This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New York Comic Con & New York Anime Festival

2»

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Huzzah! I may be able to attend due to schedule clearing! Just need a place to crash, if anyone's couch is clear let me know ASAP, thank you.

Now an after party.

If I do go would need to get a 3 day at this point, hopefully plans will work out *fingers crossed*
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Schedule finally firmed up. I'll be there Thursday night and all day Saturday.
  • I've been approved to interview Makoto Shinkai! <3
  • So Jelly, for reals!
    Ask him a lot of good questions about being an independent animator!
  • So Jelly, for reals!
    Ask him a lot of good questions about being an independent animator!
    I'm open to suggestions if you have anything specific you'd like to ask.
  • Going for my first time on Saturday, haven't decided what to do there yet.
  • Heading there on Saturday to hang out and buy stuff that I don't really need but want anyway. Whoot.
  • I have to ask a question to the NY people here: I am looking to park my car over in Union city to take the Ferry from Port Imperial does anyone know of a good lot I can park my car at that is a) safe and b)open late into the morning. Planning to leave around Midnight so need a lot that isn't going to close.
  • I don't know about the Port Imperial Ferry, but at that point you are basically 10-15 min north of the Hoboken PATH station, which I am very familiar with, and can assure you has very safe 24 hour parking garages. I usually stay in the central parking system garages. Generally, with any of the garages around that entire area, you don't have much risk of your car disappearing, but do take the simple precaution of locking your vehicle and taking all valuables with you. It's never happened to me but you just never know when someone will pop the locks and root through your stuff.
  • Thanks for the tip, its official I am heading up there with another guy and we are going to pay too much for only one day. Also is there a beluga group for this or we playing it by ear for meetups and what not?
  • I don't think I'm gonna be doing much meeting up, I'm pretty much going to be working the entire time I'm there, or just doing some quick walks of the show floor.

If you're looking for something cool to do, on Friday morning and most of the day Saturday, Luke Crane will be running Mouse Guard RPG demos at the Archaia booth with none other than Mouse Guard writer/illustrator David Peterson

• If you're looking for something cool to do, on Friday morning and most of the day Saturday, Luke Crane will be running Mouse Guard RPG demos at the Archaia booth with none other than Mouse Guard writer/illustrator David Peterson
    Thank you for telling me where to go.
  • There are a few shirt vendors with Pony stuff, and a lady in the artist alley who does those iron-on peg crafts, with lots of ponies in her selection.

The reason you're not going to get any ponies there from Hasbro is that most of the people working there are not actually from Hasbro. The mother-company has a split PR structure that really fucks things up in that regard. They contract out all of the marketing for Marvel/GIJoe/Transformers to Hunter PR, but their stuff like board games, ponies, and Nerf are with a different company (Litzky PR). I'm pretty sure they autonomously decide how to set their marketing strategies, so while the guys at Hunter are super in touch with geek culture, the Litzky people, not so much. There is a Nerf Vortex setup in the autograph/tabletop ghetto though, so obviously someone at Litzky knows NYCC exists, and THEY DONE FUCKED UP.
  • Also, I was there for "preview night" last night (which is no longer an actual preview night if they're going to let every single person with a 4-day badge in). Rym, I saw you blaze paste me somewhere around the 600 or 700 aisle but didn't want to interrupt b/c it looked like you were in the middle of filming a continuous walkthrough of the entire show floor in one cut.

I was a bit let down by the main show floor, not because it wasn't full of stuff (it was packed), but since I'm so behind on consuming almost every sort of media aside from board games, I cannot appreciate stuff that is not even out yet. I can't ogle a sequel to a game or book when I've got the original sitting at home unopened, begging me to play/read it!

Has most of my fun in the artist alley. I got Katie Cook to sketch a pink yoshi for my wife as part of my anniversary gift to her (she is in love with them). Also, got Matt from The Oatmeal to sign a copy of his book, and then he met up with me after she show closed and we did an interview for MTV Geek. He's a great guy!
  • Has most of my fun in the artist alley. I got Katie Cook to sketch a pink yoshi for my wife as part of my anniversary gift to her (she is in love with them). Also, got Matt from The Oatmeal to sign a copy of his book, and then he met up with me after she show closed and we did an interview for MTV Geek. He's a great guy!
    Katie Cook is a brony, going to make her draw ponies.
  • edited October 2011
    Anyone else go today? I recall seeing Ametto, Yo and company in the anime ghetto today, but didn't run into anyone else.
    Makoto Shinkai's panel was cool, and he was really pretty chill and funny.

The panel on strong female characters with Tamora Pierce was amazing. It was three old, funny writers (and one new one) being catty to each other and talking about writing and how being a girl sucked until about twenty years.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Other highlight of the show for me: balancing my laptop on top of my head while waiting in line for the Tamora Pierce panel and playing MLP for the masses.
  • I went to the Shinkai Panel and enjoyed it very much. He was candid and interesting and the translator lady was really good.
    (Also, OMG he takes photo reference and works off the photos! Now I don't feel guilty for not drawing everything from perspective scratch.)
  • Apparently, there were at least six of my badges floating around at the convention.
  • So they merged all the interview blocks of Makoto Shinkai so it was supposed to be me and ten others with Shinkai for an hour. I think four showed up and two took off when they learned that no video would be allowed. After waiting a half hour it was still just the two of us. The other guy only asked three fairly simple questions. Expecting only to get one or two questions I prepared a bunch of specific questions on things I was curious about in "5 Centimeters" and was gonna pick my favorites as I went. I got to ask pretty much all of them. He was funny, humble, and incredibly kind. When I went for an autograph on Sunday he recognized me immediately and thanked me for coming out. I told him the new film was beautiful. He then told me that he had fun talking with me the day before. I held back a squee.

There is something about the Japanese flavor of humble that just takes me aback.
  • Ooooh, I wish I could have interviewed him in Japanese. He seemed super cool!
  • DOUBLE RAINBOW!image
  • DOUBLE RAINBOW!image
    Pixel Papa and SquarePainter make an AWESOME team, which they make more things I can buy that I can afford.
  • Mrehhh, forgot all about this. Someone remind me to get my ish together a week in advance, and I'll have a rooftop party on my apartment 3 blocks away from the center.

/the shit has been talked