This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Imported DVDs

edited April 2010 in Technology
First of all I own a modded PS2 and a region free dvd player, my trusted APEX RM-1300 has served me well since the year 2002. I have had no problems watching my region 3 Astroboy 2003 dvds on it and some old region 0 dvds. Recently, I got my hands on the "Phoenix 2772" PAL region 4 release. My modded ps2 shows me "Your tv system does not match" every time I try to play it, and my region free dvd player shows me the video all distorted and in black and white but with music.
Oh I really hope I don't don't have to buy another tv in order to watch this movie :O
I am trying VLC in Ubuntu gut it keeps showing me the "No URI handler implemented for dvd" error.
I tried to run it on my Macbook Pro but the Mac is telling me that I have to change my region and I am only allowed to changed 4 times :O
Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I am still playing with Ubuntu :P

Comments

• edited April 2010
    There's a program called AnyDVD. It's not free, but I paid for it over a year ago, and I get free updates forever. Basically, this thing is amazing and well worth the price. You install it on your computer, and then it's completely invisible. Whenever you put a DVD in the computer, it will remove all region bullshit, encryption, everything. This not only allows you to watch any DVD (hence the name) perfectly in any player of your choice, but it also gives other added features. Because the encryption is gone, you can easily use handbrake to rip DVDs to any file format of your choice. Also, you can skip bullshit FBI Warnings and other stupid shit at the beginning of DVDs. It's a must for any HTPC.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It looks pretty interesting Scott, I will look for a similar program for a Mac. Thanks.
  • edited April 2010
    It looks pretty interesting Scott, I will look for a similar program for a Mac. Thanks.
    Good luck with that. I can almost guarantee there is no such thing. Yet another reason to avoid the world of Steve Jobs. Maybe if you use boot camp and install AnyDVD in Windows. That should work.
  • I have a small Windows partition on my Ubuntu machine, if it comes down to that I will buy it and install it there :P
  • I used AnyDVD for years, I can vouch for it.
  • edited April 2010
    DVD43 is basically the same thing as AnyDVD; its for Windows and is free.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2010
    Is there a possibility there's something missing in the Linux VLC that he may need to play the DVD? My friend's family has a ton of imported DVDs and they swear by VLC.
    EDIT: I just looked up DVD43, the Wikipedia says it's not compatible with 64 bit Windows for "technical reasons." What could those reasons be?
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Probably something to do with 64-bit Windows and drivers. I used DVD43 and it's pretty good. VLC, I think, can handle all region DVDs.
    For Ubuntu, you want to read this: DVD CSS on Ubuntu.
  • Is there a possibility there's something missing in the Linux VLC that he may need to play the DVD? My friend's family has a ton of imported DVDs and they swear by VLC.
    It's not the player that matters. It's the DVD CSS stuff that omnutia just linked to. However, as far as I am aware that only helps you with encryption, and not region encoding.
  • As far as I know, VLC ignores both the encryption and region coding by having DeCSS libraries built in. I don't have any non-region 1 DVDs to test it with, tho, I'm just going off what I read somewhere.
  • As far as I know, VLC ignores both the encryption and region coding by having DeCSS libraries built in. I don't have any non-region 1 DVDs to test it with, tho, I'm just going off what I read somewhere.
    I had not heard this, so I have no idea.
  • edited April 2010
    Good luck with that. I can almost guarantee there is no such thing.
    RipIt does exactly the same thing on a mac, put DVD in and RipIt takes care of everything (encryption, macrovision, the lot).

And it has a better UI than AnyDVD ;p!

EDIT: Also, region code enforcement is usually done at the hardware level so unless you have specifically a region free DVD drive or have a DVD drive for which there exist a "region free" firmware update, all of this won't help much.

EDIT 2: Just got round to reading the OP, so I want to point out that the problem could be solved by hooking the PS2 up to a more modern TV that supports PAL.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited April 2010
    RipItdoes exactly the same thing on a mac, put DVD in and RipIt takes care of everything (encryption, macrovision, the lot).

And it has a better UI than AnyDVD ;p!
    Ripit does not do the same thing as AnyDVD. Ripit does the same thing as handbrake. AnyDVD does not have a UI because it doesn't need one. All it has is some configuration screens to set your options, and you can then make it be absolutely invisible, as it should be.
  • edited April 2010
    Ripit does not do the same thing as AnyDVD. Ripit does the same thing as handbrake.
    Then I must be using it wrong, because it does exactly what you described AnyDVD does.

RipIt is just a DVD ripper that strips out copy protection. Handbrake is a transcoder. How are these the same thing? And how is AnyDVD different from RipIt? Is this a brain fart on your part?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited April 2010
    RipIt is just a DVD ripper that strips out copy protection. Handbrake is a transcoder. How are these the same thing? And how is AnyDVD different from RipIt? Is this a brain fart on your part?
    AnyDVD doesn't rip. It has no ripping whatsoever. All it does is remove regions, copy protection, and other things. Basically it tricks your entire computer into thinking that any DVD (hence the name) you put in the drive is a totally sweet unencrypted region-free DVD that is ready to rock and roll. Then you can use any other DVD playing or ripping program to do what you want with the DVD.

Handbrake is just a ripper/transcoder. If you combine it with AnyDVD, then you can do the same thing that Ripit does, but also much more because Handbrake and AnyDVD have so many more configuration options.

Ripit removes copy protection, but only when ripping. As far as I know it doesn't remove copy and region protection in general. So if you have a DVD from another region, and you want to watch it on your computer using the regular old DVD playing software, without ripping it, Ripit can't do that, but AnyDVD can.

SlySoft, the AnyDVD company, actually has a separate ripping product they sell. I do not recommend it because Handbrake is free and awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    AnyDVD doesn't require ripping to remove the protection.

[Edit] Scott beat me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Basically it tricks your entire computer into thinking that any DVD (hence the name) you put in the drive is a totally sweet unencrypted region-free DVD that is ready to rock and roll.
    Ah so des ka! So AnyDVD basically does a firmware patch on the DVD drive (if necessary) and replaces/patches/puts a wrapper around the driver. Now I understand the pricing much better (it seemed a bit expensive for just a ripper).
    I had not heard this, so I have no idea.
    I've recently watched "Undead" via VLC on my PC with no problems and it was a region 4 disc.
  • edited April 2010
    Windows and Mac VLC have DVDCSS built in but Linux VLC relies on the external version.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Windows and Mac VLC have DVDCSS built in but Linux VLC relies on the external version.
    But the CSS only breaks encryption, not region codes, right?
  • AnyDVD is a great program, I've used it many times. I'm probably going to actually buy it. If you want a good ripping/burning program, DVDfab is basically AnyDVD with a gui. It does pretty much anything you want it to. The only real drawback is the price (if you don't pirate it) and that for some reason it isn't supposed to work if you have AnyDVD installed. I don't know if this is actually true though because I've have them both installed at the same time before and it worked fine. I just get a warning saying it might not work right.