This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Product Reviews

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
Does anyone here leave product reviews on sites like Amazon or Newegg?

I realized that I always look at the reviews on these sites, and trust them quite a bit. I think it's mostly because they don't steer me wrong. Here is a short list from memory of products that are amazing which I purchased because of the influence of a review on Newegg/Amazon

Xporter USB sticks (fastest out there)
Calphalon Commercial pans (amazing)
Zojirushi Micon 3 cup rice cooker (amazing)
Whatever optical disc drive I got in the HTPC (so quiet)

It mostly helps when I'm trying to buy a product in a category that I am not an expert in if there is a pile of expert opinions I can trust. And by expert I mean someone who has used or owns the product.

So I decided today to go back and write a bunch of quick reviews of things I bought, to help the next guy. Most of the time I was just adding my voice to the choir. Do I really need to add another 5 star rating to something that has over 100 already? But in my reviews I tried to point out the tricky things and quirks that otherwise might not be noted elsewhere, or that people might not realize. Of course, only people like myself will even care about such quirks, but good to get the word out there.

One other interesting thing I noted is this special feature Amazon seems to have added recently. Because I was reviewing a product I purchased on Amazon, they put a special flag on my review that verifies to the world that yes I actually bought this, so my review is for reals. That's pretty smart. Surprised that it's so new.

Comments

• I do every once in a while. But, like you said, I usually don't if I'm just echoing what everyone else has said or don't feel like I have anything new to add.
  • edited May 2010
    Whatever optical disc drive I got in the HTPC (so quiet)
    I need a good, quiet optical drive. Can you dig up a link?
    Calphalon Commercial pans (amazing)
    Was it a set, or did you buy them separately? I'm torn between Calph and All Clad right now. All Clad is really expensive and will last forever (seriously, they become heirlooms), but Calphelon has a phenomenal quality to cost ratio.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010
    Was it a set, or did you buy them separately? I'm torn between Calph and All Clad right now. All Clad is really expensive and will last forever (seriously, they become heirlooms), but Calphelon has a phenomenal quality to cost ratio.
    I've bought three Calphalon pans in my life, all separate. The first was a Kitchen Essentials fry pan which is "by Calphalon." It served me well enough over the years, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The two pans I bought more recently on amazon are Calphalon Commercial pans.
    Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch International Griddle/Crepe Pan
    Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Lid
    Both of these pans are fucking epic.

Here's the optical drive in my HTPC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167
    However, it looks as if they have updated it since the time I bought it. Now it comes with some malware of some sort that pops up LG ads when you close the drive. Mine definitely does not do that.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The two pans I bought more recently on amazon are Calphalon Commercial pans.
    Oh wow. Those are just updated versions of the pots and pans my mom has used all my life. They are fucking epic; I'll be buying some.
  • edited May 2010
    Zojirushi Micon 3 cup rice cooker (amazing)
    Now do you guys know what I am talking about when I say that Japanese rice cookers may be more expensive but they are totally better than the 30 dollar ones we used to have? You can also make cake and steam vegetables in it too! Suihanki FTW!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Zojirushi Micon 3 cup rice cooker (amazing)
    Now do you guys know what I am talking about when I say that Japanese rice cookers may be more expensive but they are totally better than the 30 dollar ones we used to have? You can also make cake and steam vegetables in it too! Suihanki FTW!
    Who didn't believe you?
  • Since this is a product discussion:
    Anyone wanna suggest some good headphones (not earbuds) that I could use to play along to music on the drums? My current earbuds aren't loud enough and shit hits the fan (quality wise) if I crank it up too high.
  • If you have to crank up the volume that far then it's probably not great for your hearing.
  • It's tricky. You're going to need something that a) covers your ear completely and b) has noise canceling. That is going to preserve your hearing as much as possible by allowing you to not have to turn up the music as loud. But hey, you're a drummer, hearing loss is just going to be a fact of life.
  • IEMs with solid isolation would do the job.
  • edited May 2010
    IEMs with solid isolation would do the job.
    If he has the money, then I guess. I am a big fan of over-ear headphones though, especially when instruments are involved. When you're playing drums, there's a lot of sound that needs to be muffled in order for you to listen at a "comfortable" volume. You can also get much better quality for a lot less money.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • IEMs are generally better at blocking out sound than circumaural headphones.
  • edited May 2010
    IEMs are generally better at blocking out sound than circumaural headphones.
    Not everyone has the moneys, and I'd rather take quality of sound over sound isolation.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Okay, so I don't have too much money, I'm gonna need something pretty cheap. I got around $100, though I don't wanna spend that much.
    Links pls?
  • Okay, so I don't have too much money, I'm gonna need something pretty cheap. I got around $100, though I don't wanna spend that much.
    Links pls?
    These are my Circumaurals! They are made of GOD AND WIN.
    Links pls?
    These are my Circumaurals!They are made of GOD AND WIN.
    God AND Win AT THE SAME TIME? This is madness. I think about it. I think probably yes.
  • If you know what products to look for, you can find the most hilarious Amazon reviews. Take this book for example.

How to Live with a Huge Penis: Advice, Meditations, and Wisdom for Men Who Have Too Much
  • If you know what products to look for, you can find the most hilarious Amazon reviews. Take this book for example.
    Oh mans, just seeing the first few pages of that book has my stomach hurting from laughter.
  • How to Live with a Huge Penis: Advice, Meditations, and Wisdom for Men Who Have Too Muchimage
    Those reviews are so awesome.
    I know you can really relate to the tuna can guy.
  • This was a short-lived meme on YTMND an internet eon ago.

TUSCAN WHOLE MILK
  • Three words: All-Clad pans. Holy fucking shit, you guys.
  • edited August 2010
    I cannot tell you how helpful the Shark steam-mop, portable steamer, and Navigator vacuum have been. We bought all three at Wal-mart a week or so ago and they're an awesome trio of cleaning tools. Also, all three combined were less than the cheapest Dyson.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on