This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Completely Derailed Evangelion 2.22 Thread

2»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I'm reviving this thread, since I have a very personal question.

I'm going to be introducing someone to Evangelion soon, and I was wondering if I should just show him the movies instead of the original series. Though the series was great for its time, I feel as if it may be too dated for this person, and the dub might be a bit too much. He's not too into anime, but he has been exposed to it and actively enjoys certain shows.

What do you guys think?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Show him the first remake film and then ask if he would like to see the TV series or the second film. The TV series will end, the second film will require the third film.
  • The problem with the movies is they aren't done. I mean personally I love them and think they will be great when finished. But starting someone off on a series that isn't finished is kinda cruel in my opinion. If you wanna hook someone on anime you need to show them how the story can develop into something awesome.
  • If he's not too into anime, show him some other shows first.
  • Show a man Cowboy Bebop, hook him on anime for ever. Black Lagoon works, too.
    edited August 2010
    Black Lagoon works, too.
    With the Japanese dub! Revy talking Engrish for entire episodes! GLORIOUS!
    Post edited by ... on
  • With the Japanese dub! Revy talking Engrish for entire episodes! GLORIOUS!
    While fun, I found the English dub to be pretty good too. Especially as they're really supposed to be talking in English the whole time anyway.
  • Well, as far as I know, he likes shows like Elfen Lied, Hell Girl, Higurashi, and Death Note. I'll definitely show him Cowboy Bebop, though I wonder if it's in a genre that he'd like.
  • 1) Bebop IS a genre, it says so itself during the commercialy bits
    2) Even if it's not his favorite thing ever, he will like Bebop, everyone does
  • 2) Even if it's not his favorite thing ever, he will like Bebop, everyone does
    I have met people who do not. Well, that's a lie. They weren't people.
  • Well, as far as I know, he likes shows like Elfen Lied, Hell Girl, Higurashi, and Death Note. I'll definitely show him Cowboy Bebop, though I wonder if it's in a genre that he'd like.
    Seeing that list I would give him Haibane Renmei/Serial Experiments Lain before the twice/thrice as long monstrosity that is Neon Genesis Evangelion.
    While fun, I found the English dub to be pretty good too. Especially as they're really supposed to be talking in English the whole time anyway.
    I haven't bothered with the English dub. And while it is true that they are supposed to be talking English most of the time (Revy probably with a Chinese accent iirc), the Engrish in the Japanese dub was just utterly awesome imho and added a lot of hilarity for me.
  • Engrish in the Japanese dub was just utterly awesome imho and added a lot of hilarity for me.
    Oh, the awesome bit is they leave the Engrish of the people she's talking to in the English Dub.
  • Show a man Cowboy Bebop, hook him on anime for ever. Black Lagoon works, too.
    I, however, have found an unfourtunate conciquence to showing new prospective fans Cowboy Bebop. Because Cowboy Bebop is such a singular work, you run the risk of creating a Cowboy Bebop fan and not an anime fan.
  • I, however, have found an unfourtunate conciquence to showing new prospective fans Cowboy Bebop. Because Cowboy Bebop is such a singular work, you run the risk of creating aCowboy Bebopfan and not ananimefan.
    What's wrong with that?
  • I, however, have found an unfourtunate conciquence to showing new prospective fans Cowboy Bebop. Because Cowboy Bebop is such a singular work, you run the risk of creating a Cowboy Bebop fan and not an anime fan.
    What's wrong with that?
    I agree that the world needs more Cowboy Bebop fans, but I would prefer that they be anime fans.
  • I agree that the world needs more Cowboy Bebop fans, but I would prefer that they be anime fans.
    So after they become Cowboy Bebop fans you do this. "Hey, remember I showed you that Cowboy Bebop and it was so awesome? I've got this other thing here called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex that's just as awesome, want to watch it?"
  • Finally got around to watching this. Words kind of fail me right now. All I can say is that it was definitely an experience. The first two movies have already exceeded any expectation I could have had. I await the US blu-ray release with baited breath.
  • I am watching Evangelion 2.22 *right now*. I will read this thread when I am finished.