This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Street Fighter IV

Comments

• Got a question. I'm not paying moneys and I I'm not getting SF4. Is there anyway I can get cool looking outfits and accessories? I'm hoping beating it on 8 or completing trials will unlock it. And by beating it, I mean allowing me to lose a round or two.
    Beating the game only gets you different colors and taunts. You get these by playing anything really, sit down on vs. with a friend for an hour and you'll likely unlock all colors/taunts for your respective characters. You have to have a SF4 save file on your system for the "sketch" and "ink" colors. You need to pay money for alternate costumes.
  • i getting good at cody but im open to suggestions. any one wanna fight my GT is videodragon62

bit new to the forums so go easy on me ^.^
  • I just picked up the game and am having trouble doing even the simplest of combos. I'm using Cammy and one of the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Arcade Sticks.
  • I just picked up the game and am having trouble doing even the simplest of combos. I'm using Cammy and one of the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Arcade Sticks.
    Welcome.
  • edited June 2010
    I feel really ashamed that I played Street Fighter IV for so long and that I suck as much as I do (of course, I mostly played with some of my friends at school and they are completely terrible).

Is there anyone that is going to be on later that wouldn't mind playing some teaching games with me? It would be nice to have someone telling me what I'm doing wrong rather than trying to figure it out by myself. I'm working through the Challenge mode and can do some of the combos, but not reliably.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • It would be nice to have someone telling me what I'm doing wrong rather than trying to figure it out by myself.
    I have tried to find such a person to do this, and have not been able to. I don't think people are willing to teach beyond YouTube videos and poorly worded explanations.
  • I feel really ashamed that I played Street Fighter IV for so long and that I suck as much as I do (of course, I mostly played with some of my friends at school and they are completely terrible).

Is there anyone that is going to be on later that wouldn't mind playing some teaching games with me? It would be nice to have someone telling me what I'm doing wrong rather than trying to figure it out by myself. I'm working through the Challenge mode and can do some of the combos, but not reliably.
    I'll do it once I get my mic back. My friend has it at the moment. Who do you use?
  • Cammy, but I have also been trying out Ibuki.
  • I play Cammy, and she can be a little tricky. She's a rush character, but she has some defense. You really need to learn all her moves though, since it will help you mix up how you attack them. Especially the Hooligan, which people generally seem to not understand how to defend against it.
  • Especially the Hooligan, which people generally seem to not understand how to defend against it.
    That's me. Care to inform?
  • The Hooligan can do two things, if the player uses it and does nothing it will attack low. If blocked its pretty vulnerable. The other way, which you should basically always do as a Cammy player, is do the throw when you get close to the enemy. The throw has a fairly forgiving grab range from my experience, and it will also air grab.

Your best bet defensively is to think of it like a jump attack, so shoryuken/cannon spike type anti-air attacks will deal with it. Sagat's standing heavy kick would probably also do the trick, and if I remember correctly Dictator also has similar standing heavy kick. However you should be wary of the fact that the grab can get you during the rise animation if timed right, so if you don't have a way to break the rise and get away or counter you can get stuck getting Hooligan thrown for a bit.
  • I have tried to find such a person to do this, and have not been able to. I don't think people are willing to teach beyond YouTube videos and poorly worded explanations.
    Professional gaming tutors? As our generation, one of the first to have never known a world without videogames, grows into "adulthood (i.e., money), it's not that unlikely. Think of it like skiing. I'll pay a skiing expert good money to simply watch me ski and tell me directly what I'm doing wrong. As videogames are becoming so deeply entrenched in our culture, will videogaming not eventually be seen in the same light as skiing?

Mark my words. Within 20 years, there will be a thriving market for personal gaming tutors.
  • edited June 2010
    Mark my words. Within 20 years, there will be a thriving market for personal gaming tutors.
    There could be one now. I would pay the same price as what guitar lessons costs for a handful of Street Fighter lessons.

EDIT: exists already
    These guys are selling audio strategy guides. Sorry, if I'm going to pay money I want someone to watch me play, answer my questions, and tell me specifically what I'm doing wrong and why.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Played the demo. Thoroughly displeased at control and seemingly endless stream of AI-bullshit cheating. Controls are a nightmare on a regular controller as well.
  • Thoroughly displeased at control
    It's just Street Fighter controls. What's wrong with 'em? Anything bad I have to say about SSFIV, I have to say about most every other Street Fighter.
  • edited June 2010
    I've always hated the console-controls, in almost every Capcom console adaptation. Those damn trigger buttons just don't work for me when I'm trying to do combos. Additionally, there were several times where something clearly should have hit, and simply didn't. I don't stand for that kind of bullshit.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I've always hated the console-controls, in almost every Capcom console adaptation. Those damn trigger buttons just don't work for me when I'm trying to do combos.
    Yeah. I bought the stick just for that reason. I probably wouldn't bother with Street Fighter without it.
  • I've always hated the console-controls, in almost every Capcom console adaptation. Those damn trigger buttons just don't work for me when I'm trying to do combos.
    Yeah. I bought the stick just for that reason. I probably wouldn't bother with Street Fighter without it.
    Agreed.
  • edited June 2010
    I've always hated the console-controls, in almost every Capcom console adaptation. Those damn trigger buttons just don't work for me when I'm trying to do combos.
    Yes, a stick is absolutely mandatory for Street Fighter. However...
    Additionally, there were several times where something clearly should have hit, and simply didn't. I don't stand for that kind of bullshit.
    This will still happen to you even with the world's greatest stick. I guarantee it. The game demands incredible precision. If you press a button a fraction of a second too late or too early, it just won't cut it. Also, things that seem like bullshit are actually following the rules. You just don't know the rules, thus you will call bullshit, when the reality is you just don't understand why.

For example, you will do a kick, the other person will also kick. You will get hit and they won't. You will call BS. The reality is that their move had a different hitbox and priority, and you were just unaware. They should have that shit in the instruction book, I know. I bitch about that as well.

Also, the computer absolutely does cheat. But this is a game that you should never play against the AI. All characters are unlocked from the beginning. You play against real people only. But even against real people, who can't cheat, you will call BS. Every opponent who is at a high skill level will completely dominate you. You won't get a single hit. You won't be able to comprehend anything you could have done differently. That's just how these games are.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2010
    I've played online fighting games (DOA2, Soul Calibur) enough to know that it's an utter waste of time. There is no middle ground in my experience. I either dominate someone who has obviously just started playing the game, or my opponent does some unstoppable, unavoidable combo (read as "Uses Siegfried").

Another example: The entire Tekken series was dead to me after Lee in Tekken 3 could defeat ANYONE at any time by using rapid low kicks. One button. You couldn't roll, block, avoid, or attack if you were hit with a succession of the low-kicks and could effectively win with him every time by hitting ONE BUTTON repeatedly. This was 'in the game rules' and wasn't technically cheating, but what moron programmer puts that kind of bullshit in their game?

Fighting games are not my forte, I admit, but when I fought the AI as Guile with Guile, and his sonic booms repeatedly went through mine after impacting, I had enough. Rules and precision that have the appearance of flagrant cheating against the in-game physics, even if there are 'rules I don't understand' are simply not worth the aggravation IMHO.
  • and his sonic booms repeatedly went through mine after impacting, I had enough.
    That's because he was doing EX Sonic Booms. That is in the instruction manual. You have no excuse on that one.
  • edited June 2010
    and his sonic booms repeatedly went through mine after impacting, I had enough.
    That's because he was doing EX Sonic Booms. That is in the instruction manual. You have no excuse on that one.
    Playin' the demo. No manual. Watching my low sweeps go right through his non-blocking, non-jumping sprite while he was close enough to make it look like there was some Guile slash fiction about to happen didn't help either.
  • Playin' the demo. No manual.
    Press start to open the menu at any time during the game. Go to the command list.There's a little graphic next to every move that can be performed as an EX attack. And there's a legend that tells you that the symbol means that the move is EX-able. Also, how can you not notice that his sonic booms were a different color, and he was flashing gold when he threw them?

I know as well as anyone the bullshit hidden crap in this game, there's more than enough of it to go around. But I really can't say that you've earned the right to complain about it if you haven't at least done all the completely non-hidden stuff.
  • Watching my low sweeps go right through his non-blocking, non-jumping sprite while he was close enough to make it look like there was some Guile slash fiction about to happen didn't help either.
    Was probably using focus attack armor. Also not hidden at all.
  • edited June 2010
    Watching my low sweeps go right through his non-blocking, non-jumping sprite while he was close enough to make it look like there was some Guile slash fiction about to happen didn't help either.
    Was probably using focus attack armor. Also not hidden at all.
    Focus attack armor? What the shit? Is that some sort of epic drop outside of Ogrimar? Do I need a group to get in the instance to find it?
  • Ogrimar
    Orgrimmar.

And dude, why the fuck are fighting games so complicated these days? Focus attack armor? EX attacks? Fuck this.
  • Focus attack armor? What the shit?
    You should like focus attacks. Press medium kick and medium punch simultaneously with any character. Doesn't get much easier than that.
  • And dude, why the fuck are fighting games so complicated these days? Focus attack armor? EX attacks? Fuck this.
    I agree to some extent that there is needless complication. But to be perfectly honest, if the game were not this complicated, it would be trivially easy. When a fighting game is too simple, the skill cap is incredibly low. If you put any effort into it at all, you will become a master. Complication is necessary to make the game good. What I don't like isn't that the game is complicated, it's that there are many rules left unexplained, like EV training in Pokemon. Also, many advanced rules are counter intuitive. The ideal fighting game should be complex, but intuitive.
  • edited June 2010
    Come over this weekend Pete, we'll get some serious, non-unnecessarily complicated fighting on.
  • I think my skill went up again. I played a lot of Cammys and Ibukis today, my hated enemies. I didn't lose all the time. The last game I played was against a Zangief, and he only grabbed me one time. I think if he would have used the spinning attacks more, I wouldn't have been able to beat him.

Also, I switched from using the Nightmare Booster to using the Psycho Punisher. At first I didn't like it as much, but now I think I like it better. It's not easy to actually hit with, but I can whip it out without need for charging. In one match this helped me a ton. I had almost no health left, and I was on the ground. Ryu was right next to me, and he was whipping out the fireball ultra. I did the Psycho Punisher on wakeup, went right over the top and won.