This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NerdNYC Spring Recess Event

edited May 2010 in Conventions
Right before the first day of Summer (June 21st), NerdNYC has managed to squeak in their quarterly "Recess" event for Spring. This gathering is Saturday, June 19th at the 440 Studios in Manhattan. Recess is basically a 1-day mini-con that runs from 11AM to 10:30PM, with $20 admission. There are two defined 4-hour slots for gaming with on-site sign-ups, and an open gaming period and trivia competition in the mid-day break. There is also a "swap table" where you can drop off old nerdy things you don't have space for, or take other peoples junk that is your treasure.

In the second gaming slot I will be running Last Night on Earth, a "team versus the GM"-type zombie game that I enjoy a lot. It takes up to six players, and I have the main game plus the first expansion, and have even taken the time to paint up the figures. If you're within spitting distance of the city you should come play this!

Full schedule of games isn't up yet but I'll link back to it once it is. They have about 6-8 games for each slot, spanning board games, RPGs,and CCGs, but I think they are still looking for more people to run games if that's your style (also, you get free admission as a thanks).

Comments

• These events are awesome, and I suggest everyone who can attend (if you're in the area).

I was going to run an Inspectres game, but too many GMs submitted events, and I was put in the holding queue. I may run some board games instead.
  • edited June 2010
    Submissions closed, games listed:

RPGs - D&D 4 (3 games), D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Star Wars, 3:16, Dread, Rifts, HeroQuest, Dark Refuge, Talislanta, and Basic Action Super Heroes!

Board / Card Games - Dominion, Agricola, Puerto Rico, Last Night on Earth, Pandemic, Galaxy Trucker, Game of Thrones, Formula D, Space Alert, Small World, Dixit, Power Grid, Bang!, Red Dragon Inn, Wits and Wagers, Ghost Stories, MacGuffin Market, Pax Robotica!, A Game of Thrones, and Zombie State!

EDIT (6/8/10): Link to the actual schedule of events, with times
    Post edited by Matt on
  • The event is THIS WEEKEND. You should all come if you can: these events are super funs.
  • The event is THIS WEEKEND. You should all come if you can: these events are super funs.
    Ah shit.
  • Ah shit.
    Did you forget? ;^)
  • I think he has a BW game.
  • I think he has a BW game.
    No, that's the weekend after. My calendar is all good. I just really need some days.
  • oh, other scott.
  • Looking forward to some Recess as always, and <48 hours to go.

I'm playing Agricola in the early slot then running my Last Night on Earth game in the later one. There is a break from 4-6:30 for dinner, nerd trivia, and open gaming, so I'm contemplating if I should bring something for the free play time. Probably just bring a card game. I've got a serious itch to play Robo Rally but it's probably best not to squeeze it in the short timeslot, especially if I plan on going out for a real meal. I think I'll just have to have some friends over or wait for next boardgame night.
  • We'll definitely get a GeekNights dinner going on: there's stuff nearby, unlike the last Recess. (Though that bakery around the corner was pretty awesome).
  • Tomorrow's the day. I'll bring a game or two in case the slots fill up or for during the break.
  • I should try to start something like this in my area. It's not as dense as NYC, but with all the colleges around there's a good ratio of nerds.
  • I should try to start something like this in my area. It's not as dense as NYC, but with all the colleges around there's a good ratio of nerds.
    Have you considered checking out Meetup.com to see if a local gaming group already exists? If not I strongly encourage you to make one. Playing games online is fun but getting together at a table with other geeks always wins.
    We'll definitely get a GeekNights dinner going on: there's stuff nearby, unlike the last Recess. (Though that bakery around the corner was pretty awesome).
    Yeah, the new location should be excellent for grabbing food. I'm in.
  • Have you considered checking out Meetup.com to see if a local gaming group already exists? If not I strongly encourage you to make one. Playing games online is fun but getting together at a table with other geeks always wins.
    I meant a meet-up type thing. In a physical building together. What made you think I wanted to do it online?
  • Have you considered checking out Meetup.com to see if a local gaming group already exists? If not I strongly encourage you to make one. Playing games online is fun but getting together at a table with other geeks always wins.
    I meant a meet-up type thing. In a physical building together. What made you think I wanted to do it online?
    Sorry, guess I just didn't word my previous post clearly. The part about "meeting online is fun, but meeting in person is better" was just an offhand comment based on my own experiences, which was meant to say that I think your idea for getting your own in-person group together is a good one. When I suggested Meetup.com I didn't mean to use it just to meet online, but to use it as a tool to facilitate these in-person meetings.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, ok. At least it's fortunate that there's so many colleges around here; meeting spaces up the butt.
    Post edited by Neito on