This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Zeitgeist

edited May 2010 in Movies
I haven't watched this movie yet, but I hear it's very controversial. What do you think of this movie? Is it accurate? I don't want to watch a movie that will fill my head with inaccurate claims or conspiracies.

Comments

• I don't want to watch a movie that will fill my head with inaccurate claims or conspiracies.
    I never heard of this movie, but maybe you should just watch it and use your critical thinking and research skills to know what's right and what isn't.
  • I don't want to watch a movie that will fill my head with inaccurate claims or conspiracies.
    I never heard of this movie, but maybe you should just watch it and use your critical thinking and research skills to know what's right and what isn't.
    Yeah that's what I'll probably end up doing. It's just always nice hearing what others have to say on a movie like this. My main source of concern is supposedly it has some 9/11 conspiracy theories in it, and I'm always skeptical of sources for any topic like that.
  • I haven't watched it yet, but I heard about it on an episode of Skeptoid. After listening to that show, I'm not sure if I ever want to.
  • I haven't watched it yet, but I heard about it on an episode of Skeptoid. After listening to that show, I'm not sure if I ever want to.
    I'm going to definitely check that episode out. Whenever I hear any mention of conspiracy theories, I generally tend to think they're a bull shit way for unintelligent people to flaunt their "superiority" without actually demonstrating anything more than basic, and flawed, pattern recognition skills focused on the wrong areas. One example that South Park actually mocked is the arithmetic trick to arrive at a number that symbolizes something, and then assume all of it is somehow connected.
  • edited May 2010
    I haven't watched this movie yet, but I hear it's very controversial. What do you think of this movie? Is it accurate? I don't want to watch a movie that will fill my head with inaccurate claims or conspiracies.
    It's a Conspiracy theorist's wet dream. It's like the Da Vinci Code, mixed with loose change, with a big dash of "Holy shit the banks are out to get us new world order WOAAAAAH!"

It's worth it, if you want to watch it simply to observe the lunacy that is conspiracy theories, and you can recognise that it's all bullshit. If you're watching it as a documentary, or you're worried that it might fill your scone with nonsense, then give it a skip.

Edit - There are a few good episodes of penn and teller's Bullshit that deals with conspiracy theories.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I haven't watched this movie yet, but I hear it's very controversial. What do you think of this movie? Is it accurate? I don't want to watch a movie that will fill my head with inaccurate claims or conspiracies.
    It's a Conspiracy theorist's wet dream. It's like the Da Vinci Code, mixed with loose change, with a big dash of "Holy shit the banks are out to get us new world order WOAAAAAH!"

It's worth it, if you want to watch it simply to observe the lunacy that is conspiracy theories, and you can recognise that it's all bullshit. If you're watching it as a documentary, or you're worried that it might fill your scone with nonsense, then give it a skip.

Edit - There are a few good episodes of penn and teller's Bullshit that deals with conspiracy theories.
    I love Penn and Teller and that episode was awesome, except it terrifies me what people will believe based on essentially nothing and what they'll accept as evidence.
  • I love Penn and Teller and that episode was awesome, except it terrifies me what people will believe based on essentially nothing and what they'll accept as evidence.
    Most of them will accept just "Some guy told me" as absolute fact. I remember when my housemate's bassist - a conspiracy theorist as only an uneducated, anti-science, barely medicated paranoid schitzophrenic possible can be - He accepted, purely on someone on the internet's word, that the pyramids are in perfect condition, inside and outside, because of ley lines and pyramid power.
    See if you can spot the person who has never BEEN to the pyramids, or seen a close-up photo of them...
  • This movie is hardly controversial. It is simply one of the many countless silly, poorly constructed, rambling conspiracy movements out there, and is taken seriously only by the deranged and misguided. If you watch this movie, and you don't immediately recognize practically everything about it as crazy, you may have issues. ;^)
  • edited May 2010
    I love Penn and Teller and that episode was awesome, except it terrifies me what people will believe based on essentially nothing and what they'll accept as evidence.
    Most of them will accept just "Some guy told me" as absolute fact. I remember when my housemate's bassist - a conspiracy theorist as only an uneducated, anti-science, barely medicated paranoid schitzophrenic possible can be - He accepted, purely on someone on the internet's word, that the pyramids are in perfect condition, inside and outside, because of ley lines and pyramid power.
    See if you can spot the person who has never BEEN to the pyramids, or seen a close-up photo of them...
    Yeah, I know a guy who believed the Roswell conspiracy because of a night-time special that depicted the events of a "Scientist" who worked in Area 51, saw alien spacecraft technology, and then was almost assassinated for quiting the job. I also hate when people justify their beliefs based on their desires. I once knew a girl who swore Santa was real because there were some "noises coming from her roof" one year on Christmas night.
    This movie is hardly controversial. It is simply one of the many countless silly, poorly constructed, rambling conspiracy movements out there, and is taken seriously only by the deranged and misguided. If you watch this movie, and you don't immediately recognize practically everything about it as crazy, you may have issues. ;^)
    Oh awesome. I haven't even seen clips of it yet, but read an article online that described it as controversial. I at least thought maybe it'd have some compelling arguments or facts, but I guess not.
    Post edited by thehollow89 on
  • edited May 2010
    Skeptoid got an episode on the movie, though I do not claim that the research ends with listening to that either. Too lazy to watch or even consider watching a movie that has been panned by pretty much every skeptical thinker I heard mentioning it, which includes Brian Dunning, James Randi, many members of The Atheist Community of Austin and now Rym.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I saw this movie ages ago from some friends who like to believe in a ton of new agey things. I'm talking they believe in The Secret and that something will happen in 2012. They're good people but, bleh, really spacey.

Anyway, the whole thing is wharblgarble of the 10th degree. It's a ton of barely connected theories of how George Bush was connected with 9/11, how banks just want to keep everyone poor to keep themselves rich and how we'll all eventually willingly be put under the control of the government. Watch it for the nonsense and get some laughs.