This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things You Never Expected to Hear Yourself Say

Comments

• Ah Regina is an interesting singer, someone I can get in the mood for from time to time but hard to recommend to others due to her style.
    Maybe I'm just really removed from what the average person listens to (I am), but I think I could recommend Regina to most people. Not her entire catalog, but I think I'd have trouble finding somebody who doesn't enjoy songs like this at least a little bit:

• edited July 2011
    I think I'd have trouble finding somebody who doesn't enjoy songs like this at least a little bit:
    That song was very meh to me. There was very little going on musically. Maybe it is nice lyrically? I don't pay attention to lyrics (vocals, to me, are just another instrument of the music).

My attraction to Regina is her piano playing. Her vocals can be jarring, not unlike the way Bjork's vocals can be very enigmatic and jarring. I like Bjork ... sometimes. I like Ms. Spektor ... sometimes. Too much of either becomes grating.
    someone I can get in the mood for from time to time but hard to recommend to others due to her style.
    Very much this.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • That song was very meh to me. There was very little going on musically. Maybe it is nice lyrically? I don't pay attention to lyrics (vocals, to me, are just another instrument of the music).
    It's lovely lyrically. Our difference of opinion probably stems from how we listen to vocals. I'm really focused on lyricism (hence my obsession with hip hop), and I find Regina's writing endlessly charming.
  • edited July 2011
    That song was very meh to me. There was very little going on musically. Maybe it is nice lyrically? I don't pay attention to lyrics (vocals, to me, are just another instrument of the music).
    It's lovely lyrically. Our difference of opinion probably stems from how we listen to vocals. I'm really focused on lyricism (hence my obsession with hip hop), and I find Regina's writing endlessly charming.
    I don't want to make any implications here, but I had found in the past that males generally don't pay attention to lyrics while females generally do. Of course, there are exceptions and the observation was anecdotal. Hip-hop being a lyrically driven, generally male pursued art, is a good counterexample.

But I have definitely found my issue with a lot of terrible, terrible music was that the other person (such as the ex-girlfriend) liked the (IMO) terrible music for its words or message. This was especially true of twangy country music. grrrrrr twang.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • It's cool, I'm kind of effeminate.
  • I had found in the past that males generally don't pay attention to lyrics while females generally do.
    wtf
  • I had found in the past that males generally don't pay attention to lyrics while females generally do.
    wtf
    QFT.

Have you conducted a study because, if you haven't, I call bullshit on your anecdotal evidence.
  • Speaking of good singers that are hard to recommend to others:

"This video of a live performance always gives me goosebumps even though I wasn't there live."
    wtf
    QFT.

Have you conducted a study because, if you haven't, I call bullshit on your anecdotal evidence.
    Of course, there are exceptions and the observation was anecdotal. Hip-hop being a lyrically driven, generally male pursued art, is a good counterexample.
    Way to read.
  • Of course, there are exceptions and the observation was anecdotal. Hip-hop being a lyrically driven, generally male pursued art, is a good counterexample.
    Way to read.
    I am not a clever man. Still, i wanna see a study done on this. Sounds interesting.

Anyway, never expected to say this: "And Scott was 100% right..."
  • "Where's the first aid kit? I just cut myself on a baguette."

And not only through latex gloves, but without damaging the gloves as well.
  • "I love you all with all of my body and Churba's cock."
  • "I have way too much bacon in my fridge." Said to myself tonight as I was putting stuff in the fridge to cure.
  • "I have way too much bacon in my fridge." Said to myself tonight as I was putting stuff in the fridge to cure.
    I believe we already discussed the solution to this problem.
  • There's always the option of feeding bacon to the homeless.
    So they taste more bacony when we eat them?
    So they taste more bacony when we eat them?
    Noooo.... *looks around shiftily as he hides various seasonings behind his back* Why would you say such a silly thing....
  • Noooo.... *looks around shiftily as he hides various seasonings behind his back* Why would you say such a silly thing....
    Don't forget the all important hobo spices.
    Saturday is going to be AMAZING!!!
    Saturday is going to be AMAZING!!!
  • "This Starbucks tastes all right."
  • "Apple isn't a terrible company."
  • "So have you seen the new season of My Little Pony?" just asked a minute ago.
  • After getting that always hard to get crick in your neck finally cracked:
    "Wowzers!"

Now I feel like Inspector Gadget.
  • I am fully awake and ready to work at 5:40am.
  • Maybe I'll bury the AK in the backyard with 640 rounds in case the gov't becomes corrupt some day.
  • Maybe I'll bury the AK in the backyard with 640 rounds in case the gov't corruption becomes problematic.
    Not a bad idea...