This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where are all of you people from?

Comments

• I was born and raised in Belgium. Not moving from this place until I go to RIT over at Rochester. First time I will live in another country, although I've vacationed in America for 2 months.
  • Currently in Laramie, Wyoming, USA, but will be going back to Brisbane in July.
    Drinks at the Mana Bar when you get back.
    Hell yes!
  • I was born in St. Louis, have spent most of my life in Houston, lived a year in Colombia MO, and now go to school near Albany. Other than that I've spent a semester in Denmark, a month in Israel, about a collective three weeks in Canada.
  • I was born in Baltimore, MD and moved to the boonies in northern Maryland (and into the city of Bel Air, which started growing at an alarming pace when my family moved there). When I was 9, we moved to Ellicott City, MD where I now live (when not in school).
  • Born and raised in the mountains of Hague, NY on Split Rock Road aptly named because of the big ass split rock on top of the hill. Their are trees on 4 sides of my house, and you can't see the neighbors until it's Fall.

Currently living in Delmar (Albany)
  • I was born in Queens, NY. When I was 1 I moved to Bridgeport, CT. Then Trumbull, CT at the age of 2 where I stayed until I was 18, with excursions to summer camp and such. Lived in Rochester, NY for 5 years, then lived in Beacon, NY, now live in Astoria, NY. Full circle.
  • Born and raised in Crown Point, NY, a tiny (<2,000 when I was growing up) rural town in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in Essex County. I lived about 20 miles north of templar21, which is roughly a 40 minute drive. Distances are measured by time, not miles; it was 20 minutes to the nearest decent grocery store and an hour to the nearest movie theater.

A lot of people I know claim to have grown up with little, around nothing. By and large, I find that they really don't know what it is to grow up with <i>nothing nothing. Crown Point and Hague will teach you what "nothing" really means. The only source of reasonable employment - other than self-employment as a mechanic or something - is the International Paper mill in Ticonderoga. It's the only real source of jobs for all of the surrounding villages and towns, and the mill essentially owns everybody's livelihood. Sort of like coal miners in West Virginia, actually.

It's a very, very different life in rural upstate NY.

Currently living in Albany, NY. It's a pretty nice city, all things considered. I'm digging the Capital District.
  • Born in Monterrey, Mexico, moved to Zacatecas when I was 1 for like six months. Then moved to Ciudad Juarez for 2 years and then went back to Monterrey. I lived there until 2 years ago when I graduated college and got a job in Reynosa. Might be going back to Monterrey soon.

Of course no one outside of Mexico will know any of this cities, so let's just say, yeah I'm from Mexico.
  • This is actually a very fascinating thread because it's interesting to see where people were born and the paths they went while growing up. Good thread, Kerr.
  • Good thread, Kerr.
  • Horsham, PA then Rochester NY for College, then Hatboro PA.... (note that school district in Horsham is called Hatboro-Horsham, I have no moved far :-p) Also North Wildwood NJ in the summers.
  • Oh well, no one guessed, I'm English, moved to Spain at 12 and then to Florida to go to the University of Florida. Now I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
  • I was in ft lauderdale for three months a few summers ago repairing a yatch. It was agonizingly hot. How do you manage?
  • I was in ft lauderdale for three months a few summers ago repairing a yatch. It was agonizingly hot. How do you manage?
    I don't get out much, so air conditioning saves me from melting.
  • edited April 2010
    Born and Currently Living in Harrisonburg, since August 09. Apartment living is crazy.

Between all of that, I lived in Luray, VA, home of Luray Caverns. Boring Town for the most part. I got annoyed around the time I graduated High School, because A NEW HIGH SCHOOL was finally constructed after I left. We never had a Middle School, so the old High School Building became a Middle School. :P
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I hail from the frozen lands to the north, also known as Canada. Born in Winnipeg MB, also known as the other Siberia or sometimes hell manifest on earth.

I'm still living in the hellhole, but hopefully next week the army tells me where I'm going to live, if not I'm moving out to B.C.
  • We never had a Middle School, so the old High School Building became a High School. :P
    Do you mean to say the old high school became a middle school? That's what happened to the middle school I went to. Fun fact: it was the high school that Vince Neil and Tommy Lee from Motley Crue went to.
  • We never had a Middle School, so the old High School Building became a High School. :P
    Do you mean to say the old high school became a middle school? That's what happened to the middle school I went to. Fun fact: it was the high school that Vince Neil and Tommy Lee from Motley Crue went to.
    ....yes. /edit!
  • Carinthia, Austria. Born, raised and still living there.
  • Carinthia, Austria. Born, raised
    On a playground, where you spent most of your days?
  • Chillin' out maxin', relaxin' all cool;
    And all shootin' some b-ball outside of the school.
  • Born: Southern England.
    Lived: North East England and Yorkshire
    Now living: In Berlin

Result: I say I'm from Berlin, as it is the only place I've chosen to live just because I want to live there, rather than moving with family, for university, for work, etc.

Secondary result: people think I'm a German with a very clear English accent.

Tertiary result: everyone from the north of England thinks I'm southern, and everyone from the south thinks I'm northern. Thankfully nobody thinks I'm from the midlands.
  • That's what happened to the middle school I went to. Fun fact: it was the high school that Vince Neil and Tommy Lee from Motley Crue went to.
    Yeah, well Edward Norton graduated from my High School.
  • My great, great, great aunt is Eudora Welty. Commence with head scratching.
  • edited April 2010
    I am from Highgate, London,
    Fun Fact about Highgate, we have Karl Marx, Douglas Adams, Michael Faraday, Alexander Litvinenko and Jacob Bronowski buried in our cemetery. All we need now is to bury Noam Chompsky and we have a whole set of liberal thinkers!
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I was born beneath the sea, in fair Atlanta.
    Hail Atlanta!
    50 seconds in.
  • edited April 2010
    Lived in Carlow, Ireland for many years as a child, moved to Leicester, UK where I currently reside although I did spend three years in South Wales doing a degree.
    Post edited by foofly on
  • I live in Manchester NH.

I am the 6th Generation of my family in this city
  • London, England.
  • London, England.
    Oh oh oh, where in London?