This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where are all of you people from?

Comments

• 1970 - 1973: Livermore, CA (infant)
    1973 - 1989: Albuquerque, NM (kid)
    1989 - 1994: Houston, TX/Columbia, MD (college kid)
    1994 - 1999: Livermore, CA (graduate student)
    1999 - 2007: Los Alamos, NM (working stiff)
    2007 - 2010+: Ellicott City, MD (see above)
  • Now I have all your towns of birth I can answer your security questions and take over your email accounts.
  • Where are all of you people from?
    We're from a place where we don't end our sentences with prepositions.
  • edited April 2010
    ...This isn't possible. My browser is lying.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Ellicott City, MD (see above)
    What? WHAT? That's where I live! We need to hang out when I get back from school!

• 1989 - 1994: Houston, TX/Columbia, MD (college kid)
    Rice University, or other?
    We thought you finally became cosmic dust, welcome back.
  • ...This isn't possible. My browser is lying.
    He lives! We missed you!
  • We're from a place where we don't end our sentences with prepositions.
    OH FUCK IT'S A ZOMBIE! ARM YOURSELVES! THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!

Hi Joe. We missed you.
    You're back :D
  • You know Joe is a loved forumite when 4 members welcome him back in less than 10 seconds.
  • You know Joe is a loved forumite when 4 members welcome him back in less than 10 seconds.
    Five, I whispered.
  • edited April 2010
    ...This isn't possible. My browser is lying.
    Yay! Joe is back!
    I've missed you.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I missed hi Captain American Shield avatar.
    Well, I also missed him :D
  • Yay it's Joe. :>
  • edited April 2010
    I've been on hold with Comcast this entire time, so I couldn't use my dial-up Compuserve connection.

Thanks. all.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited April 2010
    My original post could be considered a welcome, but in case it wasn't recognized as such: Welcome back. It's been a little less awesome without you.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's the Joe!
  • Rice University, or other?
    Rice indeed. Baker '93
  • edited April 2010
    Which reminds me of something I think I heard on the Ark.

A/an [insert non-snooty university name here] student is visiting [insert snooty private university name here], stops one of the locals and asks "Excuse me, where's the library at?"

The local student frowns and says "Here at [Snooty U], we never end our sentences with a preposition!".

The [NonSnooty U] guy replies "I'm sorry. Where's the library at, asshole?"

The texan side of my family chose "Texas Aggie" and "Harvard", but I am sure any region would have its equivalents.
    Post edited by Hank on
  • Grandpa Joe's back? Oh my...

We put the newspapers next to your chair, welcome home.
  • Which reminds me of something I think I heard on the Ark.
    Made all the more amusing by the fact that it's not actually a rule of English grammar, and thus, this is the sort of thing up with which I shall not put.

It's a silly bullshit rule made up by early grammarians(and quickly thrown away) trying to make English conform to the grammar rules of Latin, and it has never actually been a rule of grammar.
  • edited April 2010
    What Churba said. Seriously though, some sentences that are ended with prepositions just sound stupid. I mean, is it really necessary to add "at" to the end of "where are you?" The question is already complete.

Also, hey Joe!
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I come from inside the city. Figure that one out.
    Which borough? If you're from Staten Island, you can shove it where the sun don't shine.
    You're obviously from Brisbane.
  • Born in San Fransisco, moved to Rockville, MD when I was 4, then to North Potomac, MD (like 10 minutes from the first townhouse we moved into), then Rochester NY for collage, then back to MD in Gaithersburg (again, like 10 minutes from my parents' place), then to Piffard, NY for about a month. Then on to Buffalo, NY for a couple of years and finally to Albany, NY.
    ATF Agent Bork: Chief, you know that guy whose camper they were whacking off in?
    ATF Agent Flemming (appalled): Bork! You are a federal agent! You represent the United States Government! Never end a sentence with a preposition! Try again.
    Bork: Oh, uh... You know that guy in whose camper they... I mean that guy off in whose camper they were whacking?
    Flemming: That's better. Yes?
    ATF Agent Bork:Chief, you know that guy whose camper they were whacking off in?
    ATF Agent Flemming (appalled):Bork! You are a federal agent! You represent the United States Government! Never end a sentence with a preposition! Try again.
    Bork:Oh, uh... You know that guy in whose camper they... I mean that guy off in whose camper they were whacking?
    Flemming:That's better. Yes?
    *high five* I thought about that, but didn't know the dialogue.
  • I've spent my entire life in one of two suburbs of Boston, MA, and a small city or town, I'm not sure which, that's right next to those suburbs.