This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help! Static noise from computer speakers drive me crazy

edited May 2010 in Technology
I got a brand new pair of speakers but when they aren't in use they make this awfully loud and obnoxious static noise and I dont know how to make it stop. It constantly makes this noise and doesnt seem to be based on interferences from my phone or anything. What can I do?

Comments

• If there's no obvious source of interference, either your sound card or your speakers are at fault.
  • The sound card is one of those integrated in the motherboard. Are those generally lower quality?
  • edited May 2010
    There's a lot of variance. In my experience, the integrated sound in newer motherboards is a lot better, but older motherboards used to be static-y.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Have you tried plugging in an mp3 player or something similar?
  • If the speakers are powered then the cause is probably a difference in the ground between the speakers and computer. Try plugging the speakers into the same outlet as the computer or using them on batteries (if that is even possible).
  • Only my front panel hookups do this with my headphones. Anyone know why?
  • Clearly something interferes with the connection to the front panel but not the back panel.
  • Clearly something interferes with the connection to the front panel but not the back panel.
    That's what I assumed, but I can't find the cause of the interference. Grr.
    That's what I assumed, but I can't find the cause of the interference. Grr.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you go buy a snap on ferrite core, you should be able to use that to reduce interference. They are fairly cheap.
  • Turn off your speakers when you aren't using them, maybe?
  • Ok... Has anyone else ever gotten a radio station to come over their PC speakers? I get Radio Disney to randomly come out of my speakers every afternoon. It's fucking annoying to say the least. It's loud enough to be heard and understood, but quiet enough so I'm not willing to unhook my speakers every day. I think it has something to do with being close (under a mile) from their broadcast tower.
  • Ok... Has anyone else ever gotten a radio station to come over their PC speakers? I get Radio Disney to randomly come out of my speakers every afternoon. It's fucking annoying to say the least. It's loud enough to be heard and understood, but quiet enough so I'm not willing to unhook my speakers every day. I think it has something to do with being close (under a mile) from their broadcast tower.
    They broadcast on the AM and at a fairly high wattage, so, yeah, that would explain it.
  • They broadcast on the AM and at a fairly high wattage, so, yeah, that would explain it.
    Why do you know this much about Radio Disney???
  • If the static noise is from interference, how would you stop it?
  • If the static noise is from interference, how would you stop it?
    Shielding or better speakers.
  • They broadcast on the AM and at a fairly high wattage, so, yeah, that would explain it.
    Why do you know this much about Radio Disney???
    My goal is to start a radio station. Do you really think I didn't do a complete AM/FM scan of my area?
  • How long is the speaker cable? Longer cables will weaken the signal coming out of your source so it will be more susceptible to interference.

Also is the cable shielded at all? Even better quality computer speakers usually come with useless cables.

If it is a very long cable coiling it up essentially makes it an antenna...

www.monoprice.com for some really good deals on any kind of cables you may need. If you do notice a lot of interference you may want to pick up something that is heavily shielded. Their prices are very reasonable.
  • Obviously the solution is to buy some Monster cables.
  • On that note, are you doing most of the amplification at the computer end or the speaker end?
  • On that note, are you doing most of the amplification at the computer end or the speaker end?
    Ah yes, the age old quandary of the PC amplifiers in series. Even the Mac is plagued with this dilemma. An amplifier in the speakers, an amplifier in the in the sound card, and perhaps even a digital software amplifier. Which to set high? Which to set low?
  • edited June 2010
    You usually want to do most of the amplification with the best amplifier; In my case, my external soundcard. In this case, having the signal amplified before sending it over the wire to the speakers means, when you pick up the interference, you aren't then amplifying it at the speaker/amp.

You may also have to compensate for programs* which may send things much to quiet.

*iTunes.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Monster Cable can suck it. You can buy cables of equal quality from:

Blue Jeans Cable
    Monoprice

for a tenth of the price.
    That was the joke.
    That was the joke.
    He's probably not in the know about this long running joke in the forum. Nor could it easily be seen that Andrew was being sarcastic. =P
  • edited June 2010
    You can buy cables of equal quality from
    None of these cables have Dual "balanced" conductors plus foil shield to deliver wider dynamic range and more natural music reproduction with lower noise.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    edited June 2010
    He's probably not in the know about this long running joke in the forum.
    It's not bound to these forums at all.
    Nor could it easily be seen that Andrew was being sarcastic. =P
    Oh yes it could. It was stupidly obvious.
    Post edited by ... on
  • The interference could likely be from your cell phone. I have noticed that mine will create a static noise if it's too close to a tv or computer speakers when I am getting a text message or using it tethered. If it is your phone the easiest fix is just to keep it farther away. The main thing is finding what the interference is and then go from there.
    That was the joke.
    He's probably not in the know about this long running joke in the forum. Nor could it easily be seen that Andrew was being sarcastic. =P
    The pricing of Monster Cable cables have been a long running joke on the internet for a couple years now.
  • My guess would be a grounding issue with your computer. Did you try hooking your speakers up to an ipod or some other device to see if you still get the noise?
  • He's probably not in the know about this long running joke in the forum. Nor could it easily be seen that Andrew was being sarcastic. =P
    I listen to the show, I know all about the awesome monster cables.

Anyway, about the different amplifications, do you mean turning the volume up through volume control on the windows taskbar versus turning the knob on the speaker itself? I'll also try plugging it into something else to see if its any better. I dont want to buy anything yet until I know for sure I need it.