This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Synthetic Life (Holy $@#?)

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
Story here
This is still developing but I feel a thread is needed. This is BIG news!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    This is only the very beginning basic stuff.
    Also, religious groups will loose their shit.

Also: In the bit where it says "Discussion topic", could you put the discussion topic?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Idiot requests a simple explanation and a more informative thread title.
  • They've made living cells from scratch...I think.
  • edited May 2010
    Wasn't that already done in the 19th century?
    Post edited by Adelbert on
  • I'm inferring from a talk Dr. Venter did for TED a few years ago but here is the basic idea.

His goal in that talk was to digitize the genetic codes for pretty much every life form he could find and break it down to determine what genes did what. His idea was to then "design" genomes to specialized organisms for specific purposes. The big news here seems to be he wrote a genome, had it manufactured, and then successfully implanted it into a cell and it grew on its own. I'll be following this on an ongoing basis so I can try to keep those interested up to date. =D
  • The clock moves closer to total zombie outbreak.
  • This is pretty awesome, I will definitely keep a watch on it.
  • Venter is working on bacteria that build crude oil from nothing but biomass and superalgae that consume ungodly amounts of CO2. The man may have an ego so massive it sucks in light, but his company is spearheading the biopunk research that is going to save our asses.
  • The clock moves closer to total zombie outbreak.
    QFT
  • They've made living cells from scratch...I think.
    I heard an interview with the man in charge of the project on my local NPR affiliate. I got the impression that they changed the DNA strands and then injected them into already existing cells. However, doing this caused them to totally change from what they were to whatever they wanted them to be. A big breakthrough nonetheless.