This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

18910111214»

Comments

• Naoza said:

Less aggressive gears? Like more oiled?

Lower ratio. Smaller in the front, larger in the back. Pedal more for speed/ground traveled, but require less muscle and strain.
  • Apreche said:

If you have a hard time getting up the hill, the problem isn't going to be solved by spending a few thousand dollars to save a couple kilograms. Lose weight. Increase leg strength. Use gears properly.

This is the hard truth. A lighter bike only helps you:

1. Racing
    2. Over very long distances
    3. Carrying your bike in your hands

• Naoza said:

Less aggressive gears? Like more oiled?

Like a numerically higher ratio so you have more mechanical advantage.
  • edited September 2016
    This is more or less the bike I have. I don't see a weight on it.

It's fine the way it is but I was just wondering if it would have a significant impact on that sort of performance.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

This is more or less the bike I have. I don't see a weight on it.

It's fine the way it is but I was just wondering if it would have a significant impact on that sort of performance.

That bike is fine. If you aren't in a race, or your leg isn't broken, that has a crazy low gear that can get you up any hill I've seen in Seattle.
  • I was mountain biking in Utah this past weekend. I had a 1x11 cassette: 1 small gear in the front, 11 largeish ones in the back.

In my lowest gear, the rear one was larger than the front one. I could climb a 50% grade at a constant, albeit slow, rate without straining.
  • edited September 2016
    Oh, were you biking the Wasatch Front or were you down in South Utah?
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2016
    I was in Park City. The hardest run I did was John's Trail (steep, covered in rocks, narrow, technical). Lots of fun on SMG and Spiro. Took the Cascade Lift up for all of my runs. Had a super fancy all-carbon full suspension bike with hydraulic disc brakes.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Park City: the center of yuppyville.
  • Rym said:

a 1x11 cassette: 1 small gear in the front, 11 largeish ones in the back.

In my lowest gear, the rear one was larger than the front one.

This sounds hilarious. You didn't happen to take any pictures of it, did you?
  • edited November 2016
    SkunkLock - A clever way to deter bike thieves.

Or for pranking. Your pick.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Starfox said:

Rym said:

a 1x11 cassette: 1 small gear in the front, 11 largeish ones in the back.

In my lowest gear, the rear one was larger than the front one.

This sounds hilarious. You didn't happen to take any pictures of it, did you?
    Almost identical to this bike:

• Everything you need to know.