This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• Compared to the things I did in New York, what kind of things would you suggest I get up to in LA?
    Rent a car and drive in heavy traffic. ^_~
    Oh. Ha Ha. It is to laugh.

We've got the Griffith Observatory, Downtown Hollywood, Hollywood Studios, Burbank Studios, MOCA, LACMA, The Getty, and much more.
    In addition, depending on what time of year you come, we have a slew of events that go on. And did I mention the inordinate amount of beautiful women? and the Beaches?
  • It appears from your posts that 90% of what you did on your trip was ride your bike around and take photos, so I'm not sure our definitions of "interesting" really line up.
    This is because most of the photos from above was from when I was out on my bike or walking with my camera! I did loads more besides this.
    Did you go see any plays?
    I went to the theater five times in four weeks, but not to see any big broadway shows. When I work on cruise ships I see big music shows all the time, so I never feel good about paying to see anything like that. Also, I just spent a weeks in London and went to the theater in the west end twice in that time, once to see a comedy show, and once to see a fantastic show called Ghost Stories.
    Did you check out MoMA, the Guggenheim, or any other of the countless great museums?
    I've done these when I was in New York previously.
    Any of the famous comedy clubs or music venues?
    I saw five bands in four weeks too, though only twice at "famous" venues. No comedy nights though, except for the Clown Theater Festival.
    It's not a bike-able city by any stretch of the imagination and public transportation is scarce.
    Such was my understanding. I don't have to use a bike though. I only bought one in NYC because I knew it would be faster than using public transport. And this was proved over and over when I get to and home from places quicker than my flat mate. Car hire would be the only way to go.
    If like places where you can walk around and see cool shit everywhere, San Francisco kicks the shit out of LA any day.
    Which is why, when I think West Coast, San Fransisco always stands out.

Time in LA, to me, never seems like much of a vacation. My 26 days in New York was nothing but.
  • I'll be back in New York this September again! I'm planning to be there for about 10 days, from the 3rd onwards.

Ideas so far:
    - Meet up with lots of friends.
    - Coney Island again, and this time ride the Cyclone.
    - Watch some live music.
    - Eat a different pizza every day to determine the best in the city.
    - An evening session at the US Open (I'm thinking of splashing out for a men's singles quarter final or semi final match).
    - Nerdy boardgames if the dates work out.
    - Hopefully perform some music and/or juggling for interested people in the city.

I'm also trying to remember the things on my list from 2010 that I didn't get round to doing.

Does anyone else have any ideas I could fit into my vacation plans?

Also I probably won't be searching for an apartment of my own for just 10 days, but relying on different friends to provide a couch for one or two nights each. I did this in San Fransisco/Oakland and Portland last October and it worked out great. As long as I only pack one small bag I'm fine.
  • A bit early to look at the events schedule, but I did anyway, and there doesn't seem to be much too much going on in the way of NYC geekery. I'm sure things will pop up, and you've got an excellent list going on so far. I'd suggest you check out Book of Mormon. It might be an easier ticket to come by in September. I'm going to be seeing it in the spring and have had numerous people tell me it's a must-see.

Looks like the weekend leading into the 3rd will have PAX Prime in Seattle and DragonCon in Atlanta, just some options in case you have flexibility in your travels!

• Looks like the weekend leading into the 3rd will have PAX Prime in Seattle and DragonCon in Atlanta, just some options in case you have flexibility in your travels!

I'll add The Book of Mormon to my list.

As for DragonCon and Pax Prime, I know they are on the weekend before I arrive in New York. But this year I'm not paying for my own flights. I've been invited to perform at a juggling festival in Kansas City, and will be there over that weekend. The New York visit is a way to make it worth me flying to America, because god knows a trip to Missouri isn't going to do it.

• I'll be in New York next month! I'm arriving on a cruise ship on the 29th of May. I've asked them not to fly me home on the same day, but two days later. This should give me two nights and three days in the city. I'll organize places to stay nearer the time (unless anyone wants to let me borrow a futon for two nights) and I'm sure I'll find things to fill my days.
  • We will definitely have to commence with shenanigans.
  • So it's confirmed. I'll be arriving on the Queen Mary 2 on the 29th of May, though I'm not sure when. I'm guessing in the morning. I only asked if it was possible to fly home a few days later, and they got back to me and said they already booked the ticket! I'll be flying out on the evening of the 31st of May.

Shenanigans are in order, and also I'll have to find some more things to put on my list for when I visit again in September.
  • The 29th of May is the day after Memorial Day. If you got here a day earlier everyone would be off work.
  • Oh mans, we should hang out. I know a pretty good pizza place new Union Square you should check out.
  • Ahhh, good luck here. I have a likely business trip to Turkey, but I should be home just before you arrive! (Ironically, I might be stopping in a few German cities for some meetings along the way). ;^)
  • Oh mans, we should hang out. I know a pretty good pizza place new Union Square you should check out.
    It's a deal!
  • We can do a podcast about turkey. I mean Turkey.
  • We can do a podcast about turkey. I mean Turkey.
    Both!
  • Heh.. In a funny turn of events, I'll be in Munich the 25th and 26th, flying out that afternoon via Dusseldorf for New York.
  • I'll be in Munich
    I'm sorry.

• Poor Rym.
  • When you get back, can you tell us if they're sleeping in Dussledorf?
  • I really liked Munich. Berlin was a lot cooler, though.

Watching the sun set tonight, I remembered Manhattanhenge. I recalled it happens in July, and also the end of May. Would it coincide with my visit on the 29th and 30th of May?

Fuck yeah!

So, I know what I'm going to be doing at 8.17pm on the 29th. If anyone wants to join me, it'll be a cool event to catch.

I'm still not sure what I'll be up to the rest of my 24 hours free in New York. In the afternoon I'll be doing some tourist and shopping stuff, but I have no plans for the night as yet. And nothing for the morning of

• edited May 2012
    I'd be happy to come out for Manhattanhenge, pizza, drinks, or any combination of those...

especially considering I live 3 streets away from 34th...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I'd be happy to hang out around noonish, but I have work starting at 4 PM.
  • I will be back from Istanbul by then!
  • I'd be happy to come out for Manhattanhenge, pizza, drinks, or any combination of those...

especially considering I live 3 streets away from 34th...
    Well, from my own experience, 34th street isn't very open for this kind of thing. There's not a cool place to stand on the east side to look west. I'm thinking about waiting on the bridge at 42nd street between 1st and 2nd Avenue. That way I can be in the middle of the road, half way between all the buildings, but above the traffic.

Check out this link for the place and view:

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=chrysler+building+new+york&hl=de&ll=40.751711,-73.977857&spn=0.012159,0.055747&sll=52.519171,13.406091&sspn=1.380492,3.56781&t=h&hq=chrysler+building+new+york&z=15&layer=c&cbll=40.749079,-73.970421&panoid=CivaTqvVTObIf7vRieB0zA&cbp=11,299.24,,0,-12.12

Schnevetses, Rym, do you know of any good pizza places near that point on the map? Or other food places? I've no idea if it would be easier to grab food and drinks before or after, or food before and drinks after. Or whatever. I've still got about two weeks to work out plans for myself, but it would be fun to meet up and do something. And, of course, anyone else who wants to come along.
  • That's a couple blocks from where I used to work. In a little bit from the water, there are all manner of decent pubs, Japanese restaurants, etc...
  • I'm thinking of paying a visit to NYC during Saturday or Sunday on Memorial Day Weekend. Does anybody want to join me? We could go get dinner, go drinking, go do geeky things, etc. Anybody who wants to join me, PM me on the forum and we'll talk...
  • edited May 2012
    I'll be available Saturday and Sunday evenings, as I don't have plans yet.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I'm free (and in the city) on Sunday. Shake Shack, anyone?
  • I'm flying back Saturday night. We'll see if/when I've recovered. Currently in a little business hotel in Munich. ;^)
  • Watch out for Palestinian operatives! (too soon?)