This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking For a Gamer Case

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
I'm looking for a no ps gamer case with a budget of about $125. So far I've only looked at the Antec ones. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Lights will keep you awake, shop accordingly. That is all.
  • edited May 2010
    It won't be in the room I sleep in so that's not a problem. I don't want it to sound like my air conditioner though.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Why exactly do you want a "gamer case"?
    Uh, i'm looking at building a computer for gaming with.
  • edited May 2010
    Bam. Quietest, coolest case I've ever owned. You'd basically be paying an extra $80 for LEDs and water cooling that you don't need with a "gamer" case.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Yeah, cases advertised as "gamer cases" may look pretty compared to your run-of-the-mill computer case, butthey're only really charging you up the wazoo for the appearance alone. Ignore anything that has to do with appearance, and compile a list of cases within your price range that hold what you need, with a decent amount of air flow in to boot, and *then* take appearance into account. It seems like the amount of noise that the fans make is important to you, so take that into consideration when compiling a list of what you could potentially get.
  • edited May 2010
    Why exactly do you want a "gamer case"?
    It seems like the amount of noise that the fans make is important to you, so take that into consideration when compiling a list of what you could potentially get.
    it's not a huge deal, i just don't want it to be crazy loud. The antec 900 looks nice. I think Rym has one. Is it crazy loud? Are there better alternatives?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited May 2010
    I looked at what coolermaster had to offer. This is the best I've seen yet. It features fan and led controls, comes with an ssd drive bay adapter, screwless drive bays, reasonable fans, a handle for easy transport and a design I prefer over the Antec 900's.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited May 2010
    Lights will keep you awake, shop accordingly. That is all.
    really? I think that depends on how crappy of a sleeper you are, personally I can fall asleep with a training crashing through the first floor of my house.

You should worry more about this :-p light at night causes cancer :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • ...I can fall asleep with a training crashing through the first floor of my house.
    That's because you drink too much. :(
  • edited May 2010
    I miss the days when computers cases were more simple beasts. What color do you want? We've got tan, tan, and tan.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I miss the days when computers cases were more simple beasts. What color do you want? We've got tan, tan, and tan.
    Ya, lol. I've had many of those in the past.
  • I miss the days when computers cases were more simple beasts. What color do you want? We've got tan, tan, and tan.
    Man, if you could get one in black, that was some serious shit right there.
    Or Dark Blue/Purple. You knew a guy had some fucking serious computing to be done if his case was dark blue/purple.
    Or Dark Blue/Purple. You knew a guy had some fucking serious computing to be done if his case was dark blue/purple.
    Aw yeah - I remember cutting my first cooling fan hole with a drill and a hacksaw, and smoothing out the hole with a file, because you just couldn't get cases with extra holes for fans, let alone extra inbuilt fans.
  • edited May 2010
    I miss the days when computers cases were more simple beasts. What color do you want? We've got tan, tan, and tan.
    Aw yeah - I remember cutting my first cooling fan hole with a drill and a hacksaw, and smoothing out the hole with a file, because you just couldn't get cases with extra holes for fans, let alone extra inbuilt fans.
    Remember when guys were like, "Yeah man, I cut and installed an acrylic case window in my rig," and people were like "Oh shit?"

And then some guy was like, "Pfft. I cut and installed a case window, only after cutting and installing a mesh fan port in the window," at which point everyone was like "OH MANS. FUCK. MY. SHIT."

Then, the guy went, "Oh yeah, I forgot," flipped a crudely-wired Radio Shack switch turning on a cannibalized cold cathode tube, and the entire LAN party pissed their pants in sheer terror.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'd like to know what Rym has to say about the Antec 900 before I finalize my other choice.
  • I'd like to know what Rym has to say about the Antec 900 before I finalize my other choice.
    It's fantastic. Easy to work with. Very quiet (but not silent). I can think of few cases that would serve me better right now, and Emily has the very same case.
  • edited May 2010
    I've got the 901. Even with every fan on high, it's only as loud as the whisper of a gentle lover. It's the sex god of PC cases.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've got the 901. Even with every fan on high, it's only as loud as the whisper of a gentle lover. It's the sex god of PC cases.
    I think you mean the 902.

I'm a little worried about the small fans on the coolermaster. Is 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 140mm front, and 1 x 140mm top enough for the i7 920, hd 5770, 750w ps, etc?
  • Yeah, sorry.

Seriously. 902 FTW.
  • P180 owns you dawg
  • Seriously. 902 FTW.
    What are the major differences between it and the 900?
  • eSATA port on the front, 2 removable four-drive HD enclosures, fan controllers, LED fans, hueg top mounted fan, vented window, fan air filters.
  • P180 owns you dawg
    P180? I'd name that shit "The Monolith".
  • edited May 2010
    The P180 Mini is also awesome, like a F-22 crossed with a tardis. Sleek and silent yet small and roomy.
    image+image=image
    I suggest you go with it over the full size P180 as MATX is the way things are going.
    Antec seems to be doing pretty well.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The P180 Mini is also awesome, like a F-22 crossed with a tardis. Sleek and silent yet small and roomy.
    image+image=image
    I suggest you go with it over the full size P180 as MATX is the way things are going.
    Antec seems to be doing pretty well.
    Does it make the Tardis "WhrrrrrWhrrrrWhrrrr" sound when you start it up?...and then shoot missiles?
  • Does it make the Tardis "WhrrrrrWhrrrrWhrrrr" sound when you start it up?...and then shoot missiles?
    Yes, but only if you turn the top fan onto full power.
  • P180 owns you dawg
    Meh. I also have that case. It's OK, but the front USB ports broke immediately, and the door is hellah weak.
  • I currently vote the Antec 900. It looks ridiculous, sure. But construction-wise you can't really do better. Plenty of room. The front ports are in perfect position. Multiple big fans keep everything cool with minimal noise. The only alternative I would suggest is the Solo, which I have right now. The only problem with the solo is that the front bezel is all funk in the way you remove it and put it back on. I cracked mine a little bit forcing it the wrong way.

One thing about the solo is that it has positive pressure in its default configuration. That means the air pressure in the case is higher than that of the air outside the case. This means that air is constantly being pushed out. That means that heat is constantly being pushed out, and it also means dust can't get in. The 900 might also be positive pressure, but I'm not sure. It has so many holes in it that I have doubts.