This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Want to play Snes multiplayer online?

edited May 2010 in Video Games
Ok, so if you're interested in playing Snes games online with people (ie: me, other forumites), then here is a quick guide to getting it to work.

You need to get Zsnes v1.36, hamachi and the same copy of the Rom you want to play. Use Zsnes 1.36 because it's netplay actually works, the newer versions have had that feature disabled. Then set up and install hamachi on you computer. Then you need to get an identical copy of the rom. I suggest using something like skype to just send the same file.

My Skype ID, for ease of reference is 'neuralrazor'. Feel free to add me if you're interested.

Anyways from there, you will have to create a hamachi network, and the other person will have to join. Then open Zsnes but don't load the rom yet, Click on netplay>internet. Then one person will click 'host' and the other person enteres the IP they see in the hamachi window and clicks join. Then the host simply loads the Rom you should both have a copy of.

So here are a list of games that I want to play some multiplayer on:
Metal Warriors
Goof Troop
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore

Can't really think of any more atm, but if you're interested or have a different game to play then add me on skype/respond in this tread.

Comments

• Ok, so if you're interested in playing Snes games online with people (ie: me, other forumites), then here is a quick guide to getting it to work.

You need to getZsnes v1.36,hamachiand the same copy of the Rom you want to play. Use Zsnes 1.36 because it's netplay actually works, the newer versions have had that feature disabled. Then set up and install hamachi on you computer. Then you need to get an identical copy of the rom. I suggest using something like skype to just send the same file.

My Skype ID, for ease of reference is 'neuralrazor'. Feel free to add me if you're interested.

Anyways from there, you will have to create a hamachi network, and the other person will have to join. Then open Zsnes but don't load the rom yet, Click on netplay>internet. Then one person will click 'host' and the other person enteres the IP they see in the hamachi window and clicks join. Then the host simply loads the Rom you should both have a copy of.

So here are a list of games that I want to play some multiplayer on:
    Metal Warriors
    Goof Troop
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore

Can't really think of any more atm, but if you're interested or have a different game to play then add me on skype/respond in this tread.
    AWESOME!! This is amazing. Anyone else interested in attempting anything like this, or not?
  • edited May 2010
    I think I've tried it before. The way it works, I believe, is that both players send their controller signals to one another - you're each playing a separate two-player game, and loss of sync is inevitable.
    Maybe I have a different emulator in mind, though (Project64, perhaps). Hopefully the multiplayer in ZSNES is smarter.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2010
    I think I've tried it before. The way it works, I believe, is that both players send their controller signals to one another - you're each playing a separate two-player game, and loss of sync is inevitable.
    No, this is pretty much how they work. I've done this many times in the past with many NES and SNES emulators, and sync is lost even playing on the same LAN. It works well for games that are not real time, like say Jeopardy or Family Feud.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Gunther and I had it working quite well, we were robot battling in 16 bits a few days ago, I couldn't tell that there was any lag... although I did lose a couple times, but that's probably just from the rust. I suppose we'll have to actually attempt it to see if there is any noticeable lag with you guys though.
  • edited May 2010
    Any suggestions on a gamepad that will work with Win7 and ZSNES? It doesn't seem to recognize my Xbox 360 pad (which, tbh, was a long-shot in my book anyway). I'm going to dig out my old-school USB-hacked Xbox pad from storage tonight and give it a test. If that doesn't fly then I'll just have to crank out a custom xpadder config for the 360 pad.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited May 2010
    Any suggestions on a gamepad that will work with Win7 and ZSNES? It doesn't seem to recognize my Xbox 360 pad (which, tbh, was a long-shot in my book anyway). I'm going to dig out my old-school USB-hacked Xbox pad from storage tonight and give it a test. If that doesn't fly then I'll just have to crank out a custom xpadder config for the 360 pad.
    The 360 pad should work. Is it an official Microsoft one?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2010
    I highly recommend the 360 controller, it's a good analogue of the Snes controller and even allows you to use the dpad instead of the stick if that's what you like. Gunther and I were both using them to play metal warriors and it was working quite well, just remember to actually install the software from microsoft's website or it will not seem too work. It will light up, but will not work! Be aware that you will also need to use either a wired controller or get the wifi usb adapter for it to work with a pc.

I'm running win 7 btw, on my acer laptop, which is notoriously finicky about which hardware it will actually let me use, so most likely you are making some kind of small mistake and not knowing it.

At any rate feel free to add me on skype if you want me to help with any trouble shooting or you want to game, I've messed around with the stuff involved for so long that I've made almost every obvious mistake by now.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • just remember to actually install the software from microsoft's website or it will not seem too work. It will light up, but will not work!
    Worked first time when I plugged mine in. Have you set Windows to search for drivers online?
  • The only thing wrong with the 360 controller is that the d-pad is kind of crappy. I wonder if it's possible to modify a 360 controller by sticking a GameCube/GBA d-pad into it.
  • edited May 2010
    It's a weird one. The center point, around which it rotates, seems to be about 3-5mm below the surface of the pad, and fixed firmly in place. Tried playing Zelda LP and it seems to act like a joypad.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thats a good point, I hate how it's a plastic circle that rocks around, it doesn't feel very good to use the dpad actually. That's why I've been playing the megamanX games with the stick. I like being able to configure the controls for any game though, many have become surprisingly easy due to the fact that I simply made a better scheme.... kind of leads me to question the actual difficulty of the game if bad controls are the only thing that makes it hard though.

@Omnutia: yeah, I have the auto driver search thing on, and it says that my 360's installed and working properly, but it just doesn't work until I install the right software (might be because I need the 64bit version and it installs the 32bit one or something similar). I don't fully understand why this happens, or really care, because I figured out how to get it to work now though.
  • edited May 2010
    The 360 pad should work. Is it an official Microsoft one?
    Yeah, it's an official MS pad, and it works fine in most of my other games [1]. I didn't have much time to mess with it this morning and as I was thinking about it on my commute I think I may have had an order of operations failure on my part. I'm pretty sure I plugged the pad in after I fired up ZSNES and when I went in to configure it the app wasn't recognizing any button presses. I just chalked it up to incompatibility as I've run into other games that don't recognize the pad. I'll have another go at it when I get home before I go digging through the storage tubs in the basement for the old gear. I get the feeling that if I plug in the pad before firing up ZSNES it'll work like a charm.

[1] Older stuff like Psychonauts for the PC doesn't pick it up properly though. Xpadder fixes that problem quite readily.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Yeah, that is one thing that is very annoying. You have to get your joysticks plugged in and turned on before starting the emulator. It seems like only GFW and XNA games can handle a new joystick being added after the game is started.
  • Well, beat all of Armored Core for answer again, so that's done. I'm looking for someone to play some gooftroop or something, I wish megamanX was 2 player, I could show of my shooting/platforming skills.
  • Well, beat all of Armored Core for answer again, so that's done. I'm looking for someone to play some gooftroop or something, I wish megamanX was 2 player, I could show of my shooting/platforming skills.
    Take a video, you could even use the freeware Cam Studio and post it on youtube or even better for a long video, Viddler.
  • Yeah, but that's not really the kind of experience I'm interested in. I'm more interested in the 'person sitting beside you' kind of banter/hijinks that result from playing video games around others in real time. I'm just lacking people around here who are actually interested in anything like that. I miss the days of playing Snes with my brother and sister either playing too or watching me play and the dumb things we concluded based on the way games work.
  • Hey, I can't seem to edit my original post. Random people keep adding me from the internet in general asking me to fix their zsnes multiplayers.... I just want to remove my skype ID.