This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Master of Orion 1 + 2

edited April 2010 in Video Games
If you've never played them before, Master of Orion 1+2 are now available together on gog.com for $6. Pretty sure they're not on Steam at all. MOOII is pretty much the best space Civ game ever. Think of the original as an added bonus to learn some history.

Man, remember at RIT when MOO 3 came out? That was exciting for about a week before we bailed. Still, I've wasted more money on less.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Still, I've wasted more money on less.
    Hey, it wasn't that bad. Certainly not the best, but still enjoyable.

$6 is basically free. I predict sleepless nights for me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • M003 was pretty good, it's big problem with it's real time combat made it not have a hot seat option....you know maybe we should get a game going over the net sometime...
  • A friend actually recommended it to me the day before it showed up on gog.com. Looks like a good game for fans of the genre, but not me. I got Another World off gog the other day and loved it all over again.
  • Just one more turn and I'll save and quit....Okay, one more turn.....just one more....okay one more...one more turn...
  • I had played a lot of MOOII in my day, but I never played MOO 1 until today.

In a lot of ways it is just not as good as MOO II. Graphically speaking, interface-wise, etc. It''s an old DOS game, so what do you expect?

However, there is one aspect in which I think it is way better than MOO II. It abstracts production on each planet into six sliding meters. Allow me to explain.

MOOII tried to copy Civilization. You have to assign each unit of population on a planet to either farming, working, or researching. Farmers make food, scientists make research points, and workers make production. Then you have a build queue on the planet, and the planet can only build one thing at a time. All the production that is made by the workers goes towards building whatever is in the build queue. That includes structures for that one planet, and also ships. You can't build a ship and a building at the same time. The result of this is that you have to micro-manage each planet.

MOO I does not have that. Instead, each colony you have has six sliders. They are Ship, Def, Ind, Eco, and Tech. You can see them on the right side of this screenshot.

Hosted by imgur.com

The meters are limited by your production and population. You can't just put them all the way up. If one goes up, another one must go down. No build queues. No micro-managing farmers, workers, and scientists. You just configure it straight up. Want a planet that just farms? Eco all the way up. Want a planet that will research like crazy, but you also need to defend it? Put those both at half and everything else at zero. I hope you have food being shipped from another planet :)

The best part about this is that not only do you not have to micro-manage each and every time you want to build a ship. Yes, you have to manage ships once they are built, but no sooner. Simply design a ship, select that kind of ship for the planet, and turn up the ship meter. The planet will start spewing out the ship you have selected. Put in enough points, and you might even produce multiple ships in a single turn from a single planet.
  • I always like when games allow you to build up from micro to abstraction, X-Com did this well. At first its all about managing exactly what is where in a base or two and has a lot of in depth combat scenarios. As you progress you spend more and more time on the global map and focusing on advancing your tech etc. If you want, you can always go down to micro managing again, but after it gets old you don't have to deal with it anymore. I think that a lot of games could really be improved by having more abstract mechanics like that.
  • I always like when games allow you to build up from micro to abstraction, X-Com did this well. At first its all about managing exactly what is where in a base or two and has a lot of in depth combat scenarios. As you progress you spend more and more time on the global map and focusing on advancing your tech etc. If you want, you can always go down to micro managing again, but after it gets old you don't have to deal with it anymore. I think that a lot of games could really be improved by having more abstract mechanics like that.
    I agree. The problem is that many games don't actually scale up, and you still have to micro-manage each thing. Almost as bad is when you don't have to micro-manage each thing, but doing so is guaranteed to be better than not doing so.
  • Almost as bad is when you don't have to micro-manage each thing, but doing so is guaranteed to be better than not doing so.
    Civ 3 was especially bad at this.
  • edited April 2010
    I know, I really, really hate that. I'm writing a story now and intend to try and get it published and use the sales as capital for making a game based on it. I really want to do it in the style of 16-bit tactical rpg using xna or something along those lines and I've been playing around with various mechanics that I like or dislike, so this has been on my mind for quite a while.

I like things from final fantasy tactics like the job system, I like how shining force makes things really direct and doesn't take a ton of time to do everything, I like fire emblem's sense of permanence, I like chrono trigger and chrono cross's battle systems, the advancement scheme that's in burning wheel and the concept of 'let it roll'. Also the advance wars series mechanic of 'this is what is going to happen, there is no mystery, but if you aren't careful unforeseen things will screw you up'.

The scalability aspects are really difficult to do right in my opinion though, otherwise you run into the problem of 'it's better if I just do it manually'. I think a way to scale something like that kind of game is to make it progress from an individual based game, into a squad based game, and eventually into an army based game, where each level teaches you things you need to know for the next step up. So you learn what different classes do at the individual level, then you learn how to build a balanced army at that level, then you spend most of your time building armies to defend different fronts based on the previous knowledge.

Another neat concept would be playing with a group of other people and assigning them to be commanders of armies or squad leaders as you build your way up from foot soldier to emperor, with the turn based nature it could allow for some really cool stuff to take place if set up properly.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • Just played and beat MOOII on medium/average settings. I really can't even imagine how to win as any non-creative race. Pretty much means I'm always psilon. We'll see if I can still win on hard. Also, I never do the tactical combat, it's just a pain in the ass to design ships and then control them in real time.
  • I always planned custom races with creative... It was always amusing to encounter the other players who didn't research shields.......
  • I always planned custom races with creative... It was always amusing to encounter the other players who didn't research shields.......
    Creative is just so sick compared to everything else. I mean, if you're not creative, you can only really access about 1/3 of the technologies without stealing them with spies, trading them with diplomacy, or taking them by force. Compare that to some of the abilities the other races get, and it's a joke. Who needs all that science, I'd much rather have 20% better ship defense. lol.
  • I always like when games allow you to build up from micro to abstraction, X-Com did this well. At first its all about managing exactly what is where in a base or two and has a lot of in depth combat scenarios. As you progress you spend more and more time on the global map and focusing on advancing your tech etc. If you want, you can always go down to micro managing again,
    What are you talking about? X-Com forced you to play every single little bullshit mission manually at the squad level, and never gave you the option of having a "B-team" that auto-runs the garbage work like mopping up after shooting down a tiny UFO. The game never lets you stop micromanaging everything (unless you play it on easy), and never gives you the option of automating everything.

X-Com, in my opinion, is not an example of a game that handles this will, but in fact an example of a game that is severely weakened by failing to handle it well.
  • You just shoot the ships down once you have enough elerium 113. You just don't land unless it's some kind of terror mission or an enemy base. As long as the ufo's are shot down you'll be ok unless you need more materials, but I find by that stage of the game I'm usually just researching and sending out ships to kill theirs.