This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• I looked at cons in the US in September, and both PAX and DragonCon are the same weekend. Going to either would effectively double the cost of my holiday. Also, for you going to Seattle is your holiday, and New York is just where you live. For me going to New York is the holiday. That said, the idea of landing on Thursday is that if I do decide to check out DragonCon, I'd be able to fly down on Friday morning and not miss more than a few hours.
  • Other northeast happenings in that time frame:

- Horrorfind Weekend in Gettysburg, PA, September 3-5 if horror movies is your thing [personally I'll be out west at PAX instead]
    - World Maker Faire at the NYC Hall of Science, September 25 & 26th.
  • -World Maker Faire at the NYC Hall of Science, September 25 & 26th.
    Okay, so now I have new best-case date for the end of the holiday.
  • I just book my flight home from New York. I'll be there from the 2nd to the 27th of September. Now all I need to is find myself a place to live! The only way to get an apartment for myself without paying through the nose is to swap with someone who wants to be in Berlin for September. Otherwise I need to look for a room in a shared apartment.

So I can narrow my search, where is the most happening/interesting part of New York to stay for a month?
  • I just book my flight home from New York. I'll be there from the 2nd to the 27th of September. Now all I need to is find myself a place to live! The only way to get an apartment for myself without paying through the nose is to swap with someone who wants to be in Berlin for September. Otherwise I need to look for a room in a shared apartment.
    Couchsurfing is one option. Finding a sublet on Craigslist is also a good option. There are plenty of people with leases on multi-room apartments looking to fill the empty rooms. I know Rym or I could offer you our couches, but that's really only good for a few nights, not an entire month.

If you are looking for happening areas you can go to Williamsburg Brooklyn, where the hipsters live, or any area with the word "village" in its name.
  • Cool, I'll check those places. I'm not looking for hipsters, more like somewhere with stuff happening, plus good transport. Thanks for the offer of a couch, but in an emergency situation I'm far more likely to head to a hotel for a night. To be clear, I'm very far from interested in couch surfing for an entire month. I have a budget for this holiday, but I'm not "on a budget". Also, standards.
  • Oh shits! I just found a place with a ball pit on the terrace.
  • Oh shits! I just found a place with a ball pit on the terrace.
    Wha? Linkage.
  • It says:

Apartment is conveniently located in Williamsburg,
    has washer/dryer/big kitchen, and best of all,
    a ballpit on the terrace-- room opens directly
    onto the terrace.
    Building also has a roof deck & gym.

$790/mo; we can discuss prorating.

No sex in the ballpit. ; )
  • $790/mo; we can discuss prorating.
    Only $790. That's way cheap. I assume this is a room in an apartment, and not the whole place.
  • edited August 2010
    $790/mo; we can discuss prorating.
    Only $790. That's way cheap. I assume this is a room in an apartment, and not the whole place.
    Yeah, it's just for a room. I sublet my entire apartment and for the same price can get a room in New York. Berlin is pretty cheap. I don't mind paying $1000 for acomodation on holiday, and in some ways would rather pay a bit more to make sure I have a nice room/apartment in a nice place.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Yeah, it's just for a room. I sublet my entire apartment and for the same price can get a room in New York. Berlin is pretty cheap. I don't mind paying $1000 for acomodation on holiday, and in some ways would rather pay a bit more to make sure I have a nice room/apartment in a nice place.
    Genius, I didn't even think of that. Temporarily sublet my place in order to get an equivalent place for long vacation instead of a hotel.
  • Quick, I need to fill out my ESTA form. I need an address in New York and haven't got one yet from the place I'm subletting, and can't contact anyone else online. Can someone give me a convincing address in New York?
  • Quick, I need to fill out my ESTA form. I need an address in New York and haven't got one yet from the place I'm subletting, and can't contact anyone else online. Can someone give me a convincing address in New York?
    Oh, you just want a convincing address that doesn't have to be real? Just go on Google maps and pick something that is residential.
  • I can't work out how to format the address, but I guess it doesn't matter too much.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    3412 36th Street
    Long Island City, NY 11106-1232

That's in New York City, Queens County, New York State. The zip code is 11106. The extended zip code is 11106-1232. A studio is there. I'm looking for a better residential address. Gimme a second.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    33-60 21st St
    New York, NY 11106

That one's some apartment building looks like.

Could also be written:

33-60 21st St
    Queens, NY 11106
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym, I noticed in another thread that you go to baseball games sometimes. That is one of the things on my things to do in NYC. That or another big sporting event in the city (tennis would be good, but maybe not possible at the last minute). I need advice on a good game to catch!

Can you tell I'm pretty excited about my upcoming holiday?
  • Rym, I noticed in another thread that you go to baseball games sometimes. That is one of the things on my things to do in NYC. That or another big sporting event in the city (tennis would be good, but maybe not possible at the last minute). I need advice on a good game to catch!

Can you tell I'm pretty excited about my upcoming holiday?
    If you want to go to baseball it is very easy. I will go with you. The Mets suck so bad, you can get tickets for a very good price. You just take the 7 train directly to Citi field. Here is the schedule. http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nym. If you want to go to Yankee stadium be prepared to pay more.

If you want to save a LOT of money you can go see minor league baseball, but the season is ending very soon. The Brooklyn Cyclones play in Keyspan Park in Brooklyn. Here is their remaining schedule for this year. http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/tickets/schedule/index.html?act[v]=graphical&frm;[d]=2010-07-01

If you want to see Tennis, now is the time. The US Open is happening right now. I've never been to it, so I don't know when it ends, how hard it is to get tickets, or how expensive it is. However, I imagine if you are willing to watch matches that don't involve anyone like Nadal, Federer, or the Williams sisters, and the match isn't in the main court, that tickets are available. http://www.usopen.org/en_US/index.html. The Tennis is in the same exact place as Citi Field, just take the 7 train. It's also the same subway stop as the Maker Faire and the location of the old World's Fair.
  • I just bought a ticket to see the US open tennis for a day. Quite expensive, but when will I next be in a city on holiday while a Grand Slam event is going on?

I'm still up for baseball, especially if I can go with a local. Tennis I don't mind going by myself, because it is one of my favourite sports to watch, but I'm not sure how much I care to sit through an entire baseball game with nobody to talk to.
  • but I'm not sure how much I care to sit through an entire baseball game with nobody to talk to.
    You definitely do not want to go alone, especially to see a game that doesn't matter.
  • but I'm not sure how much I care to sit through an entire baseball game with nobody to talk to.
    You definitely do not want to go alone, especially to see a game that doesn't matter.
    Well, he could decide to go to a Yankees game instead

If you decide you want to see a meaningless Mets game and you need someone to join I may be up for it. I read on Metsblog they are calling up ticket plan holders and just giving them extra tickets as a thanks for sticking with the team. Probably means great seats can be scored at way below face value.
  • Well, he could decide to go to a Yankees game instead
    If he wants to rot in the lowest level of hell, sure.
  • The tennis was awesome. I only saw one full game, but it lasted 4 hours 28 minutes. I certainly got my money's worth!

I got sunburned though, even though I was sitting in the shade.
  • I got sunburned though, even though I was sitting in the shade.
    Yeah, that'll happen at the US Open. There isn't much shade, and it doesn't really help at all.
  • I got sunburned though, even though I was sitting in the shade.
    Yeah, that'll happen at the US Open. There isn't much shade, and it doesn't really help at all.
    Yeah, I always get sunburned at the baseball stadium as well.
  • Today I decided to cycle around Manhattan. I got quite far, but then it started raining. I took the subway home.

Also, the low clouds yesterday lead to a very dramatic New York skyline:

• I forgot to ask, what softwares are you using to make your GPS charts?
  • I forgot to ask, what softwares are you using to make your GPS charts?
    I use an Amod gps tracker so I can geotag my photos. To match the photos and the gps data I use HoudahGeo. There is an "output to Google Earth" button, so I press that, include the track, then in Google Earth I deselect the photos themselves leaving just the track. A quick screen selection capture later and I'm ready to go.

The cool thing is that this also works with altitude data. When I went paragliding last year I I turned on the tracker just before taking off and made these images.

• HoudahGeo
    Ah, well. That's no help for me seeing as it's Mac only.