This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX vs. AB: Thoughts?

Comments

• Also, Rym: You should do a panel on hitting on cute girls at cons. I spent this past weekend out here in Seattle at Sakuracon, and completely failed at even starting conversations.
    No need for panels, just ask girls questions about themselves, while keeping information about yourself short and interesting ;-p

• Also, Rym: You should do a panel on hitting on cute girls at cons. I spent this past weekend out here in Seattle at Sakuracon, and completely failed at even starting conversations.
    Hey, you like (insert name of show they are cosplaying)? Isn't it awesome when (insert something from that show here). Did you go to the (panel for that show)? Are you entering the masquerade? Is this your first con? What other cons have you been to? Did you go to any panels? Did you get any awesome stuff in artists alley/dealer's room? Check out the awesome (stuff I got you will like). Hey, I/we are going to (do something fun/go to X event) want to come? Ok, let's go.
  • Suave Master Scott.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey, you like La Blue Girl? Isn't it awesome when that Tentacle goes you know where. Did you go to the furry panel? Are you entering the masquerade? Is this your first con? What other cons have you been to? Did you go to any panels? Did you get any awesome stuff in artists alley/dealer's room? Check out my awesome penis. Hey, I am going to my room want to come? Ok, let's go.
    Fixed
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited April 2010
    There's only been 7 PAXes :P
    God, I've been such failboat today. I thought there were 10. Ok, I've been to 6. I blame my allergy meds.
    Also, Rym: You should do a panel on hitting on cute girls at cons. I spent this past weekend out here in Seattle at Sakuracon, and completely failed at even starting conversations.
    I never really got that vibe from you. You seem very easy to talk to and can easily talk to people. I blame the con girls. They must be too lame for you.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Check out my awesome penis.
    There's a non-zero chance that this will get you laid.
  • There's a non-zero chance that this will get you laid.
    Or just do The Naked Man from How I Met Your Mother.
  • But do you really want the girl you can pull with that pickup line?
  • There's a non-zero chance that this will get you laid.
    Well it really does depend on the girl and how awesome your penis really is :-p
    I never really got that vibe from you. You seem very easy to talk to and can easily talk to people. I blame the con girls. They must be too lame for you.
    I've only been to one Sakura-con, so I don't have a lot of data to support this, but I think that is likely the case. I found it really hard to find anyone who was actually interesting.
  • But do you really want the girl you can pull with that pickup line?
    After careful deliberation...maybe.
  • I've only been to one Sakura-con, so I don't have a lot of data to support this, but I think that is likely the case. I found it really hard to find anyone who was actually interesting.
    The fact that they had changed their jailbait marking system (The location on the badge where it says whether the attendee is over 18 or not) in a non-intuitive way didn't help, either; Took me til Sunday to work it out, and by then it was mostly teenagers hanging around.
  • edited April 2010
    Please don't tell me they actually call it a jailbait marking system.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • I'm pretty sure PAX East has shown me the light: I wish to only attend gaming cons from now on.
    Just to walk through a huge hallway full of mellow people waving and using manners, not running and tea-kettling over underserved guests was such a relief.
    It made me feel young again, whereas the meems and the Lost games and Rickrolling and "Marco-Polo" ranting really just reinforced my plans to assault children on a national basis.

Even though PAX's panels had the line-equivalent to Otakon, I'm hoping that the move next year to a larger convention space will improve the mobbing.
    And even though we couldn't find a single space to RP that we had to use MY ROOM for a simple run-through of Inspectres, PAX East is still one of my better con memories.
  • Please don't tell me they actually call it a jailbait marking system.
    It's actually called the Pediatric Emergency Detection and Observation Badge for Ensuring All is Right.
  • Please don't tell me they actually call it a jailbait marking system.
    It's just the badge marking for under 18 to enforce curfew; It just happens to be convenient to tell the general age of cosplayers when they're wearing costumes that make it less clear. I find it amusingly self-deprecating to call it that.
    Pediatric Emergency Detection and Observation Badge for Ensuring All is Right
    ^5, sir.
  • It's just the badge marking for under 18 to enforce curfew; It just happens to be convenient to tell the general age of cosplayers when they're wearing costumes that make it less clear. I find it amusingly self-deprecating to call it that.
    It is very bad to use a badge marking for this purpose. The reason is that people can just trade badges. I go up and use my ID to get a sticker, then give it to a punk kid. Then I take his badge and go get it marked with my ID again. They don't remember me.

This is why Otakon forces you to go get a (theoretically) non-removable wrist-band with your actual ID. The thing with wrist-bands, though, is that you can cut them and tape them, and most people will not notice.
  • The obvious solution is to inject an RFID capsule into their hands.
  • he obvious solution is to inject an RFID capsule into their hands.
    They would just swap hands.
  • edited April 2010
    I spent my early anime cons hitting on cute girls,
    Ahh, anime fan-girls. Desperate, cute and already dressed as Japanese schoolgirls. Also impressed by my knowledge Fullmetal Alchemist.
    Hey, you like (insert name of show they are cosplaying)? Isn't it awesome when (insert something from that show here). Did you go to the (panel for that show)? Are you entering the masquerade? Is this your first con? What other cons have you been to? Did you go to any panels? Did you get any awesome stuff in artists alley/dealer's room? Check out the awesome (stuff I got you will like). Hey, I/we are going to (do something fun/go to X event) want to come? Ok, let's go.
    You can apply that to any geek, with some tweaking.
    Hey, you like (x band/comic/videogame/anime)? Isn't it awesome when (zOMG Scott Pilgrim). Did you go to the (X geek gig)? Are you on Facebook? zOMG anime con, you been? What other cons have you been to? Blah blah blah Comicshop, Check out the awesome (stuff I got you will like). Hey, I/we are going to (do something fun/go to X event/party) want to come? Ok, let's go.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • They would just swap hands.
    If they're that dedicated to their yaoi, they deserve it.
  • Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just wondering what peoples' feelings still are on this. I mean, if you could only attend one of either PAX or Anime Boston, which one would you choose?
  • Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just wondering what peoples' feelings still are on this. I mean, if you could only attend one of either PAX or Anime Boston, which one would you choose?
    Sorry, but PAX wins all. If I could only attend one convention in the entire world, it would still be PAX. Please don't put us on the Anime Boston shit list :)
  • PAX trumps any convention we have a relationship with that isn't PAX, sorry to say.
  • Don't worry, you won't be on the AB shit list, at least not as long as I'm still running panels... It's just that it looks like AB 2012 and PAX 2012 are going to be on the same weekend (please keep it on these forums for now, even though the dates are public on the Mass Convention website. An official announcement from AB will be going public soon, but it hasn't been made yet). Unless PAX moves (AB has tried but we cannot find any other weekends within the spring timeframe that both the Hynes and the Sheraton are available, and we need both for contractual reasons), we will be going head to head next year.
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but just wondering what peoples' feelings still are on this. I mean, if you could only attend one of either PAX or Anime Boston, which one would you choose?
    Are you asking this because there is a chance they will be on the same weekend?! DON'T LET IT HAPPEN.

EDIT: OMG My guess is oh noes! I've never seen a fail so big.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The problem is that Anime Boston booked that weekend several years ago, so we did have it first. Then PAX came in and grabbed it themselves and the idiots at the Mass Convention Authority never realized that the demographics of the two cons would overlap.
  • Yeah, sorry dude. I love both, but I can't justify not going to PAX.
  • Maybe you could get in touch with the PAX people and try some kind of gigantic, joint convention.
  • The problem is that Anime Boston booked that weekend several years ago, so we did have it first. Then PAX came in and grabbed it themselves and the idiots at the Mass Convention Authority never realized that the demographics of the two cons would overlap.
    Clearly PAXes fault. I doubt Robert Khoo even knows that Anime Boston exists. Heels should have known better, though. It's a fail no matter who is at fault. Doom for Boston geekery.