This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

167891012»

Comments

• I also got accosted by some dude selling braided bracelets up on the top of Montmartre. Outside of the accosting, though, both "tourist traps" were actually quite nice. The view at the top of the Eiffel was gorgeous, and Montmatre and the Sacre Coeur church were also very nice to experience.

When I did my interailing our first stop was Paris and my mate got suckered into the braided bracelets thing. He kept it on for the rest of the trip as a reminder not to be so soft in future.

To the person who said that Big Ben is a clock, technically it is a bell ;)

We did Times Square when we were in NYC but were only there for about 30 mins if that, we walked up one side and came down the other, only really stopping to see the ferris wheel in the toy shop, because you know it was a ferris wheel in side a shop. Although out of all the things we did in NY, this was way down the list of highlights. Personally Ellis Island was my highlight with the free tour but then again I am a history geek. Oh and going to see the Giants play but that is in NY so doesn't really count.
  • UncleUlty said:

I pooped on the Great Wall and then watched somebody step in it. ;^)

You should try that in Times Square, where it's considered a pastime.
  • Does anyone in the city have a couch I could crash on? Blair Crimmins and the Hookers is playing an all ages show in East Village Feb 16. I'm trying to figure out if I could go. I promise not to be a hassle.
  • Important Question! What is the best place to get a Grilled Cheese Sandwich in Midtown Manhattan?
  • UncleUlty said:

Important Question! What is the best place to get a Grilled Cheese Sandwich in Midtown Manhattan?

There are many many such places. Even the aforementioned Carnegie Deli will sell you one. The only places specializing it that I know of are the Gorilla Cheese truck and the recently opened Melt Shop.

http://www.gorillacheesenyc.com/

http://meltshop.com/

I wouldn't say they are the best ever, but they are pretty good.
  • Think Coffee has damn fine grilled cheese sandwiches. More downtown though.
  • Rym said:

Think Coffee has damn fine grilled cheese sandwiches. More downtown though.

Pesto grilled cheese is a perfect combination.
  • Pesto grilled cheese is a perfect combination.

Dang y'all. Pesto? One if these is in my near future. There's a board game night this Friday.
  • Oh hey! I think I'll go, and possibly bring Glory to Rome, Hanabi, or something.
  • I'll come by. Be there early. Might not stay super late though. Skiing tomorrow!
  • edited February 2014
    Would come if not for a problem set due at midnight.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Got held up with some work stuff. I'll be a no-show too. Next month!
  • New York City, I am in you! ...And you want to dump snow on me. Today was the day I had planned to hike all over Midtown to see all the things. It will be slightly more difficult but not impossible right now.
  • I've already managed to get a lot done today. However I think this weather solidifies why I couldn't live in the city. EVERY crosswalk was flooded ankle deep, and after walking about 10-15 blocks, my shoes and socks were soaked through. Every time I got to a crosswalk I was just like "Ugh, really? Again?"

But everything I didn't complain about was really cool. So basically I just had that one problem today. Otherwise I had a blast. I walked from my hotel to Bryant Park and the Library, then checked out Grand Central. I was gonna go to the UN Building, but decided that it wasn't worth the walk right now. So instead I cut up to Rockerfeller Center, couldn't easily find the Nintendo store so I gave up there too, and went over to McGee's Tavern for lunch. Now I'm back in the hotel trying to return my shoes to a state other than pure water.
  • You gotta jump those puddles, bro.

Also, waterproof boots.
  • Yeah the boots are my bad - since I was packing for a 2 week trip covering 4 states, I opted against them since I didn't see snow on the forecast back then and they would have necessitated a larger suitcase. But I'll spend the afternoon drying the shoes and hopefully by tonight the sidewalks will be better.

I did think I had the jumping of the puddles down pretty well, until I got to 47th and Lexington where I slipped on the ice and fell. Didn't hurt anything, but on the way down my only reaction was my deadpan voice saying, "Welp, there goes that."
  • edited August 2014
    Is there someone whose couch/floor I could crash on for a weekend in October? I've been invited to see a Broadway production by one of the actors, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere to sleep.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Oh, yeah, I'm in New York this weekend, for the last time before moving out to San Francisco. Should have mentioned that sooner.
  • It appears I will be getting an interview on the 19th, anyone interested in meeting up after that for some gaming?
  • Change of plans looks like interview is Monday might go up on Sunday and find a cheap play to stay (I know there is none but something close to this place isn't a bad idea right?)

Anyone know of any good spots in the financial district or place to meet up with you guys?
  • You can stay in NYC at a nice, clean, low-end chain hotel, like one of the Marriot or Hilton sub-brands, for somewhere in the $130-199 ballpark depending on a few factors. That's not obscene, and is frankly a fucking steal for NYC. You can also haggle with hotels if you're willing to call them up to make a reservation and potential have to call around a few places.
  • Gonna be in the city. November 1 and 2, if anyone wanted to meet up. Right now all I've got on my schedule is going to see my friend Liz's play at 3 on Sunday.
  • Greg said:

Gonna be in the city. November 1 and 2, if anyone wanted to meet up. Right now all I've got on my schedule is going to see my friend Liz's play at 3 on Sunday.

Supetartfight show? I am planning to hit that
  • Speaking of anyone else thinking about going to the super art fight show on Nov. 1st?
  • Coldguy said:

Speaking of anyone else thinking about going to the super art fight show on Nov. 1st?

Already have ticket.
  • Strongly considered it back when it was announced, but I'm out.