This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Street Fighter IV

Comments

• I'm currently working on playing characters that no one likes.
  • Sigh... Maybe I should just get this damn game...

Bushido Blade isn't ripe for a comeback as far as I can see, and Soul Calibur really isn't of the same calibre. SF4 no Ken is my only option.
  • Sigh... Maybe I should just get this damn game...

Bushido Blade isn't ripe for a comeback as far as I can see, and Soul Calibur really isn't of the same calibre. SF4 no Ken is my only option.
    Yea but to get back into this game Rym, you'll either have to wait for the PC Super Street Fighter or get a X-box360/PS3..
  • Played with Gerald last night. He was definitely better than me, as he beat me no matter what character I used, except when I was using M. Bison. I think it means I've clearly learned just one character, but my general skills are weak.

Also, from what I'm seeing, it seems that Dudley is the new Sagat. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
  • I would not say that Dudley is as good as SF4 Sagat, but I have been seeing a lot of him.
  • I'm currently working on playing characters that no one likes.
    El Fuerte?
  • Also, you know how in kung-fu movies, there is always the cliche of the disciple having to learn to fight using only the simplest thing, and nothing fancy. No, we will not teach you to use swords, sticks, nunchuks, or anything else. You must first beat all these opponents with just your pinky finger!

We used to call one of my friends the "One Hit Combo Master" because he didn't use any of the special or super moves, almost never used anything but light attacks, but new the game and timing so well that he still kept his own with the rest of us using much more varied techniques!

I think it's fun to try playing in a particular style, even when it's not specifically in an attempt to improve on a particular technique.

As for the Dudly I don't think he's nearly as overpowered as Sagat was. Dudly was real popular in SF3, so i think he's just a popular one to pick because he is well remembered. He's way to easy to punish to be as almost-broken as Sagat was, IMHO.

Finaly, Go El Fuerte! I tend to pick "random" a lot when I play just so I can play around with the characters I don't know as well, and the little Mexican chef is a tight little bundle of hilarity. ^.^
  • Bushido Blade isn't ripe for a comeback as far as I can see, and Soul Calibur really isn't of the same calibre. SF4 no Ken is my only option.
    See, I feel the same way, and it's disappointing because I sunk all this time back in the day honing my SC skills. Now, I have to start from scratch with SF4.

I have the original SF4 for 360; should I trade in and upgrade to the new model?
  • Also, from what I'm seeing, it seems that Dudley is the new Sagat. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
    Dudley, as far as I have seen, is not as broken as Sagat was. Most notably he already has a few match ups that don't appear to be in his favor and many match ups that are 5/5. (Where Sagat had only 1 match up that he was disadvantaged in, and nearly all other match ups were at least 6/4 in his favor.) Though, he has all the tools to become a complete beast. Most notably being able to score 1/3 your life on any overhead that lands if he has 1 ex bar. He is basically a Rufus that doesn't jump. Do not let him get in. Poke him out at long range if possible. Dudley generally speaking has a bad poking game at far range. Except for his low sweep that will launch you for a combo. If he get's point blank your put into a guessing game that will hurt if you guess wrong. Basically, treat Dudley like Zangief. Never let him in.

Also, Dudleys medium and hard machine gun blow, uppercut, and c.HK (grab feet launch you move) are all unsafe on block. Go in training mode and learn what you can do after them to punish. You can also grab him out of his ducking forward move if he does it to close to you (highly recommended as he will likley be doing this to attempt to throw you).

Also, Option Select 3 minute fundamentals:

• I picked up SSF4 a few days ago. I just won my first few fights and got my first hate mail after a perfect. I'm playing a lot with Sagat.
  • I picked up SSF4 a few days ago. I just won my first few fights and got my first hate mail after a perfect. I'm playing a lot with Sagat.
    The game is probably set to put you against people of equal skill level, and it starts you at the lowest possible level. Change the setting to fight against good people, and then tell us how it goes.

• I have the original SF4 for 360; should I trade in and upgrade to the new model?
    Yes.
  • Is there anyone here playing who does not have their gamertag on IDShare?
    Possibly me. It won't let me into IDShare, so I can't tell (says account is inactive.)
    Possibly me. It won't let me into IDShare, so I can't tell (says account is inactive.)
    Ah crap. I guess it's not sending out e-mails. I will fix it tonight. I have activated everyone who was in active.
  • I need to add myself to ID share now that I have xbox live. I'm using my cousins account since his parents just pay for it and his use of it is infrequent.
    I have not done that. My gamertag is Railith, and I'll get on to setting that up my mahjong game.
  • I haven't set my IDShare up yet I think. I'm Maskmys. Just let me know you're from here in a message and I'll accept you.
  • I have not done that. My gamertag is Railith, and I'll get on to setting that up my mahjong game.
    Mahjong, Or Solitaire with tiles?
  • 4 player mahjong like in the cartoons. I played incredibly sloppy and didn't do to well this week.

I'm really liking Chun Li in SSF4. Her new ultra really helps out her game.
  • edited May 2010
    I had a pretty good day playing yesterday. I fought against a few guys who were pretty equal with me. The matches were all pretty close. Still, I was able to win the majority of them.

I learned a whole lot playing against this one guy who used El Fuerte. That's always one of those characters I have a hard time with because my reflex is to block, and I get grabbed. I haven't yet figured out how to avoid his ultra, he got it with me twice. I was able to win because I learned how to stop the move where he rushes in and does a belly flop on your head. The first match, he used the move repeatedly to great effect. Since it crosses up repeatedly, I was fucked when I was trying to charge. I beat it because I learned that a properly timed focus attack can ruin that move. The armor blocks the belly flop, and the focus attack hits and crumples, even on cross-up.

What I need to practice now is doing more damage after focus attack. My automatic reflex is to use the slide and follow up with devil reverse or head stomp. I really have to stop using the bison slide, it's so unsafe. Instead I need to dash after that focus attack and come in with a combo.

The other thing I've realized is that I basically never do the psycho-fist follow up to the head stomp. I've tried it in the past, and it always gets nailed by anti-air. Should I start going for it again, or keep doing what I'm doing?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The other thing I've realized is that I basically never do the psycho-fist follow up to the head stomp. I've tried it in the past, and it always gets nailed by anti-air. Should I start going for it again, or keep doing what I'm doing?
    I believe you have air control during that fist correct?
    You should always use it to gain the spacing you want. Close/far/medium range depending on what character your fighting. Also, occasionally come in barley out of your opponents anti air range and hope they wiff a move allowing you to punish.
  • Most of you seem to be XBL players. Joystick kids or do you play with the normal pads? More importantly, anyone playing on PSN?
  • Most of you seem to be XBL players. Joystick kids or do you play with the normal pads?
    Stick all the way. I picked it up 6 months ago and it was definitely worth it. Though, I also have a fight pad (has 6 face buttons and D-pad) and I can nearly play just as well with it. I do see a traditional pad as a huge disadvantage. You have to preform finger yoga to get some of the more advanced combo's off with them.
  • Most of you seem to be XBL players. Joystick kids or do you play with the normal pads? More importantly, anyone playing on PSN?
    I got one of the tournament joysticks. I used to play on a normal controller, but having the joystick I find I can actually pull off more moves more easily.
  • XBL with the official tournament stick. So worth it.
    I'm on PSN, using the tournament stick, though I do use the controller once and a while just b/c I still play a lot of face-to-face with my friends and sometimes it just feels more fair if everybody has controllers instead of one arcade stick and one controller.

Oh, and PSN ID is Foxtail.
  • I'm on PSN, using the tournament stick, though I do use the controller once and a while just b/c I still play a lot of face-to-face with my friends and sometimes it just feels more fair if everybody has controllers instead of one arcade stick and one controller.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to do in the situation where there aren't enough sticks to go around. Is it fair to use different controllers if you let the less skilled player pick?

Also, does the PS3 stick work with PC? The 360 one does.
  • JayJay
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to do in the situation where there aren't enough sticks to go around. Is it fair to use different controllers if you let the less skilled player pick?
    Depends on the skill difference. If there is a fairly large gap and both players are used to stick, letting the less skilled player use the stick should even things out. If both players are of near equal there isn't really a fair way to deal with it.
    To use a ps3 controller you need to install a driver and turn off driver reinforcement at start up using windows vista. I imagine the same would be needed for the PS3 stick for windows vista or 7.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • edited May 2010
    It does on Windows 7.
    Post edited by VentureJ on