This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Street Fighter IV

edited April 2010 in Video Games
Might as well start with a new thread for a new game.

First, it is so awesome that all the characters are unlocked from the get-go. Are there any secret locked characters? Perhaps the mysterious 15?

Other than that, my goal right now is to do every trial with every character. I'm actually amazed at how many of them I can do without any trouble, even some complicated ones.

Also, I've been playing on the XBL, and actually doing pretty well. I think I only actually won once or twice, but the competition isn't insane. The only time I got pissed was fighting, of course, my mortal enemy Zangief. All he did was spin over and over again, and I couldn't do shit! I even tried EX Head Stop, and the spin beat it! WTF! Did they jack up the double lariat or something?

Comments

• Oh shit! A new chance to get good at SFIV!
  • I played some on XBL last night, had 3 wins and 2 loses. Only one lose was to someone who was obviously much better at the game then I was.
  • No PC release D:
  • No PC release D:
    I really think it's better on the console. Fighting games need a big screen. Also, I don't know if it's the console, or some changes in super vs. non-super, but I feel like the timings are a lot better on the 360. I'd have to play some non-super on the console to be sure. I think it possibly might have something to do with the frame rate. I had max frames and vsync on the PC, but that means the game ran at the timing of my particular monitor. Whereas on the console and a television it is a pre-configured experience, exactly as determined by Capcom, like the arcade.
  • No PC release D:
    I really think it's better on the console. Fighting games need a big screen. Also, I don't know if it's the console, or some changes in super vs. non-super, but I feel like the timings are a lot better on the 360. I'd have to play some non-super on the console to be sure. I think it possibly might have something to do with the frame rate. I had max frames and vsync on the PC, but that means the game ran at the timing of my particular monitor. Whereas on the console and a television it is a pre-configured experience, exactly as determined by Capcom, like the arcade.
    But then I have to buy a 360 or PS3. Also, since most of the crowd is on the 360 boat, that means I have to pay for the internet play as well.
  • But then I have to buy a 360 or PS3. Also, since most of the crowd is on the 360 boat, that means I have to pay for the internet play as well.
    Yeah, I agree that the XBL subscription sucks. I also had to pay for the Gold. They really need to make that shit free.
  • Been meaning to purchase the Gold subscription myself, but with a PS3 and Netflix streaming on every console and their mother: I have not had incentive to do so...
    But yeah the game's great. Most of my friends have had the game since last week, and are real Street Fighter nuts, so they've had time to practice and get to really high skill levels for even the new characters. Needless to say, I've been their whipping boy...
  • Or you could have gotten a PS3. ;)
  • I shall await all the opinions on the newest characters!
  • I shall await all the opinions on the newest characters!
    Makoto was my SF3 character, but I'm finding that I'm playing/liking Ibuki a lot more in SSF4.
  • Dudley - First time I fought against him, he kept doing that weird move where it looks like he grabs your ankles, or punches the ground, and it send you up in the air. Very annoying. I figured out how to handle that, though.

I did trials, the way Guy moves is really weird. Makoto also moves very strangely. She goes all slow, but her dashes are way fast. Neither is as weird as El Fuerte.

Also, I'm thinking I will practice a lot with Dee Jay. He's got charge moves, which I'm good at, but he also has a projectile, which I find myself desperately wanting quite often when I'm playing with M. Bison.
  • I actually found a good breakdown of the new characters by Seth Killian (Capcom's in-house expert fighter) here. Just click on the portraits in the character select image.
  • I've been hitting Ibuki hard since I picked up my copy, though I'm planning on digging into Juri. I really like the range in her movement, though I haven't been able to break down her priorities much so I don't know if she's a just-for-fun or if she'll be competitive for me.

What do you guys think about the replay and watch modes? I find the depth of what it offers (being able to see both the button inputs and the damage/scaling/stun info for both players) to offer at once a pleasing amount of depth, and a worrying rabbit hole of minutia to fall down. I've never been a frame-counter, but this game seems to offer an easier inroad to those levels than most.

Fox

• What do you guys think about the replay and watch modes? I find the depth of what it offers (being able to see both the button inputs and the damage/scaling/stun info for both players) to offer at once a pleasing amount of depth, and a worrying rabbit hole of minutia to fall down. I've never been a frame-counter, but this game seems to offer an easier inroad to those levels than most.
    Yeah, it seems like rather than eliminate the minutiae, they made them more accesable.

Imagine if Pokemon was up front about EV training by showing EVs right there in the pokedex, where what they should really do is remove it completely.
    where what they should really do is remove it completely.
    Oh, I wouldn't say at all that they should get rid of the minutia. Quite to the contrary, it is that depth that allows for a greater replay value, and for skill advancement. If that sort of depth isn't included you end up with games like "Art of Fighting" and their ilk. Fighting games that don't offer any subtlety or improvement over time.

There are many layers of depth in the Street Fighter series, especially post Alpha. What I was referring to as worrying for me was not the bearing of the depth but rather an easier slide into such depths. There are a number of different layers, like so:

-The base these buttons kick and these buttons punch.
    -special moves, series of button presses to throw fire-balls and the like.
    -combos, mixing levels one and two to create strings of moves
    -priorities and cross-over (here's where the depth becomes important) some moves over-ride others, hidden rules you might never notice like preloading, buffering and the like.
    -Chain-combo's, cancels and other very precise timing related combo's. (Here's where the replays come into it)
    -Frame specific minutia like "input leniency," Hit-boxes and frame-specific invincibility windows.

I've always been able to get into the Street Fighter games to a certain degree, (around step four on the above example) but never had the urge to dig up the resources to go deeper. Now that it is so much easier the temptation to dig deeper is much greater. Well, it is much greater for me. For many I could see this having the opposite effect of giving them a glimpse of how much deeper there is to go, frustrating them, and turning them away.

^.^
  • If you are that deep in, then please share your secrets. I see how far deep the rabbit hole goes, but despite effort, am having a very difficult time actually getting any deeper.
  • One thing you have to give Street Figher a lot of credit for.

For such a hardcore and difficult game there are a fuck ton of people playing it.
  • I can't say I've got a whole lot in the way of "secrets" but quite a bit of what at first appears to be random happenstance, as with any complex system, is really just exceptions created by other rules.

For example "crossovers." A crossover is an attack that seems to strike from one side, but actually strikes from the other. An example situation: Opponent is ducking, facing right (so blocking left). Sakura's jumping medium kick, moving from the right side of the screen to the left. Normally holding left should block the attack, but that particular attack is a crossover. Therefore it actually hits further out than the attack looks like it should, so to block it the Opponent must actually hold right.

These are much easier in pictures than in text...

Anyway, there are a number of attacks, usually one or two per character that have that particular property. Mostly this is either something you have to look up, or something that you notice through extended play and practice.

Another important detail, especially when it comes to pulling off combos, is that the inputs for moves can overlap. For example: The motion for Ken's "dragon punch" is forward, down, down-forward and punch, but you can combo from a ducking medium punch into the dragon punch. Pressing down and punch, and than starting the forward, down, down/forward punch takes a long enough time that it is very hard to combo. You can, however, press forward, than down and punch, than down/forward and punch. The down and punch will register as a ducking punch, and than down/forward and punch will register as the end of the forward, down, down/forward and punch set. Thus the dragon-punch can be executed even before the ducking punches animation finishes, thus linking them together and creating a combo.

Of course not every move can be combined, but for those that can this makes it a lot easier.

You are already a lot deeper than you think, just knowing that there are layers to the play that you haven't reached yet. Most casual players just assume that either they don't understand the system and that's why something didn't work, or that it was just a mistake. (I'm amazed how often I hear "that should have worked!" or "That's not fair!" when playing in public or with new gamers.)

I feel like I've taken maybe a bit too much space here... If there's more interest I'd be up for starting a StreetFighter or even just fighting games in general, strategy thread.

(Fighting)Fox
  • Thanks, but I knew that stuff already. I just have to do it, which will take a lot more practice than I have put in so far.
  • Hah! Well in that case, I don't know what you might mean by secrets. Beyond knowing that that stuff exists the only way I really know to get good at it, or even to get down how it really works and what the timing is comes from playing with friends. The training mode is ok, in that you can set the oponent to say, throw a fire-ball so you can work on countering it, but it's better if you can play with a friend and try to help each other refine timing and strategies.

I'd offer to help with that myself, but I went for the free online with friends console version.
  • While more suited to earlier versions of the game an excellent guide can be found at http://www.sirlin.net/ptw
  • JayJay
    edited May 2010
    -The base these buttons kick and these buttons punch.
    -special moves, series of button presses to throw fire-balls and the like.
    -combos, mixing levels one and two to create strings of moves
    -priorities and cross-over (here's where the depth becomes important) some moves over-ride others, hidden rules you might never notice like preloading, buffering and the like.
    -Chain-combo's, cancels and other very precise timing related combo's. (Here's where the replays come into it)
    -Frame specific minutia like "input leniency," Hit-boxes and frame-specific invincibility windows.
    I am getting to and trying to go beyond step six. Now I am trying to incorporate concepts into my play that abuse frame counts and the programing of the game.

-Option Selecting: Placing two commands into the game before any single command can be executed. The game decides which of the two inputs is the best and executes this option. Before you think this is completely broken option selects follow strict rules that can be exploited by your opponent to get you punished for attempting them. I personally do not like them as they give certain characters vast advantages, (mainly characters with invincibility frame-non charge moves) but in the new game the developers seem to have taken into account the advantages of having good option selects and balanced the game to account for this.
    -Safe Jumping: Jumping in on an opponent while they rise from a knock down with specific timing so that they are forced to block your attack or get punished for doing anything. You time your jump such that you hit the opponent at the exact frame they get up and you are also just about to land. As such any normal attack the opponent does will be countered as their move will still need to start up (minimum 3 frames for all normal moves, some ultras/supers come out quicker). This forces the opponent to block or attack or be hit. If your opponent does an attack that is invincible on start up (Say Sagat's uppercut) you will be able to block before their attack comes out as you will land and be able to block before the hit frames of your opponent's attack appear. As such you can not be punished for doing a Safe Jump. Hence the name Safe Jump. This technique has allot of details and this is a very brief explanation.
    -Hit confirming: Doing combo's that you visually see are connecting before you finish them. During the combo you change what actions you will do depending on if your opponent is blocking or being hit. This is easier for combos that involve multiple hits. This skill is far more basic then the above two. I already sort of do this but I need to implement it more in my game.

I fear that I may not be able to implement the above 3 points in my game effectively and I will stop getting better, but I will not find out till I try. I have SSF4 for xbox now and I look forward to facing any challengers from the forum's.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • I don't think I will be able to incorporate the safe jump into my game. However, I am glad to hear about it because I was semi-intuitively aware of its existence because it is the bane of my existence.

Fuck the safe jump! I get knocked down by some really good players, then I never get up again because they continuously safe jump me. Anyone have any good ideas for what I should do? My wake-up game right now is pretty much limited to attempting to block, EX Head Stomp, Focus attack.
  • JayJay
    edited May 2010
    Fuck the safe jump! I get knocked down by some really good players, then I never get up again because they continuously safe jump me. Anyone have any good ideas for what I should do? My wake-up game right now is pretty much limited to attempting to block, EX Head Stomp, Focus attack.
    Certain characters have a harder time dealing with Safe Jumps then others. Also, certain characters can incorporate Option Selects into Safe Jumps to make it very difficult for you to get away. (Ryu and Balrog are notorious for this) Bison I believe can teleport instantly upon wake up. As long as your not in the corner this is a very good option for you. Make sure you see the words REVERSAL when you do your wake up teleport. If not you are not timing the teleport correctly and could be hit. You can also focus back dash or just plain back dash on wake up. Both these options have specific affects on option selects your opponent may use so mix up which on you do. (all back dashes have invincibility frames on start up) Back dashing is a little more difficult to time on wake up though. EX Headstomp is also a good option, but it wastes a meter on an attack that will likley be blocked. It can also be punished by a focus attack from your opponent (I don't believe it breaks armor...) I think ex-devils reverse also is invincible on start up, so you can also do that. Every option listed here can be punished some way. There is character dependent minutia as well a guessing game.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Bison I believe can teleport instantly upon wake up. As long as your not in the corner this is a very good option for you. Make sure you see the words REVERSAL when you do your wake up teleport. If not you are not timing the teleport correctly and could be hit. You can also focus back dash or just plain back dash on wake up.
    This is definitely something I need to work on. I do not teleport nearly enough, mostly because it's a hard move for me to do since it's not a charge move. I also have absolutely no reflex to dash. I basically never dash. Not because I don't want to, I just don't have any reflex to do it. I pretty much just walk and jump. I need to get in a dashing/teleporting habit.
  • Ok, so I played a bunch today. It's hard to tell if my skill is going up or not. I'm winning a lot, but is it shitty opponents? I'm not dominating either, losing pretty often. Also, every once in awhile I come across oponnents who just obliterate me, leaving me no chance to do anything. However, the report-card ranking system seems to help. I'm rank C, so I never really fight any B or A people. I probably couldn't even touch them.

Here are two questions I have.

I was fighting Hakan once, and he did something so cheap. Basically when I was on the ground, he would get next to me and focus attack. He had obviously practice releasing the focus at the exact right moment so that I was re-crumpled immediately upon waking. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to avoid this. I managed to keep my distance and do some damage, but I lost to it in the end. It was really disheartening when he did it as the final blow against me in the corner. What should I do? Can I do a focus on wake to use the armor and counter?

Secondly can someone give me a specific example of an option select? Tell me exactly what buttons are pressed, what that causes to happen in game, and why it's good/bad.
  • I was fighting Hakan once, and he did something so cheap. Basically when I was on the ground, he would get next to me and focus attack. He had obviously practice releasing the focus at the exact right moment so that I was re-crumpled immediately upon waking. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to avoid this. I managed to keep my distance and do some damage, but I lost to it in the end. It was really disheartening when he did it as the final blow against me in the corner. What should I do? Can I do a focus on wake to use the armor and counter?
    This is the sort of situation in which a "popup" is needed. In a popup you initiate a move (different depending on the character) while still prone, and finish it part way through the "getting up" animation. It interrupts the getting up and transitions directly into the move. Although the first hit will be absorbed by the focus attack, it also stalls the attack so the next hit will knock them out of it. For most of the Shotoken characters (Ken/Rey/etc) the best popup is the shoryuken (uppercut).

It is tempting to over-use popups, because it can feel like a safe move and if people are pressing you hard they can be really useful, but if you use them too much and your opponent gets wise to them they also tend to be moves that can be punished pretty harshly on a whiff or a block.

Certainly not unlimited, but I do very much enjoy the strategy that these games allow!
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, I've definitely learned my lesson about the pop-up shoryuken a long time ago. Whenever I knock down a shoto player, if I'm close, I block high against the shoryuken and catch them on the way down. This sometimes bites me though, when they wake up and sweep. I'm trying to get in the habit of focus attack back-dashing instead since I can then be in a position to catch either a falling shoryuken or a failed sweep with all kinds of attacks.

Also, you know how in kung-fu movies, there is always the cliche of the disciple having to learn to fight using only the simplest thing, and nothing fancy. No, we will not teach you to use swords, sticks, nunchuks, or anything else. You must first beat all these opponents with just your pinky finger!

Well, I've sort of been doing that with Bison's standing roundhouse. It feels so cheap, boring, and wrong, that I can destroy so many people almost entirely with that one move, but in trying to win using just one button, I've intuitively learned a lot about some of the hitbox mechanics and timings and such. It's also provided me with a solution for those people who love to do the repeated cross-ups. I just kick them in the junk every time they jump over my head.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Whenever I knock down a shoto player, if I'm close, I block high against the shoryuken and catch them on the way down. This sometimes bites me though, when they wake up and sweep. I'm trying to get in the habit of focus attack back-dashing instead since I can then be in a position to catch either a falling shoryuken or a failed sweep with all kinds of attacks.
    I feel like I'm reading a tech manual for some otherworldly device.
  • Wow this thread has got me to start playing Street Fighter again.