This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MP3 players

edited April 2010 in Technology
I would like to dedicate this thread to the discussion of mp3 players. I have been using them since 2006 and they are, in my mind, one of the best technical innovations of the last decade. Since I gave up on talk radio, podcasts are mostly what I listen to and good podcast support can practically make or break a player for me. I also am the go to guy on mp3 players at the Best Buy I work at. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about them, but I am always happy to learn about things I do not know, so if you know of an awesome player that everyone should check out, please do post about it here. To start, I will list some of my favorite mp3 players that I have used and why.

Sansa Clip 2 gig - this was my first player with an internal battery and the screen was really bright. It didn't have a dedicated podcast section at first, but it did eventually get one through firmware updates and then this puppy really got good. Being able to listen to a podcast, then in the middle of it go and play some music, then go back to my podcast just where I was blew my mind.

Zune 30 gig - Before I got this, I had tried a second gen 8 gig Zune and returned it to the store, I liked the player but I did not like the software at the time. I got my 30 gig second hand from a friend of my brother, and by this point(last summer) the software had improved a great deal, and having a larger than 8 gig player with a big screen was absolutely awesome to me. At the time I was using the Sony E series player of what is now the last generation, and while it played video the screen was not big enough and it was picky about what it would play. The Zune is a little picky about .mp4s and .avis once they added the avi support, but what I love about the video support on the Zune is that the software will take a video and convert it into a Zune compatible format if the software can play it. The screen is big and 4:3 which is okay because I watch a lot of Japanese wrestling which is/was mostly recorded in 4:3, even today it seems. It's a bit too small and a bit too low res to really enjoy a video podcast that uses smaller fonts, though. I actually own two now, and sadly I think they are both on their way out, but I cannot complain as both of them were second hand and have gotten much longer than the expected life of an average player.

Sansa Clip + 4 gig - I initially did not like the new design of the Clip + because I quite enjoyed the power/hold switch on the old Clip and the home button, I believe, was on the top of the originals, whereas this has it on the front of the player. I got one as a secondary player to go with my Zune. It is, in my opinion, the best pure music playing mp3 player on the market. It supports mp3, wma, ogg, and flac(and possibly others I don't recall), has a very simple, functional design, and as with other recent Sansa mp3 players, it has a micro SD slot for adding memory, which really every player should do, but it is sadly rare in the mp3 player world.

I have used other players, including iPods, and I will offer my opinions on them later, but this post is already rather big and I don't want to make it bigger.

Comments

• I used to use a Sansa, actually, and I quite liked it, though the default software sucked balls. I used Rockbox on it, and loved it to death.

However, my car interfaces very nicely with the iPod, so when it came time for a new player, I jumped onto the Apple boat.

I also used to use a...Creative Labs Jukebox, I think it was. It was an older high-capcity (60 GB) player roughly the size of a Walkman. Man, I loved that thing.
  • That's one thing I don't like about the way mp3 players are moving, we're losing the reasonably sized high capacity option that's not a touch screen. I know I could find an old 80 or 120 gig Zune, and that's probably what I will do to replace my current one, but I really feel like I should be able to get something in the 30-120 gig range with flash memory and buttons that is of this generation. Microsoft has been extremely good in that my 30 gig can play all the non HD formats a Zune HD can play thanks to firmware updates, so effectively a new 120 gig Zune is of this generation, but I shouldn't have to go hunting, I want to go to my own store and get one of these players, no problem.
    And before you mention the iPod Classic, I have tried the iPod classic, and I do not like it. I will elaborate on my issues with iPods later.
  • Generation 3 iPod -> Generation 5 iPod -> PSP -> iPod Touch
    First one lasted for a long ass time, second one had a hard drive failure within 6 months, and I never bothered to replace it because I found that I liked using the PSP better anyway. The iPod Touch is a very recent purchase, and it's mostly for development purposes.
  • edited April 2010
    sansa clipper, myself. once it fizzles, i'm upgrading to the 8+.

i enjoy the small size because it's more portable, lighter..
    i clip it on my shirt collar, plug in some earphones with a short cable, and i'm ready to go.

as nice as a small touchscreen music playing restaurant owning computer (read: electronic leash to netherspace) might be,
    i probably won't convert from my nokia brick and sansa clip until the battery life is comparable.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited April 2010

I also used to use a...Creative Labs Jukebox, I think it was. It was an older high-capcity (60 GB) player roughly the size of a Walkman. Man, I loved that thing.
    I used to have one of them, great thing. Then I put in a 40Gb laptop HD in it, but driver issues and terrible software left me to abandon it.

I've had various since, like a Sony thing and an ipod shuffle. Now I have a ipod touch 32Gb and it's great. Don't see myself upgrading for a while yet.
    Post edited by foofly on
  • My first MP3 player was a Creative Zen Nano, which was 2GB and had the ability to record voice and record from FM.

My second was a Creative Zen Micro, which was similar to the Nano, except it had no FM and could be removed from the battery portion and plugged straight into a usb port.

My third was a Sandisk Sansa e250, which had 2gb internal memory and a MicroSD Slot. This is currently being used as my car MP3 player.

I'm very much looking into getting a Zune.
  • my first player at the end of high school was a Creative Zen Sleek 20gb. It lasted a long time but I stopped using it once i got a car with no tape deck. but started again when I got a new car with a tape deck. I loved my creative but the battery life just was eliminated at the end and I eventually stopped using it when I got another car with a CD player.
    My parents got me my first player with out me even asking for one. I got it for Christmas and the summer before I had $700 worth of CDs stolen so this was a way to bring my collection with me.

I used it a lot and heavy. The lock button eventually gave out and it would die frequently. I wanted to get another Creative but I found that they did not make hard drive based players any more. I had been working in Electronics since I got out of High School and knew I definitely didn't want an iPod. a friend had a Zune and I was sold.

Christmas 2008 my parents got me a Zune 8gb which I returned and Got a Zune 120. I LOVE my zune. and My Zune Pass is awesome and i love it. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade again the Zune HD will have a much bigger capacity
  • my first player at the end of high school was a Creative Zen Sleek 20gb. It lasted a long time but I stopped using it once i got a car with no tape deck. but started again when I got a new car with a tape deck. I loved my creative but the battery life just was eliminated at the end and I eventually stopped using it when I got another car with a CD player.
    My parents got me my first player with out me even asking for one. I got it for Christmas and the summer before I had $700 worth of CDs stolen so this was a way to bring my collection with me.

I used it a lot and heavy. The lock button eventually gave out and it would die frequently. I wanted to get another Creative but I found that they did not make hard drive based players any more. I had been working in Electronics since I got out of High School and knew I definitely didn't want an iPod. a friend had a Zune and I was sold.

Christmas 2008 my parents got me a Zune 8gb which I returned and Got a Zune 120. I LOVE my zune. and My Zune Pass is awesome and i love it. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade again the Zune HD will have a much bigger capacity
    I've seen rumors of the 64 gig Zune HD, apparently Microsoft had it listed on zune.net for a very short while, that looks to be the next step.
  • oh yea, That woould be cool, but I might even wait for something bigger
  • My Gen 5 60-gb iPod is beginning to show signs of wear and tear. The screen is scratched (too bad to fix), the metal backing is loose, and it locks up every day now. I was looking at an Archos to replace it, but apparently, you have to buy plug-ins for it to work. When I can afford it (and get a job), I'll just get a 64 gb iPod touch. If it weren't for the fact it was Windows-only, I would probably get a Zune instead. I don't really like the direction Apple is going.
  • From what I understand the Archos tablets come compatible with certain formats and you can add more by buying codec packs which are overpriced but make them play things nothing else natively plays from what I've seen. The Android tablets seem unstable but that can always get better with time. I can say, having tried surfing the web on this, the iPod touch, and the Zune HD, the Archos is the best web surfer and the screen is beautiful for watching videos. I'd keep an eye on how that one develops because if they get stable those Archos tablets are stupid awesome from what I've seen.
  • From what I understand the Archos tablets come compatible with certain formats and you can add more by buying codec packs which are overpriced but make them play things nothing else natively plays from what I've seen. The Android tablets seem unstable but that can always get better with time. I can say, having tried surfing the web on this, the iPod touch, and the Zune HD, the Archos is the best web surfer and the screen is beautiful for watching videos. I'd keep an eye on how that one develops because if they get stable those Archos tablets are stupid awesome from what I've seen.
    It seems I stand corrected. Apparently, the Android tablets have most of what I need built in.
  • Please forgive a possibly stupid question, but does anyone know of a good (hopefully free) program to copy music and tags from an iPod to a computer? How about a program that detects duplicates on the iPod itself?
  • edited July 2010
    I think Floola can do that but it's finicky about what kind of iPod wit will work with.

Edit: The screenshots page shows it detecting duplicates.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Please forgive a possibly stupid question, but does anyone know of a good (hopefully free) program to copy music and tags from an iPod to a computer? How about a program that detects duplicates on the iPod itself?
    For removing duplicates, how about iTunes?

For moving music from the iPod TO he computer, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Evil closed source Apple strikes again.
  • Woah, Floola added a bunch of stuff since I last saw. It can dowload your podcasts and put them straight into your iPod without iTunes. If I just stick it on my iPod then I can update while I'm out and about.
    For removing duplicates, how about iTunes?
    iTunes doesn't seem to want to detect duplicates on the iPod itself. It will detect dupes fine when you ask it to detect the actual library you have loaded, but when I have gone down to the library available on the actual iPod, iTunes won't allow the "Detect Duplicates" feature.
  • Senuti (itunes backwards) will get stuff from ipod to computer for mac, idump for windows, at least for gen 3 ipods. I don't know about newer ones.
  • For moving music from the iPod TO he computer, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Evil closed source Apple strikes again.
    It's not impossible. LifeHacker has a nice guide on how-to.
  • It's not impossible.LifeHacker has a nice guide on how-to.
    Didn't say it was. It's just a pain in the ass.
  • Please forgive a possibly stupid question, but does anyone know of a good (hopefully free) program to copy music and tags from an iPod to a computer?
    It may have changed since then but I've done this in the past and it seemed fairly easy at the time. Basically all I had to do was switch the iPod to drive mode, and copy everything into a folder, and then dump the folder's contents into itunes. If you don't move it into itunes, it all of the songs have weird filenames.

I started out with a 64 meg black crappy mp3 player a few years back with a 128meg SD card in it which I used until it basically fell apart. Then I graduated to a red (sandisk maybe?) player with a 1 gig sd card.Then I got a Zune 30 which I still currently use. I also use a pink 2 gig sansa clip I picked up basically new in a $6 bag of random electronics at goodwill a year ago.
  • Well, I have officially sworn off Apple products, having just been royally screwed by them for the 4th time in recent memory, let alone the 7 iPod replacements I had to have over the course of 4 months back in '08.

I need a new, non-Apple music player. I don't need a crazy number of features, just playing a variety of file formats and decent syncing features is fine. I don't even need perfect podcast functionality, since I don't listen to many podcasts anymore. The key feature that I absolutely need, however, is space. I would say I need 60GB, minimum. 40GB or so is technically a possibility, but I would need other details (such as price, other features I may like, etc) to justify that. Anybody have some good recommendations?
  • I need a new, non-Apple music player. I don't need a crazy number of features, just playing a variety of file formats and decent syncing features is fine. I don't even need perfect podcast functionality, since I don't listen to many podcasts anymore. The key feature that I absolutely need, however, is space. I would say I need 60GB, minimum. 40GB or so is technically a possibility, but I would need other details (such as price, other features I may like, etc) to justify that. Anybody have some good recommendations?
    WTF do people need so much space? There is no way you are actually going to listen to all of that. Just get an iPod and don't hit it with a hammer this time.
  • I bought a Zune (yep, I'm the guy who bought that one Zune they sold that one time) 4 years ago and I'm still using it right now in fact.
  • WTF do people need so much space?
    Quite. My ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION is something along the lines of 15GB, and I certainly wouldn't need all that BS lugged around with me.
  • edited February 2011
    Quite. My ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION is something along the lines of 15GB, and I certainly wouldn't need all that BS lugged around with me.
    I have about 11 gigs, but that's because I actively don't collect music anymore, but now you can play video on it, so who knows it can fill up quick.. I know my 8 gig memory card for my blackberry fills up with podcasts really quick.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Quite. My ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION is something along the lines of 15GB, and I certainly wouldn't need all that BS lugged around with me.
    Loser, mine is like 90 gigs...(none of it collected in the last 5 years or so)
    My collection is quite large, but there's no reason to carry it all with me everywhere. I create playlists and actually manage the music. It's not that hard. That's why I use iTunes, because while it's a nightmare, it's a double nightmare in any other system.
  • I bought a 120gb Zune and I've been unable to fill even half of it even with a lot of videos and stuff. The biggest kick in the balls is that it's not usable as a regular hard drive, although top Zune scientists are working on a way to hack that up.
  • My ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION is something along the lines of 15GB
    I think I have 15 GB of progressive post-black ambient noise metal alone.
    My collection is quite large, but there's no reason to carry it all with me everywhere.
    I know I've said this before, but at least for me, I never quite know what sort of mood I'm going to wind up in throughout the day. Different music is appropriate for different moods. So, I'm never quite sure which 16 gb of my music I'll want at any given point.

Lately, I've taken to just using the most recent 4 months' worth of new releases. I have to get better about staying on top of it, though.
  • So, I'm never quite sure which 16 gb of my music I'll want at any given point.
    16GB is a fuckton of music. If you can't keep something for every mood in 16GB, you are one moody mother fucker.