This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spiel des Jahres 2010 Nominees

edited June 2010 in Board Games
The nominees for the 2010 Spiel des Jahres have been announced!
  • A la Carte, by Karl-Heinz Schmiel (Moskito/Heidelberger)
  • Dixit, by Jean-Louis Roubira (Libellud)
  • Fresko, by Marco Ruskowski and Marcel Süßelbeck (Queen Games)
  • Identik, by William P. Jacobson and Amanda A. Kohout (Asmodee)
  • Im Wandel der Zeiten – Das Würfelspiel, by Matt Leacock (Pegasus Spiele) – which is published in the U.S. as Roll Through the Ages, by FRED Distribution

Comments

• Wow, never heard of any of these. Will have to check them out.
  • edited June 2010
    I just realized.

Your nickname is El-ahrairah's sidekick from Watership Down.
    Yes it is! :) Amazing book, and fantastic cartoon, too.

Apreche, the only one I've heard of is Roll Through the Ages, which I've never played either, but did download onto my iPhone this week with the intention of playing it (that and Zooloretto after listening to your last show). And truth be told, I'm rooting for Matt Leacock regardless, because he rocks:

Post edited by Rabscuttle on
  • A La Carte looks fun.

• Dixit looks fucking amazing.
  • Im Wandel der Zeiten isn't Roll Through the Ages, it's just "Through the Ages." I own that game. I'm the only one who likes it. IIRC, It was originally Civilization (as in Sid Meier) the board game, but they lost the license and made the game without it. There's also a fix pack for the game which is some stickers and pieces that fix some production errors. I don't have the fix, despite trying to get it, and even getting e-mails from the people who make it.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't know, dude... Matt's pretty convinced he's been nominated. Or at least, graciously accepted congratulations if not. ;)

PS - OMG, little pans and a cardboard stove?! I'm IN for A la Carte!
    Post edited by Rabscuttle on
  • I don't know, dude... Matt's pretty convinced he's been nominated. Or at least, graciously accepted congratulations if not. ;)
    Sorry, I was wrong. Roll Through the Ages is an expansion for Through the Ages.
  • I don't know, dude... Matt's pretty convinced he's been nominated. Or at least, graciously accepted congratulations if not. ;)
    Sorry, I was wrong. Roll Through the Ages is an expansion for Through the Ages.
    No, they're completely separate games. The publisher (FRED Distribution) gave the dice game the "Roll Through the Ages" title to try to capitalize on the popularity (well, among hardcore boardgamers, anyway) of Through the Ages, but there is no real connection between the two games other than the civ-building theme.

By the way, Roll Through the Ages was just recently released as an iPhone app, and it's not bad. A little pricey at $4.99, though.
  • No, they're completely separate games.
    VERY interesting.
  • Well, if it has resulted in this much confusion, it may not have been a good title to go with!

It's like when I tell people I love Dawn of the Dead. Nooo, not THAT one, you whippersnapper, the original! (though the remake wasn't bad). Or Willy Wonka...
  • Dixitlooks fucking amazing.
    I just realized this was posted here.

I actually saw this game a few weeks back at the game store and was intrigued by the images on the back. I really didn't research anything about it, but knew it looked like it was worth buying.

I went back to the local game store and purchased it today. Too bad it's 3 player and I can't play it tonight. I then read the instructions and looked at the game pieces. Holy crap this game looks awesome. I can see why it won so many awards and is nominated for Spiel de Jahres.

It also has wooden bunnies for game pieces!

After reading the directions, it reminds me a bit of Apples to Apples with Big Idea. The art on the cards are amazing. I keep trying to think what I would say to each card if I were playing them. It seems like a good game to play with people who have good imaginations. Definitely something for the FRC, imo.
  • Bought Roll Through the Ages for the iPhone. Game itself is well done but very underwhelmed by the fact that you don't get any AI to play against for a $4.99 price tag. I don't mind paying a few bucks for a mobile version of a board game, because I see it as a great way to make sure I am playing properly in real life and haven't overlooked any rules. I expect full service from a $4.99-er though! It succeeded in making me want to buy the real game though.
  • Dixit sound like Munchausen meets AtA. I'd be in. A la Carte looks like a blast.
  • I've been so busy lately. I've been unable to stay on top of the boardgame world. These games are all unknown to me.
  • The wife is really into push-your-luck mechanic mainstream dice games such as Yahtzee and Pass the Pigs, and I got her to sit down and play Roll Through the Ages yesterday. As I expected, it was right in her wheelhouse, and she loved it.

Saw someone had Dixit at NerdNYC Recess on Saturday but I didn't have a chance to check it out. Seems like a natural buy as pretty much everyone I know has been introducted to Apples to Apples, and would probably play this one as well.
  • I just got the Dixit 2 expansion set. Even though I can't play it yet, I looked at the cards. I couldn't help it. I was too curious. Yep. 84 cards of awesome art and wonderment.
  • I went to my local game store this last Saturday and tried out Dixit from their lending library with a couple of friends. I can see why it won. I picked it up along with the Dixit 2 expansion and 6 of us played through all the cards that night. It's a lot of fun, especially since some of the art is ridiculous. I'd highly recommend it.