This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• Right, I've been making plans for my day in New York on Tuesday (May 29th). I'm going to put it all here, so if anyone wants to join up and hang out while I go about my touristing, you know where I'll be.

Of course, you can always call or send text messages to +491709688379, as I'll have my phone with me.

The plan is still flexible, but it should go something like this:

6am - sailing into New York on the Queen Mary 2. I've wanted to do this for years now, so I'll certainly by up to watch and take photos.

7am - 9am - probably waiting to get off the ship.

9am - 11am - meeting friend in Brooklyn 1.

11am - 1pm - dropping bags and having lunch with friend in Brooklyn number 2.

1pm to 3p - travel to Manhattan (to Chealsea/West Village)

3pm - 5pm - The High Line park, walking from south to north. This is something I wanted to do last time I was in New York, but totally forgot, and now it is even longer than before! I hope it's as interesting as I've been told.

5pm ish - 6pm ish - visit B&H Photo to look at some camera/gear back packs. My last one didn't survive the Africa trip, and I need a new one for my summer travels. I may buy the backpack, but I'll probably just test some out and then order from Amazon when I get home.

6pm - 7pm - get across Midtown to this area, ready to watch Manhattanhenge from a good spot.

7pm - 7.30 - a drink, probably. Maybe some quick dinner.

7.30 pm - 8.30pm - Manhattanhenge photos.

8.30pm onwards - no plans just yet!

In the evening I can hang out in Manhattan with FRCF people, if anyone is going to be about earlier. Alternatively I could head to Rym's part of town to hang out there. Or, of course, I can head back Brooklyn and put in an appearance with the jugglers and hang out with them for the evening.

Sorry to be so precise in my planning, but I've only got this one day free on this visit. In September I'll be back for another 10 days of pure vacationing, so I'll be a lot more relaxed and flexible.

So... suggestions for 8.30pm and later?
  • Oh, right, I was supposed to email you. Give me a sec.
  • I may try to join you guys around 9:30, depending on what you're doing.
  • Sounds awesome! I can meet you all at the Chrsyler building at 6:00, once I get out of work. I don't know a lot of places around Murray Hill for a drink, but after photos, I may be heading downtown to Village Pourhouse for Rock Band night. My friend's and I went last Tuesday and it was awesome (something we may be turning into a tradition). Some fun, nerdy people, and the place has 2,500 songs.

Otherwise, I'll make my standard out of towner pitch - go to the East Village, hit up McSorley's at some point just to chat up the tables, eat some super greasy food, and wander from place to place until we find one that feels like home... or Barcade in Williamsburg.
  • Change of plans! Instead of going camera bag shopping, I'll be heading to Bryant Park directly from the end of the High Line. There is a juggling meeting there on Tuesdays, as explained on this page. It works out really well, because it's in the right direction, and just one block away from 42nd street, where I want to see the Mahattanhenge.

So, if people are about, and want to juggle, drink, eat, or hang out, I'll be there. That will be about 5:30–7:30pm.

Of course, that means I have even fewer plans for the night, because the juggling club at Pratt Institute no longer meets on Tuesday night (hence the park meeting).

Rock Band Night sounds like good fun. I might join you for that. I probably won't make solid plans for the evening before Tuesday.
  • I'll join up with you, Luke! I can most definitely meet up with you at 5:30 in Bryant Park.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm going to be in New York tomorrow, but there is only going to be a brief window in which I'm going to be able to hang out. I'll probably be hitting up Midtown Comics, the Times Square Disney Store, and the Nintendo World Store from around 11-3, and will be seeing the Best Man (with James Earl Jones and Angela Lansbury) at 3. Heading out of the city around 6. If that schedule works for you, hit me up at 443-766-0958 (texting is the easiest way).
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I shall be able to make my plans and let you know today! Finally back in the states and such ;^)
  • I watched Men in Black 3 today and I left with such a desire to visit New York again.

I'll have to content myself with old York for now.
  • I watched Men in Black 3 today and I left with such a desire to visit New York again.

I'll have to content myself with old York for now.
    Hey, Original Flavor york is pretty good.

• Alright, I'll be heading down to Bryant Park, right around 6:30. My number is 732-423-4690. I suppose I'll look for the jugglers.
  • Alright, I'll be heading down to Bryant Park, right around 5:30. My number is 1-203-710-3683. I suppose I'll look for the jugglers.
  • I will get myself out of work by 5:00 and head uptown. I'm sure I'll find you guys as I do.
  • Keep posting here when you do things - I won't be off work till 9, and will probably attempt to join up.
  • I'll probably have a few rums, do some work, read a little, try to practice guitar with my mankey thumb, and then catch some sleep.
  • I should definitely be out of work around 5:00pm. I'll just head to Bryant park and find you guyz. ;^)
  • I should definitely be out of work around 5:00pm. I'll just head to Bryant park and find you guyz. ;^)
    I'll probably bike over, but I can't hang out long or anything, have stuff to do.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2012
    I am now in Bryant Park near the West 42nd Street Entrance, just in case anyone wants to know where I am.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm heading out of work in a bit. Have to finish some important things!
  • Are you still in Bryant Park?
  • I just arrived. I'm going to sit by the fountain.
  • Found the jugglers! Chatting with Scott.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2012
    Rendezvoused with Luke, Rym, and Scott.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Are people still doing things?
  • edited May 2012
    I was there too! Cloudy weather! Japanese food! Fun!
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I had a really good time! That was fun!
  • The sunset was nonexistent, but the company was fine!
  • I too had a great time! Great food and great company!
  • I enjoyed myself quite well, despite only being there for the last hour or so of hanging out.
  • I enjoyed myself quite well, despite only being there for the last hour or so of hanging out.
    You were a welcome addition to the party and I regret that you came in so late.