This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX vs. AB: Thoughts?

Comments

• Acting like a loud immature obnoxious brat will get you attention at an anime con. Acting that same way at PAX will get you shunned by the masses and possibly booted.
    This seems to be the case, but then you have the witch.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    This seems to be the case, but then you have the witch.
    It's a fine line. It was novel at PAX, just like the first cat-eared-stormtrooper or Jewish Wolfwood was at an anime con. If someone does this next year, it will be not awesome, but annoying. At least, that's my wager. Any PAX stunt only works once.

Maybe we need to show Gabe and Tycho what anime cons are like on the East Coast. I don't think they realize quite what goes on. Spectacle begets spectacle, until it's all meaningless noise.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • This seems to be the case, but then you have the witch.
    isolated incident. (channeling republicans in the aftermath violence of the HCR bill) (Also note: it involved cos-players see above discussion)
  • I thought the witch was awesome, and if the convention center staff hadn't been freaked out by it (and prepared to throw her out on the next outburst) she could have done it all day. As it was, she required Enforcer intervention to keep from being chucked by the center staff.

I know that at PAX you can (and people have) been thrown out for boorish behavior or breaking one of the rules, but at the same time the PAX staff goes way out of its way to be as nice and accommodating as possible. This wouldn't be possible with a more aggressive or dickish crowd. I don't know if the crowd is nice because we are nice, or the crowd is nice and we can be nice because of it, I do know that working PAX is unlike any other convention. The Boston Police were actually asking why there were even there, since they weren't needed (at least until the data theft incident).

Isn't comparing AB to PAX a case of apples and oranges?
  • Another thing to point out. I remember having a conversation with someone about how you can't compare PAX to anime cons because PAX is a for-profit con. It's actually not. I'm pretty sure I heard this from another PAX Section Head where PAX is a non-profit con. All the money goes to supporting the next PAX/PAX East. The rest goes to Child's Play. That blew me away when I heard that. Just keeps reinforcing how awesome PAX is.
    There's a huge difference between non-profit and 'just paying the bills'. PAX is on an exponential growth curve still, and is mostly just paying the bills. But don't get the wrong impression; Khoo capitalizes the shit out of pax, and will do more so in the future. PAX sells a lot of PA merch, endorses the PA brand as a whole, and will not always be growing as fast as it is. The PA guys live in nice neighborhoods and drive nice cars; PAX isn't the only reason, but it doesn't hurt.

That said: Not a one of the PA guys is in it for the money. They're in it because they all genuinely love games, gaming, and the people surrounding it. Khoo doesn't get excited over the financial figures at the end of the weekend, he gets excited over the gamers and the fun that was had. When Dave Coffman sent out his "Thank you" to managers, it was written with heartfelt appreciation and with sincere love for the hobby; I know it because even though he wears a fancy suit and is paid for this now, he's a friend and will always be DiscoDaisy to me.

PAX exists because the gaming community wants it to exist. It's by gamers, for gamers, and thank you all for coming :)
  • Isn't comparing AB to PAX a case of apples and oranges?
    Comparing PAX to even other gaming cons is apples to oranges. PAX is such a different beast that it's a gamechanger for everyone.
  • There's a huge difference between non-profit and 'just paying the bills'. PAX is on an exponential growth curve still, and is mostly just paying the bills. But don't get the wrong impression; Khoo capitalizes the shit out of pax, and will do more so in the future. PAX sells alotof PA merch, endorses the PA brand as a whole, and will not always be growing as fast as it is. The PA guys live in nice neighborhoods and drive nice cars; PAX isn't the only reason, but it doesn't hurt.
    I understand that. It's ridiculous how the PA Merch lines never went down.

Khoo just knows how to be a baller, but in a non-asshole greedy way.
    PAX exists because the gaming community wants it to exist. It's by gamers, for gamers, and thank you all for coming :)
    QFT
  • Khoo just knows how to be a baller, but in a non-asshole greedy way.
    He's passionate about it, and also smart about it. Were GeekNights to start its own con, you can bet your ass we'd make it technically "for profit" but in reality re-invest all of the money into future events. The restrictions on a non-profit are too great.
  • He's passionate about it, and also smart about it.
    Indeed. I actually saw people stopping him and asking for his autograph and pictures with him. At first I was surprised, but when I thought about it, it's not that surprising.
  • Comparing PAX to even other gaming cons is apples to oranges. PAX is such a different beast that it's a gamechanger for everyone.
    See, having not been to many large gaming conventions (Like Dragon Con) or big industry conventions like (E3 and San Deigo Comic Con) I'm not sure how much different PAX is from these or if PAX is just a different mix of convention then we've seen (How many hardcore industry video game AND board-card game conventions are there?) would PAX benefit from a anime-related track of events? I don't really think it needs to add something like that.
  • Think of any large gathering as looping behavior. If you do something that is praised by the majority of the group, you will continue to do so.

At anime cons, the majority enjoy duck duck goose, running, screaming meemes, and causing a ruckus.

At pax they enjoy playing games, talking, and laughing at the ocasional witty joke.

Thus these actions are done by the attention whore. So I truely believe there are attention whores at both conventions, the ones at pax just get attention in a way we as geeknights listoners don't mind. (calm, witty, and non-damaging to others)

So why do the people at anime Boston enjoy the yelling and destrutive behavior? I think it's the atmosphere of the con. Anime Boston is thought of as a party/rave where you can yell and "be yourself" (aka: be rude and destructive) because the people who go to the con can't get this anywhere else.
    People who go to pax can't get the games and pannels anywhere else, so their goal isn't to yell and scream... But to experience games and pannels.

Talk to the attendees about their specific goals for the con. Pax will involve playing games and meeting people. Anime cons involve having fun (acting loud and running) and yelling their favorite jokes.

(Done on iPhone. Sorry for any errors)
  • DiscoDaisy
    OHHH. Disco DAISY. I was introduced to this man at PAX East, but I didn't quite hear when his name was said. I called him Disco Dan, and he corrected me that his name was Dave. We shared some words concerning the possibilities of an artist alley or "bring your own awesome" area at future PAXes.
  • edited April 2010
    DiscoDaisy
    OHHH. Disco DAISY. I was introduced to this man at PAX East, but I didn't quite hear when his name was said. I called him Disco Dan, and he corrected me that his name was Dave. We shared some words concerning the possibilities of an artist alley or "bring your own awesome" area at future PAXes.
    He and Khahil are the ones to talk to to make it happen; I'm looking forward to it, whatever happens. PAX is pretty big, but still growing, and it's only going to keep getting more awesome.

Edit: And just for clarity, he's more properly known by the handle "DiscoDave"; but we'll always remember who he plays as in Mariokart.
    Post edited by GauntletWizard on
  • Because the anime geek and the gaming geek crowds are different?
    Not really...I mean, in some cases, but just about every Anime fan I talk to is a gaming fan. Maybe they don't have the patience for board games or the like, but a lot of them know good video games.
  • edited April 2010
    Comparing PAX to even other gaming cons is apples to oranges. PAX is such a different beast that it's a gamechanger for everyone.
    What about GenCon? I've never been, but I have it on good authority that it's relatively civilized.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What about GenCon? I've never been, but I have it on good authority that it's relatively civilized.
    I've never seen wild crazy behavior at any board game/table top roleplaying convention.
  • edited April 2010
    What about GenCon? I've never been, but I have it on good authority that it's relatively civilized.
    I have also never been, and I have heard that it is civilized. However, I don't think I'll ever really enjoy going. The main reason is that GenCon is an individually ticketed event. You have to buy a badge to get in. Then, you have you schedule your con in advance. You pick exactly which games you want to play in at which times, and pay for individual tickets to each and every one of them, if they aren't full yet. The fact that GenCon requires money like this keeps most of the punk kids at bay. Nobody will show up unless they are serious enough about games to pay. Also, just about everyone is actually sitting and playing games the whole time.

Most gaming cons which included tabletop are like this. Even little old Ubercon required you to sign up for scheduled games on paper or on the web site before the con. I think the fact that PAX has only one ticket, and that there is no strict schedule for non-tournament games, is why people are crazy for it. GenCon and others might draw a crowd, but they don't have the buzz. I get the feeling those cons are the same old gamers year after year just doing their thing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have also never been, and I have heard that it is civilized. However, I don't think I'll ever really enjoy going. The main reason is that GenCon is an individually ticketed event. You have to buy a badge to get in. Then, you have you schedule your con in advance. You pick exactly which games you want to play in at which times, and pay for individual tickets to each and every one of them, if they aren't full yet.

Most gaming cons which included tabletop are like this. Even little old Ubercon required you to sign up for scheduled games on paper or on the web site before the con. I think the fact that PAX has only one ticket, and that there is no strict schedule for non-tournament games, is why people are crazy for it. GenCon and others might draw a crowd, but they don't have the buzz. I get the feeling those cons are the same old gamers year after year just doing their thing.
    Well, fuck. I was going to go this year to get in some Paranoia with a friend, but I might just have to run my own game. The PAX system sounds vastly superior.
  • GenCon and others might draw a crowd, but they don't have the buzz. I get the feeling those cons are the same old gamers year after year just doing their thing.
    Exactly. Gencon and the like are Apples to the PAX Oranges, but not in the same way that anime cons are. My experience at gaming cons (going back to middle school in Michigan) is that they're very subdued, insular, quiet, and demographically skewed toward older gamers. Everyone's friendly, but it's an entirely different energy.
  • edited April 2010
    The PAX system sounds vastly superior.
    Because it is. :P I know I shit talk about how PAX is awesome. I've been to 10 of them and plan to go to them in the future. You should go. I want to game with more new FRCF people.
    Because the anime geek and the gaming geek crowds are different?
    Not really...I mean, in some cases, but just about every Anime fan I talk to is a gaming fan. Maybe they don't have the patience for board games or the like, but a lot of them know good video games.
    I disagree. You don't see people at PAX, squeeing at every Cloud cosplay or glomping people randomly.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Because it is. :P I know I shit talk about how PAX is awesome. I've been to 10 of them and plan to go to them in the future. You should go. I want to game with more new FRCF people.
    Way ahead of you. I'm already budgeting for the experience.
  • I, like I think a bunch of the people I hung out with, just can't travel halfway across to country for pretty much anything. For me to go to PAX west is to blow a day traveling. Which brings my time away from work from 1 day to 3.
  • I know I shit talk about how PAX is awesome. I've been to 10 of them and plan to go to them in the future.
    If they keep adding PACES to the calendar, I will keep adding them to mine.
  • edited April 2010
    I'll repeat this again, Anime fans are generally 12-28 (30 being the Otaku "retirement" age:-p) and boardgame fans are 6-99 and video games are 5-50 (only because they haven't been around long enough). PAX does not have a cos-play contest or any anime content (or a Rave for that matter). DEMOGRAPHICS :-p tightly controlled events will be filled with less energy. PAX has a highly skilled staff who's job is to maintain security and safety without harming the "energy".
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Anime fans are generally 12-28
    The demographics of Anime Boston appeared to be primarily 13-17. Braces everywhere, and I could see easily over the heads of everyone at the rave.
  • edited April 2010
    he demographics of Anime Boston appeared to be primarily 13-17. Braces everywhere, and I could see easily over the heads of everyone at the rave.
    Well even worse then :-p I mean think about your teenage years, you wanted to find fun and get into some level of trouble and most importantly do that without parents around.

Being the week after PAX probably eliminated the "I can only take one weekend off for fun" lets try that cool PAX thing college crowd/young professional that might go to AB.

I know that's why I didn't go.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I mean think about your teenage years, you wanted to find fun and get into some level of trouble and most importantly do that without parents around.
    I did that with my car and friends' cars all the time. But the trouble we sought was much the same trouble I continue to seek to this day.

I spent my early anime cons hitting on cute girls, not running around screaming and playing duck-duck-goose.
  • I did that with my car and friends' cars all the time. But the trouble we sought was much the same trouble I continue to seek to this day.
    Most people don't get a trill from skirting actual imminent death. :P
  • But the trouble we sought was much the same trouble I continue to seek to this day.
    Yea but you don't have an authority figure to Dodge, unless Emily counts ;-p
  • Because it is. :P I know I shit talk about how PAX is awesome. I've been to 10 of them and plan to go to them in the future. You should go. I want to game with more new FRCF people.
    There's only been 7 PAXes :P

On the PAX schedule vs Gencon's; They're very different, but both important. PAX is not where you go to play a full campaign; Thre's too much other stuff to do to spend the time you need on just one thing. But it's great for playing quick games, or getting the feel of a new system. PAX is a wine tasting, Gencon is a weekend at a vinyard.

Also, Rym: You should do a panel on hitting on cute girls at cons. I spent this past weekend out here in Seattle at Sakuracon, and completely failed at even starting conversations.