This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100520 - Bread

edited May 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss bread, the king of foods. We also mention the amazing Pure Komachi bread knife. In the news, it's draw Muhammad day.

Comments

• For some reason now, all I can think about is how I want a giant hunk of garlic bread.
  • Scott cuts out a handful of times. You can blame him having broken his own XLR cable by wrapping it around his boom as tightly as possible. I'm getting him a new one for next week.
  • Man, I friggin' love bread. I could eat a whole loaf of sourdough by myself with nothing extra; just tear that shit off and devour it. I wouldn't say no to some toasted baguette and a schmear of fresh chèvre, either.
  • edited May 2010
    Man, I friggin' love bread. I could eat a whole loaf of sourdough by myself with nothing extra; just tear that shit off and devour it. I wouldn't say no to some toasted baguette and a schmear of fresh chèvre, either.
    Ya, fancy bread is awesome. Even on it's own.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I enjoy bread immensely. Being a picky eater, it is one of the few things that I will just devour without too much questioning.
  • edited May 2010
    A bread knife? Really? Just keep your chef's knife or santoku properly aligned and sharp and you'll never need one. Although, at ten dollars, its not much of a gamble. One might as well.

As for breads, sourdough and sweet baguettes are king. I'm experimenting with wild sourdough (the tradition manner in which the Amish make sourdough) this summer, where you get your yeast from active airborne spores captured in a saucer of water on the windowsill. Every batch is different, and you can grow a mother if you really like the strain you find.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • A bread knife? Really? Just keep your chef's knife or santoku properly aligned and sharp and you'll never need one. Although, at ten dollars, its not much of a gamble. One might as well.
    As much as I agree, I still keep a good bread knife about, because like near everything in my kitchen, it's multi-purpose and useful. For example - my knives are sharp enough to shave hairs from your arm - but I still cut pineapple with the bread knife, because it's just easier, and since my household has learned from this example, they don't get acidic juice on my knives without washing them off properly, except for one cheap-but-good bread knife.

Also, Behind the bar, many bartenders use a decent bread knife for some fruits, because it's easier, and unless you're gonna lug your own bar kit everywhere(Like I do), and carry your knives with you behind the bar, then it's far more likely that you'll get a decent cut of fruit with the bread knife than any other knife you'd find behind most bars.
  • My chef's knife is wicked sharp, but I won't use it on breads. You need some serration for that, especially if there's a thick crust. PLus, you want less crumbs up ins.
  • edited May 2010
    It will take a lot more than bread to blunt a quality chef's knife, but I suppose if you don't want the crumbs it's handy, and I can't deny the thick crust argument. Churbs is also right about hacking through fibrous fruit with it, and like I said, I'll probably buy one. Perfectly cut brioche looks too nice to not have a bread knife if you're baking your own.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Do you all like harddough bread? Is there anyone who's never had it?

Also, will there be a water podcast?
  • I think this episode was meant for me, as I cannot stand Philadelphia, and have an insatiable love of bread. One thing I would toss into the convo is the bread bowl for soup. Bless the man who created this!

Oh and it's worth noting that after knocking Rym for corniness, Scott's staple joke was incredibly corny.
  • Ahhh bread, staple of life and something we have a weak source of (at least for fresh, decent stuff) out here in BFE. Granted you can get a semi-decent boule, baguette, or Italian loaf at the local Wal-mart (heck, these days you can even get naan!), but compared to the real stuff you can get at a good bakery they're crap.

I love making bread. There's just something about that smell of a freshly-baking loaf of beer bread or an artisan loaf that makes the whole house more inviting. For anyone interested in baking their own bread I suggest the following:

1. a good pizza stone that fits your oven (and trust me, your home-baked pizzas will think you for this as well)
    2. a peel for removing the loaf from the stone (typically you can get one at the same store where you get the stone)
    3. a good oven thermometer (or two - because most ovens have hot and cold spots, and can actually vary from what temperature the oven thermostat displays)
    4. a copy of the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" (It's full of great recipes and good tips on how to have a fresh-baked loaf ready every day with some easy prep work and a little storage space in the fridge)
    5. a good bread knife, such as the one listed in the notes (It'll keep you from squashing your loaf flat and won't get crumbs everywhere)

Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to make plans for some cheesy garlic bread to go with the spaghetti for dinner.
  • edited May 2010
    I hate "wonder bread". It's like eating a sandwich on a sponge. I think like whenever you're doing anything else related to food, the bread should add flavor to it. My personal favorite for any sandwich that contains meat and cheese is Jewish Rye. My favorite is using it to make a ham, turkey, and cheddar, with mustard and mayo on that rye bread.

Damn I'm hungry now.
    Post edited by MarcusNoble on
  • If there's one thing I can't be cheap with, it's bread. Have you ever tried to spread something on cheap bread? What a mess!
  • I hate "wonder bread". It's like eating a sandwich on a sponge.
    In defense of Wonderbread, its texture makes it halfway decent for toast and you can get some pretty fine-ground breadcrumbs out of it for breading purposes. That being said, I wouldn't use it for sandwiches if you paid me to eat it.
  • Delurking just to say that by my calculation, this was the 660th episode of Geeknights. 666 is not far away! How about a celebratory episode that's suitably Satan-themed?
  • Have they reviewed Odin yet?
  • Curse your talk of Bread! It made me buy a small loaf of sundried tomato-basil bread at the farmer's market...

I am curious though on what you said about the Ustream. You want it to stay around, but don't want to interact with it for the show. Do you just want to give loyal FRCers extra content?
  • edited May 2010
    Do you just want to give loyal FRCers extra content?
    Most people discover us through iTunes or conventions. A live stream is one other good way for people to discover us. Especially with the way UStream works, if we get enough viewers we get on the front page of UStream, which creates a cascading effect. If we can get on the front page of UStream twice a week, that could be pretty great.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So, you did a show once about food. Then you did a show about sandwiches. Then a show about bread. Will the next food show be about flour or water?
  • It'll be about carbon molecules.
  • edited May 2010
    So, you did a show once about food. Then you did a show about sandwiches. Then a show about bread. Will the next food show be about flour or water?
    I demand a show about beer, with special guest Peter. Rym did say that beer and bread were the roots of civilization.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • The town I'm living in right now, is really crappy, but for some reason there is some amazing bread here. Besides the normal french bread (when you say bread in Brazil people refer to french bread automatically), a little market near by sells bacon bread, sausage bread, corn bread, onion bread, garlic bread, a few kinds of sweet bread and some others really tasty bread. Speaking about that, I'm off to get some.
  • Needs more sour dough.
  • In Mesopotamia (Ancient Iraq), early evidence of beer is a 3900-year-old Sumerian poem honoring Ninkasi, the patron goddess of brewing, which contains the oldest surviving beer recipe, describing the production of beer from barley via bread.[23]
    Emphasis mine.

This indicates that bread probably came first, I just wanted to mention this after hearing you debate it on the show.
  • So, you did a show once about food. Then you did a show about sandwiches. Then a show about bread. Will the next food show be about flour or water?
    I demand a show about beer, with special guest Peter. Rym did say that beer and bread were the roots of civilization.
    As much as I would love to hear a show about that, especially if the brewery expert of the FRC is present, Scott is the #1 foil in this case as it's no secret that he doesn't like alcohol.
  • edited May 2010
    Needs more sour dough.
    QFT
    Sourdough is one of my favorite types of bread, right up there with cinnamon raisin and pumpernickel.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I may get into fancier breadmaking at some point but right now my weekly ritual consists of picking up a fresh batch of dough from the local pizzaria, and rolling it up with some random meat and cheese into a stromboli creation. Great snacking food for the week.
  • edited May 2010
    Sucrilhos, did you just say "bacon bread"?

brb walking to the bakery down the street.

UPDATE: Mmm, delicious potato chedder chive bread. Mmm.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on