This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights Coding Club: Project D.O.R.F.

Comments

• Dwarves certainly are appealing, however I'm sure we can come up with something much more original and interesting. Why rehash the same thing?
    If we are going to change the flavor, I submit that space has the best flavor of all.
  • edited April 2010
    You guys are assholes
    If Toady want's to do a shitty job while people are constantly telling him ways he can improve it, he has no place to complain when we take matters into our own hands.

@Scott: I thought DF was quite simple on the individual unit level and all the crazy stuff happens when you get lots of units interacting.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've just started programming. And, alas, I've spent the year learning Java and not Python (I know it's not a huge leap, but I can't do anything that someone else here couldn't do better). I would love to contribute any way that I could, though. I suppose sign me up as a Dorf intern - I'll do data entry on rocks and other grunt work.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, do you seriously think we can ever actually get close to the original in terms of features?
    If that's not the long-term goal, then why are you doing it?
    Dwarves certainly are appealing, however I'm sure we can come up with something much more original and interesting. Why rehash the same thing?
    If we are going to change the flavor, I submit that space has the best flavor of all.
    Vogon Colony?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2010
    Also, do you seriously think we can ever actually get close to the original in terms of features?
    Yes, at least the important ones. I don't think there's any reason to have damage models for fingernails or mapping of each animals intestinal track.

Alright, all shit talking aside, we need to start working on game design. What are we going to keep and what's going out the door? What are we bringing to the table that's new?

(Should we start a wave(BLASPHEMY) to collect the game design information?)
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Oh mans. I really want to be involved in this, but right now is definitely not the best time. You know, working for a startup and all. Maybe down the road, I will actually learn myself some Python and do code.
  • (Should we start a wave(BLASPHEMY) to collect the game design information?)
    Start a what? Is that like, some email thing?
  • (Should we start a wave(BLASPHEMY) to collect the game design information?)
    Start a what? Is that like, some email thing?
    He means a Google Wave.
  • He means a Google Wave.
    No Shit.
  • He means a Google Wave.
    No Shit.
  • edited April 2010
    I do a lot of writing (especially coming up with weird and wonderful creatures that eat or tear things apart and getting away from normal fantasy sci fi troupes and creatures) and I do art. I don't know python at all but I could learn it if I had a reason. I'm more interested in helping with the setting and sprites though if that's cool.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • WTF. Are you guys seriously talking about what fucking setting we should use when we aren't even at the "Creature1 on Plane1" stage? We don't have anything yet. First thing is displaying the 3D grid with terrain and creatures and then pathfinding in there. Creatures should be able to fucking fly or climb up cliffs before we start bothering with making an actual setting and naming races because none of that really matters till the end. Hell, let the player fucking make their own flavour. Demons digging their way out of hell, birds making fucking love nests, robots strip-mining the planet for rock, I don't fucking care. Crunch now, flavour later.
  • Crunch now, flavour later.
    If I could do all of that shit, I'd be working on it, but since I can't, I'm working on what I know how to do.
  • I'm just looking over the python wiki. This doesn't look like it will be too difficult. I mostly know C# stuff, but some object oriented concepts are fairly universal. Has anyone written anything yet? Do we know who's going to be working on what parts or have any base code to work off of? Or are we just on the hope and dreams part of this still?
  • WTF. Are you guys seriously talking about what fucking setting we should use when we aren't even at the "Creature1 on Plane1" stage? We don't have anything yet. First thing is displaying the 3D grid with terrain and creatures and then pathfinding in there. Creatures should be able to fucking fly or climb up cliffs before we start bothering with making an actual setting and naming races because none of that really matters till the end. Hell, let the player fucking make their own flavour. Demons digging their way out of hell, birds making fucking love nests, robots strip-mining the planet for rock, I don't fucking care.Crunch now, flavour later.
    I think they are doing well for the 6 hour stage.
  • I'll help code if I can. I once got a slight hang of object oriented coding in Python, but never really put it to use. I'd love to work with it again.
  • I'll have a foundation up by tomorrow. I just gotta do a bunch of other crap.
  • I'll have a foundation up by tomorrow. I just gotta do a bunch of other crap.
    SHIT-TALKING COMMENCE!
  • I'll have a foundation up by tomorrow.
    If this happens, then I'll say that this project really has a chance.
  • I've got about the same level of skill as Joe Boomer, but if there's anything I can help with, I will put in 120%. I'm really excited for this!
  • Ok, tiny amount of shit-talking.

I thought I would be able to do this tomorrow because I was planning to take a personal day to go to the DMV. Apparently there is an express DMV, so I'm actually going to go to work, but spend the morning at the express DMV.

I would do it tomorrow (Wednesday) night, but I have a podcast to record. By the way, we missed Monday because of Rym's job something something.

I would do it Thursday, but I have to play some SSFIV and also hopefully L4D the passing, and also sleeping.

Friday. Friday after work, I will do nothing but lay the groundwork for this.

• Friday. Friday after work, I will do nothing but lay the groundwork for this.
    That's fine. I'm going to spend a bunch of time over the next couple of weeks polishing my coding skills. Python has been super easy to pick up so far, but I have a lot of work to do.
  • Friday. Friday after work, I will do nothing but lay the groundwork for this.
    Forget and we will set up another clock!
  • This is relevant to my interests. I know a bit of Python, through making some stuff in pygame, so I'd be willing to help code some.
  • I began work last night. Today I just have to get some render on.
  • I began work last night. Today I just have to get some render on.
    Oh shi-
  • edited May 2010
    http://github.com/Apreche/Project-DORF

I built the minimum possible thing right now. There's a node class and a grid class. The grid class sub-classes the graph class from python-graph. The game.py file will create 4800 nodes in the graph. Each node is randomly filled with an uppercase letter. Then pygame draws the letters to the screen. It's an 800x600 screen, 80x60 nodes, 10x10 pixels each. Easy math that can be changed easily later.

Since it's using pygame, everything is all SDL awesomeness, and should be OpenGl/GPU-accelerated without any extra work.

To run it, you need to have python, python-graph, and pygame all fully installed and rocking. Then just do python game.pyLater I will update the README file to have better instructions. Also, I plan to make a blog post on Sunday that should help people better setup their python development environments. If anyone knows a way to freely and easily do a screencast of my terminal, that would make things pretty awesome.

This is just the tiniest tiniest beginnings. I have too much else going on to focus on it a whole lot, but I plan to work on it a little at a time here and there. If we don't forget it, I'm sure it can grow.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Add this as more evidence on Scott's ability to deliver while Rym still has not set up the store properly.
  • There's a store?