This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX vs. AB: Thoughts?

Comments

• Lou, that is going to be a huge problem for AB if it comes to pass. We obviously would not be able to attend, nor would most of the people we know. More importantly, while the overlap isn't a majority by any means, it is probably larger than one might think. I would fully expect a noticeable drop in attendance at AB.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    Maybe you could get in touch with the PAX people and try some kind of gigantic, joint convention.
    I doubt many people would pay for two badges, and the cons are not close enough for much joint action (if this happens).

PAX is, sadly for AB, in a position to literally not care what it conflicts with. While I highly doubt this was intentional on their part, there is almost no event short of GDC that could possibly reduce their attendance numbers in direct competition. PAX East is a guaranteed sellout in any venue.
    Post edited by Rym on
    Lou, that is going to be a huge problem for AB if it comes to pass. We obviously would not be able to attend, nor would most of the people we know. More importantly, while the overlap isn't a majority by any means, it is probably larger than one might think. I would fully expect a noticeable drop in attendance at AB.
    I see a bigger problem.

While the conventions do have considerable overlap, there is also plenty of non-overlap. Even as it is, a lot of PAX people are staying at the Hynes-area hotels becaus there aren't enough near the BCEC. The capacity of the two conventions combined might exceed the capacity of all the hotels. Attendees of one convention or the other might be shut out simply because the hotel space will vanish almost immediately.
  • We have tried to work together with PAX in the past, but they've always been of the notion that "AB should pay us tons of money oh, and let us do what we want for free." In short, a joint con ain't gonna happen since they don't give a rat's ass about us.

We are going to approach PAX to see if they can reschedule -- it looks like the following week is available in the BCEC according to Mass Convention website, but given their prior attitudes to working with us, it's not that likely.

We tried all we could to change our dates, but the Sheraton is pretty much booked every other weekend during the spring and their cancellation fees are astronomical -- meaning we can't just drop them and move to another hotel as the official con hotel.
  • I wonder if this kind of thing can be covered by some sort of insurance.
  • but the Sheraton is pretty much booked every other weekend during the spring
    I know it's not as simple as this, and I'm not privy to a lot of what goes on at any convention at pretty much any level higher than "get to your panel room on time, jerkface", but... Does it have to be the spring? vv
  • No idea. There is foul weather cancellation insurance (which AB has and isn't too expensive), but I don't think there isn't "competing even with similar demographics decided to take place on the same day" insurance.
  • We are going to approach PAX to see if they can reschedule -- it looks like the following week is available in the BCEC according to Mass Convention website, but given their prior attitudes to working with us, it's not that likely.
    It's probably nothing personal. I'll be blunt that they have little to gain by cooperating with anyone. Who (offline if you like) are you working with on their side? I'm not sure what kind of join venture would be possible with PAX, especially as they can't really ask the Enforcers to do work for them outside of PAX at some other con.

I personally doubt they'll reschedule, but you should see what you can do. They have contractual obligations as well.
  • Does it have to be the spring
    PAX at least has to be. The two PAXes are 6 months apart for logistical reasons.
  • Well, summer is out as it's peak con season and we don't want to overlap with too many other cons. We looked at dates from February though early June and couldn't find anything. The powers that be don't want to move to the fall either -- probably because they don't want to deal with a short season in planning if they wish to stay in the spring the following year.
  • Well, summer is out as it's peak con season and we don't want to overlap with too many other cons.
    People seem to think that summer is convention season, but really it's only in late july through early September. May/June are surprisingly empty every year, at least up here in the northeast that I am aware of.

That being said, we will do everything we can to talk to people and fix this. It will have to wait probably utnil PAX and AB are over, since all the important people will be busy with their current cons.
  • I heard that June is out because of A-Kon in Texas. As it's the home con for what's left of ADV and Funimation, it makes it nearly impossible for us to work with them to get guests, videos, etc., for AB. We were willing to go up to early June, but the Sheraton is just booked solid through then.

Well, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to be your liaison to AB's exec staff if necessary. The one thing to keep in mind is that we really are stuck with the weekend we're on -- the exec staff has determined that the cancellation fees for the Sheraton are too high to make moving realistic. Now if you can convince the powers that be at PAX to move just one week later, for example, that would be amazing.
  • Now if you can convince the powers that be at PAX to move just one week later, for example, that would be amazing.
    It all depends on why they chose that week. There is a lot more money, industry, and logistics involved in a PAX than an anime con. It also depends on how much they'll tell us on the record. Can't talk about things we might know off-the-record.

If anything, the Otakon staff will likely be even more convinced that we're evil spies bent on helping Reed destroy anime cons. (We were seriously accused of that at one point ;^) ).
  • In the Words of Mario Mario, "Thisa looka nota so good!"
  • (We were seriously accused of that at one point ;^) ).
    WTF? Hahaha. I would love to have seen that conversation happen and the person who accused you guys.
  • Lou, here is one idea, at least for us personally. PAX closes at night. AB, IIRC, goes overnight in the Sheraton. Even if they are the same weekend, we can do late night stuff at AB.
  • Hell, there is some tin foil hattery on AB's staff that Reed wants to destroy Anime Boston (though they don't consider you spies on their part). Certainly the fact they got the same weekend as us doesn't help quiet those conspiracy theorists.
  • Lou, here is one idea, at least for us personally. PAX closes at night. AB, IIRC, goes overnight in the Sheraton. Even if they are the same weekend, we can do late night stuff at AB.
    Hmm, that would be helpful. It depends on the room breakdown for 2012, which I don't think is set in stone. Some of the rooms in the Hynes we have until 3 AM, but most of it closes at midnight. The Sheraton does go super-late, but we haven't done panels there in a couple years. What time do you consider "late night"?
  • What time do you consider "late night"?
    PAX ends at 2AM on Friday and Saturday. So 2AM + time to get across town. 3AM?

Sleep, whereart thou?
  • The only major geek con I can think of in June is Origins Game Fair
  • edited March 2011
    The only major geek con I can think of in June is Origins Game Fair
    Yeah, that doesn't compete with AB, so it doesn't even count.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What time do you consider "late night"?
    PAX ends at 2AM on Friday and Saturday. So 2AM + time to get across town. 3AM?

Sleep, whereart thou?
    We don't have any panels that late -- panels more or less wrap up by 2-2:30 as the Hynes closes by 3.
  • We don't have any panels that late -- panels more or less wrap up by 2-2:30 as the Hynes closes by 3.
    We could take over a screening room and do that crazy thing that Otakon was so afraid of. (MC showings with commentary).

In a pinch, we could cab over, do panels, and cab back to PAX. AB is still dear to us, even if PAX is somewhat more dear. ^_~
  • We don't have any panels that late -- panels more or less wrap up by 2-2:30 as the Hynes closes by 3.
    We could do something special maybe. Also, it might be a good idea to have that all-night programming. You might get some PAX people to buy AB badges if it will give them a chance to keep the boat rocking all night long.
  • edited March 2011
    We don't have any panels that late -- panels more or less wrap up by 2-2:30 as the Hynes closes by 3.
    We could do something special maybe. Also, it might be a good idea to have that all-night programming. You might get some PAX people to buy AB badges if it will give them a chance to keep the boat rocking all night long.
    If you're going to get any sort of join venture with PAX, I could see them be willing to split a shuttle bus route.

In other news, I'll be off to reserve my 2012 hotel room now.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I think the game room will be running uber-late, but that's over in the Sheraton, which is much more flexible with hours than the Hynes. I'll see what I can do to promote more all-night video/panel programming as we plan how we're going to cope with going up against PAX unless a miracle happens and PAX reschedules or someone in the Sheraton bails and lets us have their slot.

Oh, and I appreciate you guys willing to work with us and make some appearances at AB if things stay unchanged with respect to scheduling. :)

One thing we are doing is dumping the stupid anime con tradition of not announcing when the next con is until the current con ends. We are going to be announcing our dates as soon as they're known to us (or at least relatively close to that, anyway). That should hopefully minimize the chances of scheduling oversights like this from happening again -- especially since we book our dates several years in advance.
  • One thing we are doing is dumping the stupid anime con tradition of not announcing when the next con is until the current con ends. We are going to be announcing our dates as soon as they're known to us (or at least relatively close to that, anyway). That should hopefully minimize the chances of scheduling oversights like this from happening again -- especially since we book our dates several years in advance.
    Excellent! I really don't know why companies and organizations always hold back information unnecessarily. Obviously if something isn't set in stone yet, you don't want to say anything. But as soon as you know something, such as acquiring a license, setting a release date, definitely deciding to release a new product, etc. there's no reason I see to keep it a secret. Telling the world as soon as you know for sure only helps out your customers, attendees, etc. It can't hurt if it's true.
  • There is also no real reason not to officially announce it anyway as it's already public on the Mass Conventions website, as I said. Anyone who really wanted to could probably do a little Googling and figure it out from there. I know for a fact some dealers and some other panelists (through said dealers) knew about the date conflict several weeks ago.
  • edited March 2011
    You guys shouldn't worry so much about getting major Funmation and ADV support.. I'm sure you could survive going against a con in Texas....

Also as a head of panels for another convention (zenkaikon) in the same time area of PAX east (the week after this year) What weekend are they looking at (we are in the middle of booking our next year con dates). We also look like we are going to have a increase of attendance of about 50% to 100% of last time we had the con (judging from Pre-reg sales)... but we are FAR from Boston and Philly is definitely a fertile group for anime conventions since there is not a major one in the city other then us.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited March 2011
    Also on the whole PAX vs AB, honestly PAX is great and definitely one of the best but I have about the same fun at Connecticon. I work both but I really think it's just that having more gaming makes a con more fun because there is always a fall back.. That and the demographics of PAX are better.
    Post edited by Cremlian on