This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• It's the fault of my suck-ass work schedule, not of anyone here.
  • Thanks for all coming out, guys! I had a fun evening, despite the lack of sunset. Sorry Ry, Emily and Luke did all the talking.
  • Sorry Ry, Emily and Luke did all the talking.
    And so it is, and so it always shall be. ;^)

• That is the one thing that really bothers and annoys me when I hang with the Crew. However, I'll just put on my sunglasses and deal with it
  • You should get a really talkative girlfriend. Emily says she now talks a lot more than she did when she first got together with Rym. I know the same thing is true with my girlfriend too. Maybe it would help you too.
  • edited June 2012
    Hrm... I'm a bit sad I won't be in KC as much when you're in town Luke. I'm flying out Wednesday now for more PAX in Seattle and returning Tuesday (of the week you are in KC).

Also I will note I generally appreciated Emily and Rym being pretty talkative people. It's hard to get into the flow of a group you only know on the internet, but that doesn't stop them one bit. Viga, Liddi, and Andrew were also more extrovert-ish types at PAX East as far as I could tell. It's good to have a solid mix of personalities around. :P
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited June 2012
    That is the one thing that really bothers and annoys me when I hang with the Crew. However, I'll just put on my sunglasses and deal with it
    Being an introvert is not a sin, but if you want to change anything about yourself, the only solution is hard work. What really miffed me about this statement was that it annoyed you. I feel like it implies that feeling excluded was the fault of others? I just don't think I understand. People with podcasts are normal people too, you can talk back to them!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited June 2012
    What really miffed me about this statement was that it annoyed you. I feel like it implies that feeling excluded was the fault of others?
    Yeah, dude, other people talking isn't a reason to be bothered and annoyed. If they like you and you have something interesting to say, you'll get into the conversation. Just be sure to keep pace with the topic, don't interrupt people, have something constructive and/or relevant to say, and listen actively. Then, you'll be a good conversationalist.

It's really not that difficult; I have bad anxiety problems and I'm still really good at making conversation. Work at it!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • A couple of people in the Real Crew, have been loud and forceful talkers since the dawn of time. Whenever you hang with a group you are not comfortable with completely you should always expect to be doing more listening then talking generally. Forcing your way into the ebb and flow of conversation without giving the time to get used to the dynamics of the people around you usually leads to you feeling ignored and annoyed. Unless you are a born talker like I've heard Luke is. Especially when hanging with people who have a lot stronger bonds with each other then with you.

Relax and Chill and things go a lot easier.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2012
    I did all those things and I kept up any given conversation during the night, but the problem was that it was impossible for me to get a word in edgewise. I am not introverted nor do I have any problems conversing with anyone, and I take offense at people accusing me of such.

Anyone who has hung with the crew should know that discussion becomes so heated and so involved, it leaves very little room to insert yourself inside. This isn't intended to be a criticism of the crew itself, just what I've observed.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've never really been much of a talker when I'm in groups, so I didn't mind much. I got in a few dozen words edgewise about sci-fi books, which I feel is enough.

Anyways, who's up for the NerdNYC board game night next Friday?
  • I've never really been much of a talker when I'm in groups, so I didn't mind much. I got in a few dozen words edgewise about sci-fi books, which I feel is enough.

I have at least one friend who is completely confused by the concept that I don't always want to be the center of attention. It's kinda funny, honestly.
  • edited June 2012
    That is the one thing that really bothers and annoys me when I hang with the Crew. However, I'll just put on my sunglasses and deal with it
    I don't know why you try to hang out with us, then. You keep saying mean things about Rym on the forum and say we annoy you and then you follow us around at cons. When I find people annoying, I just ignore them and don't seek them out. It's like, if you can't keep up with us, and that grates on you, don't bother. Find some friends who have the same conversational pace as you do rather than sitting there being pissed off.

To be honest, I often have trouble getting a word in, that's part of the reason I learned to talk a lot in the FRC groups.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think I was just somewhat in awe by the conversation. It sounded remarkably like Geeknights. And I didn't have much to contribute to the science fiction chat at dinner. Better to be a good listener than a talker who says nothing.

Oh, and Luke, at one point I recommended Paul Auster's New York Trilogy for a premise you had about writer's writing each other's lives (or something like that...).

I also feel like I should explain my outfit that day - normally I'm dressed more casually at work, but there was a chance I'd be meeting with my boss' boss' boss, hence the Fischer-Price My First Internship getup.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm glad you came along! Yeah, sorry we were so blabby. That's the normal state of social interaction in our close friend groups (and with Luke), so you can just imagine what parties are like at our house. Sometime I hope I get to meet up with you again and listen rather than talk.
    Also, Geo, sorry I yelled at you, but you keep complaining, and it got on my nerves.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited June 2012
    Oh mans, boardgame night? Yes please.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited June 2012
    I need to visit New York City. Last time I was there was for a NAB conference a LONG time ago and that was basically a case of "Drive there, go to conference, drive back". Less than 24 hours, literally.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I never considered I was hanging out with "the crew" or anything of that sort. I just find it fun to meet up with people from the internet, especially those I've chatted to for years on a forum like this. To be honest, I find it very difficult to separate people out into specific identities, based solely on user names that aren't real names and avatars that change too often. But as soon as I meet someone in person, it becomes simple to do so for me.

For example, I'll now be able to picture Schnevets as the young guy who looked exactly like he said, trying a bit hard too look presentable at work! It was very funny, though I wasn't going to bring it up.

Anyway, I tend to fit into the normal level of conversation with anyone. If it was just me and Steve and Justin, I'm sure the whole thing would have been a lot more tempered.

Not sure I like the look of that New York Trilogy. I have a feeling it would be exactly the opposite of the kind of story I'd like. I'll probably never get round to reading it to find out.
  • I also feel like I should explain my outfit that day - normally I'm dressed more casually at work, but there was a chance I'd be meeting with my boss' boss' boss, hence the Fischer-Price My First Internship getup.
    Better to be dressed up than dressed down! I'd never fault a man for looking classy.
    I need to visit New York City. Last time I was there was for a NAB conference a LONG time ago and that was basically a case of "Drive there, go to conference, drive back". Less than 24 hours, literally.
    There are countless reasons to visit NYC. Do it!
    I'm likely out. I work a flex schedule where every other Friday is off. The NerdNYC nights haven't been lining up with the off Fridays lately, or I'd be there. I live a lot closer to the city now (45min) but still work in the opposite direction, so trucking over there from the dayjob isn't worth it now that I've found good game groups that are more local.

• Hrm... I'm a bit sad I won't be in KC as much when you're in town Luke. I'm flying out Wednesday now for more PAX in Seattle and returning Tuesday (of the week you are in KC).
    I'll be arriving on Tuesday and leaving Tuesday, I think.
  • I don't feel like I could ever just "visit" New York. It seems to me that the real reason to be there is to live there, but there is basically no way in hell I'm moving to the States unless you have a serious political overhaul or I fall into millions of dollars.

However, if either of those things happen, I would figure out how to live in New York so fast it would frankly be rather embarrassing. I am super jelly of you guys what live there.
  • I'll be arriving on Tuesday and leaving Tuesday, I think.
    Then there will still be time!
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2012

Also, Geo, sorry I yelled at you, but you keep complaining, and it got on my nerves.
    No, no need to apologize. My big mouth and I deserved it ;)

Post edited by Geo on
  • I need to visit New York City. Last time I was there was for a NAB conference a LONG time ago and that was basically a case of "Drive there, go to conference, drive back". Less than 24 hours, literally.
    There are countless reasons to visit NYC. Do it!
    Not so easy. NYC is on the opposite side of the country now.
  • Board game night tomorrow? I'll be there around 9.
  • My tickets are book for my next USA trip. First stop, Kansas City:

Tue 28-Aug
    Minneapolis (MSP)
    Depart 3:00 pm
    to Kansas City (MCI)
    Arrive 4:30 pm

I hope to meet up with Mr. Creamsteak before he heads off to PAX 2012. I'll hang out in the city with jugglers and see what mess I can make. Then rock the convention show, etc.

I arrive in New York on Tuesday
    Tue 4-Sep
    Kansas City (MCI)
    Depart 11:00 am
    to New York (JFK)
    Arrive 2:55 pm

I've yet to make solid plans on where I'm going to stay. I might try out couch surfing, but I'll probably just see about subletting an apartment room for a week. I'll also see if I can borrow/buy/rent a bike for when I'm there, because in my one day there in June I really missed having one. Relying on the metro isn't my idea of fun.

I've already booked tickets to see the semi finals at the US Open, so I hope to see Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and Murray in various matchups.

Otherwise I'm leaving plans until later. I fly out on the 12th of September.
  • Oh boy, that's my first day of classes. Which means I'll actually be available all week, since nobody really needs to go to those first classes and club meetings won't have started yet.
  • Okay, so I said I'd be leaving NYC visit planning until later, and I've totally neglected any planning at all. I bought US Open tickets (semi-finals day!) and have travel arrangements, but that's about it.

As for accommodation, I'm going to check out Craigslist for a room from 4th to the 13th of September, but if anyone has an empty bed or room or apartment in NYC for any of those dates, it would be really cool if you drop me a line.

Funnily enough, I got a gig on a cruise ship immediately following this gig which starts in Iceland and ends... in New York. That'll be three visits in one year!
  • Friday the 7th is a NerdNYC board game night at ThinkCoffee.
  • I will either be around in New York, or I will be in Turkey. Or Poland. Or Singapore. (Or Taiwan). (Really...).