This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

shopping near NYC

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
Where can I go in the greater NYC to buy stuff from Japan?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Japantown?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Kinokuniya bookstore is a worthwhile stop, and not hard to get to - it's between 40th and 41st street on 6th avenue.
  • What about clothing?
  • What about clothing?
    You realize there is an invention called Yelp, right? Use that.
  • an invention called Yelp
    What this?
  • How about an invention called Google?
  • There is also a thing called 'word of mouth'.

When I started this thread I was out with my daughter and using my phone to browse the web. Yelp and google were a start but I find google to be nearly useless for some searches because SEO spammers have ruined google search results for some searches.
  • I was responding to IijanGin with that post. Sorry if I wasn't quite clear enough.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, for starters Chopsticks NYC has a pretty comprehensive list of notable Japanese businesses in NY. You got your food, your books, and your clothing.

There is a kimono shop on Spring and Thompson, in the west village, Soho area, right near this good home-cooking Japan restaurant named Hiroko's Place (Thompson, between Spring and Broome.) Kimonos are super expensive, though, so I would also recommend you check out UNIQLO (Broadway bet. Prince & Spring St.) and Muji (Broadway bet. Grand and Howard Streets) for modern Japanese clothing and hipster manga shirts.
    If you are looking for books, go up to the Bryant Park Kinokuniya, or for cheaper, used fare check out Book Off's new location at 45th st bet. 5th and 6th Aves. (That is really near the Kinokuniya, btw.)
    Saint Marks and Stuyvesant have the bestest Japanese food, and there are also some good places near Grand Central, midtown area. Sushi train is 3rd Ave. near 26? I think? Dunno. Look in the Chopsticks NYC site to find out what you want to do.
    Japantown?
    We don't have that here, sadly. Saint Marks area is probably the closest, but I don't think it qualifies. We have a ton of Korean and Chinese neighborhoods though. Japanese expats. and business owners tend to be more spread out.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Thanks gomi, those two links are very helpful.

I am planning on taking her down next weekend, may do an overnighter in the city.
  • Japantown?
    We don't have that here, sadly. Saint Marks area is probably the closest, but I don't think it qualifies. We have a ton of Korean and Chinese neighborhoods though. Japanese expats. and business owners tend to be more spread out.
    Aww, I just kind of assumed, since LA and SF have them and NYC usually has everything.
  • edited May 2010
    California has a bigger Asian population, so that makes sense that they would have bigger Japanese neighborhoods.

Edit: Also, check out the Mitsuwa Plaza in Edgewater, NJ. It's not officially NYC, but it is in the metropolitan area, and you can get there by bus out of Penn Station.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Edit: Also, check out theMitsuwa Plazain Edgewater, NJ. It's not officially NYC, but it is in the metropolitan area, and you can get there by bus out of Penn Station.
    Yes, but that would mean that he would have to enter the Dirty Empire.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, but that would mean that he would have to enter the Dirty Empire.
    I thought that store was on the other side of town from Mitsuwa plaza.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think my Allergist mentioned some place in NJ where she goes to buy anime related stuff. Mitsuwa Plaza may be the place...

She is also looking for a source of J-pop/Techno music (the kind you get on DDR).
  • She is also looking for a source of J-pop/Techno music (the kind you get on DDR).
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
  • edited June 2010
    She is also looking for a source of J-pop/Techno music (the kind you get on DDR).
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
    That works. What about local shops?

She is also interested in watching a 'band' anime. The only one I know is Nana and she's not old enough for that.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • She is also interested in watching a 'band' anime. The only one I know is Nana and she's not old enough for that.
    BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad is the best one of those I've seen. It's one of those shows that you're better off watching the dub of. The voice acting's alright, but they did a really good job with the music. The manga is worth reading too if she's into that kind of thing too.
  • She is also interested in watching a 'band' anime. The only one I know is Nana and she's not old enough for that.
    DMC
    BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad is the best one of those I've seen. It's one of those shows that you're better off watching the dub of. The voice acting's alright, but they did areallygood job with the music. The manga is worth reading too if she's into that kind of thing too.
    I very much doubt that MCS would be appropriate either.
  • FLCL. Don't bitch out either. Show her Brittle Bullet.
  • She's a kid, guys. There are a ton of manga aimed at elementary school girls like "Full Moon wo Sagashite" and "Kodocha" that feature singers and/or bands. I'll try to think of more later. To be honest, K'On might be good. It's kind of a moe show, but one of the more innocent variety, so a kid can watch it and it doesn't deal with sex and pregnancy and stuff like Nana does. It's mostly just "girl does cute thing."

Also, Kinokuniya and the Book places in the Mitsuwa plaza should have CDs and DVDs. Book Off even has JPop CDs for a dollar a pop.
  • DMC is fun for the whole family. /totallynotsarcasm
  • edited June 2010
    I fully believe that no person is ready for life before hearing the Ten Rape Per Second Yell of Krauser II.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • "Full Moon wo Sagashite"
    I've heard this is like, one of the worst things ever. Like, not because of moe bullshit, but just being BAD.
  • Never seen it, but I've known people who like it. It's meant for 4th graders, and I am very doubtful it is a work of great depth, but maybe she might like it.
  • Man, Tick is seriously one of the best Dads of all time. ALL TIME.
    Spoon.
    Spoon.
    The Tick is amazing. Plus...a Monkee plays Arthur!!
  • We ended up going to the Kino book store in West Nyak (everything was half off) and the big food store in NJ Mitsu whatever. (posting from iPod so excuse the brevity).

Had a great time and spent too much money. Still need info on a good source for Kimonos in the area.