This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

Comments

• Bike was stolen. In broad daylight. On a crowded street in midtown. In front of a bank. With large windows and tellers looking directly at it through said large windows. In front of thee police officers who were 80 feet away. In a span of less than ten minutes from when I locked it. Cops said it was probably a professional bike stealing ring... I don't know if I'll bother getting another nice street bike at this point.
    Rym, next time use this a deterrent.

Possibly NSFW.
  • Bike get! Again!

Trek FX 7.6

I actually bought the 2011 model on sale; there is little different that matters. I downsized to a 20" frame (from 22.5").

The main things this bike has over my previous (stolen) one (that I actually notice or care about) are:

1. Carbon fiber fork

Having test ridden carbon fiber fork versus aluminum fork, the difference in handling is actually noticeable. The weight balance is way different.

2. More aggressive posture

It's one step away from going full road bike, but maintains the hybrid layout. If I want to race, I'll rent a real road bike.

3. Narrower tires

These are some serious tires.

4. Fucking awesome seat and post

It swivels laterally. I was very surprised at how much of a different this makes.
  • Can you get insurance against theft?
  • RymRym
    edited September 2011
    Can you get insurance against theft?
    Renter's insurance covers it.

Also, this bike is purely for recreation. I'll never ride it anywhere I can't bring it inside with me. Only the only mountain bike gets locked up outside.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym, you need to travel down here to Geogia and do some mountain biking. It's hard to beat the Georgia Country.
  • Did I understand this right, you got your bike stolen again Rym? Was it the crappy one or the brand new hybrid?
    On another note, that Trek is one good looking bike man.
  • Yes, that was mentioned earlier in the Fail of Your Day. It was the nice one he bought last year. We locked it up for no less than 10 minutes, and someone with bolt cutters nabbed it.
    There were police officers visible, and tons of people watching, but no-one noticed. It was really annoying.
  • Yes, that was mentioned earlier in the Fail of Your Day. It was the nice one he bought last year. We locked it up for no less than 10 minutes, and someone with bolt cutters nabbed it.
    There were police officers visible, and tons of people watching, but no-one noticed. It was really annoying.
    Didn't he have a u-lock?
  • that Trek is one good looking bike man.
    Until I moved to New York, I never really used road bikes or hybrids, so I didn't really know what I needed. I also didn't have the right muscles together. Mountain biking involves a lot more standing up, hard shifting, etc..., but not so much of the steady pedaling.

Now, having ridden in the City for a while, I know what I need. The previous hybrid Trek was great, but it was a bit too big. Downsizing the frame will make a big difference in my speed. The new model is also much more aggressive, which, considering that I tend to ride hard for mid-range recreational rides (30ish miles), will improve my performance at minimal cost to comfort.

I'm most excited about the balance. The weight distribution feels way different from anything I've ever ridden.
    Didn't he have a u-lock?
    No, he had a shitty tiny cable lock.
  • edited September 2011
    Yes, that was mentioned earlier in the Fail of Your Day. It was the nice one he bought last year. We locked it up for no less than 10 minutes, and someone with bolt cutters nabbed it.
    Didn't he have a u-lock?
    No, he had a shitty tiny cable lock.
    Ah.

Rym, do you plan on using clip shoes with those pedals?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym, do you plan on using clip shoes with those pedals?
    Of course. But I've rarely used such things in the past, so there's some training/learning that's required. I'm going to be using toe clips over regular shoes this year, and probably swap out to clipless pedals in the spring.
  • edited September 2011
    Get some of those badass dress shoes with Shimano cleats hidden in the sole.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • No, he had a shitty tiny cable lock.
    It wasn't that thin, it was actually decent for a cable lock. Also, U locks are not very good protection either, I hear.
  • No, he had a shitty tiny cable lock.
    It wasn't that thin, it was actually decent for a cable lock. Also, U locks are not very good protection either, I hear.
    Nothing is, but you just have to have a bigger and scarier lock than the other bikes nearby.
  • Just do what they do in movies. You know, when a guy with a nice car goes into "the ghetto". Find a street child, pay them a dollar to watch your bike.
  • edited September 2011
    It's sort of a (Niceness of Bike)/(Scariness of Lock)=% Chance of Bike Stealing
    Just do what they do in movies. You know, when a guy with a nice car goes into "the ghetto". Find a street child, pay them a dollar to watch your bike.
    You don't "find a street child" in Midtown. It's not the ghetto, and even if it was, you have to know the area to do something like that.
    My Uncle who lived in the Mission District of San Francisco would pay the guys who hung out at the bodega that he knew not to let people break into our car when we visited.
    He did not live in the nicest neighborhood. There was a murder in the stairwell of his building and stuff.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Just do what they do in movies. You know, when a guy with a nice car goes into "the ghetto". Find a street child, pay them a dollar to watch your bike.
    Yeah, right. New York has the highest bike theft rates in the country. They're stolen in broad daylight in crowds. There aren't "street children" hanging around the commerce centers at 59th street, just tens of thousands of people walking by constantly. No one even notices if someone's clipping bikes down the street.

You have a real bike for serious riding and a shit bike for locking up outside anywhere.
    Yeah, right. New York has the highest bike theft rates in the country. They're stolen in broad daylight in crowds. There aren't "street children" hanging around the commerce centers at 59th street, just tens of thousands of people walking by constantly. No one even notices if someone's clipping bikes down the street.

You have a real bike for serious riding and a shit bike for locking up outside anywhere.
    Then just either make your own street child or buy one for bike guarding purposes.
    Sorry I the forum is to extensive to read it all. A fucking shame though.
    Get some of those badass dress shoes with Shimano cleats hidden in the sole.
    I have plans to get the Shimano tennis shoes that have the clips, those are good enough for my workplace.
    On another note I keep my crappy bike on the tiny cable lock, I hope nothing happens to it, my city seems more secure then New York for that purpose.
  • edited September 2011
    Hide a slug of thermite with a remote trigger in the frame. If a thief steals your bike, ignite the charge. It'll ruin the frame, cause a massive scene, and the thief will likely be arrested.

Be sure to include a sticker somewhere on the bike that says, "WARNING: In the event of theft, this bike will melt."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You could probably set that up. Use the lock as a circut. If the circut is broken with out entering a code or something then bam. Thermite goes off.
  • You could probably set that up. Use the lock as a circut. If the circut is broken with out entering a code or something then bam. Thermite goes off.
    I wouldn't do that just because if you need to cut your own lock for some reason and the keypad is broken, you'll ruin your own bike. A remote trigger ensures that you decide when to melt the bike.
  • But then you need to be watcing your bike at all times. I mean what is the radius of your remote??
  • Use a cell phone for the trigger. Text a passphrase to the number, bike melts.
  • edited September 2011
    I like my idea modified a bit. Rym you must acquire a baby. Next acquire chains that can hold said baby. Now chain the baby to the bike.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • It'll help you in road racing, too. Bike not aerodynamic without baby.
  • New from Dave and Joel inc.
    Hanabi! Combo baby bomb bike lock. Now at Walmart.
  • The bike arrived. I shall pick it up and ride it home. ph33r.
  • Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh.