This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

Comments

• If you are not comfortable on a bike then one or more of the following is true:

1) You are sitting wrong
    2) The seat is crappy
    3) The bike is the wrong size for you
    4) The seat height is wrong
    5) It's a super fancy road bike and you aren't wearing the silly pants
    6) You have been sitting on it for a very long ride and don't have the silly pants

Can't think of any others right now.
  • This is the bike I bought to cycle around New York:

Really great value, and all the things that Scott thinks a bike should have. Comfortable? Nope! Got me around New York more quickly than using the metro? Always!

Would I want this as my bike in Berlin? Never!
  • My bike is more "aggressive" than Emily's. Largely, this means it's less comfortable. ;^)
    Cars work the same way. :P
  • You must be unwilling to read what I write, or something. I find hub gears more comfortable than derailleur gears. Even if everything else about the bike was the same, the comfort levels of hub gears are greater, for me. I've ridden many of both types of bike. When buying my new bike I tested both types of the same bike. I chose the one I found more comfortable. The cost was slightly higher, admittedly, but it was worth it for the comfort. The weight was higher, very slightly, but the quicker gear changing of the hub gear bike provided more comfortable acceleration, even if slightly less efficient.

Go back and read what I wrote. Comfort isn't all about seats.
  • Scott is a bike evangelist now, but he used to not care. He has all the zealotry of a convert.
  • Scott is a bike evangelist now, but he used to not care. He has all the zealotry of a convert.
    You would think so, but not. True bike zealot converts follow all of "the rules."

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • Rumor: Scott invented the modern bike.
  • Scott's Rules #471: All bikes were invented by, and thus must conform to the specifications of, the Rubin.
  • So what have we learned today, children? That Scott likes arguing with himself about things he doesn't understand about other people.
  • So what have we learned today, children? That Scott likes arguing with himself about things he doesn't understand about other people.
    We've learned that even if you are aware of confirmation bias and the Mere-exposure effect, they will still make you their victim. Even smart people will put things like "feelings" and "preferences" ahead of facts.

Personally, I like to change my preference to match whatever is the most superior. It really helps when this kind of thing happens.
  • Just do what I did and get a used, 40 dollar rustbucket mountain bike that finds a new way to fall apart every 14 miles. It will teach you how to fix a bike, and on long trips you'll never be bored for worrying about all the scary squeaking and creaking it does.
  • If I had space, I'd keep two bikes: a beater for normal riding and my nice hybrid for recreational/commute riding.

Since I only have space for one bike, I signed up for Citibike.
  • If I had room for two bikes I would also get a bike so cheap I didn't care if it got stolen. It still wouldn't have hub gears or roller brakes.

If there were a Citibike rack near me, I would sign up for that instead. That's the only time you would catch me with hub gears or step throughs.

I wish citibike would have better bikes available. I'd pay twice as much if it meant I could get a quality bike. It should be the same way that rent-a-car companies let you pay more to get a Benz.
  • Well, roller brakes as the sole braking system are sometimes illegal in New York City (they can't stop in a straight line in short enough distance in many cases).
  • I think I will get a nice hybrid soon. I would really like to do some long-distance riding between semesters.
  • If I had space, I'd keep two bikes: a beater for normal riding and my nice hybrid for recreational/commute riding.

Since I only have space for one bike, I signed up for Citibike.
    What exactly is the difference between normal riding and commute riding?
  • edited June 2013
    Everywhere but work? I think he can store his nice bike at his office where it won't get stolen, which isn't the case for trap houses and peepshows.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Commute is usually straight to work, which might be a while away. You can usually bring your bike in and store it in the building. Normal riding is like...
    Everywhere but work?
    that, maybe to the store where you lock it up outside. Or just leave it unlocked if it's truly a POS.
  • Commuting, I can leave the bike in the office. Recreational biking, I bike for 6 hours without really stopping or leaving my bike at any point.

Normal biking is, say, going to the store or out to a bar.
    We've learned that even if you are aware of confirmation bias and the Mere-exposure effect, they will still make you their victim. Even smart people will put things like "feelings" and "preferences" ahead of facts.
    Provide some facts and you might have a point. You've backed up your arguments with jack and shit. My position is that different bikes are better for different people and for different reasons, and I acknowledge that in your situation, your choice is probably correct. You're doing yourself no favors!
  • I use a $120 walmart bike with dual suspension and I've stuck a car stereo on it.
    You forgot the Engineer's fallacy. Or was that Folly, I can never remember.
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
    Ahahaha, they Quote the Chopper skit from the Ronnie Johns Half hour. Good work, Lycra Clad danger junkies. But yeah, Serious Racers do tend to follow those sorts of rules, I've observed.
    What exactly is the difference between normal riding and commute riding?
    Personally, I'd say that if you're riding to a destination only, say work, or the store, etc, etc and the riding is just transport between point A and B, then that's commute riding. If you're riding for riding's sake, or riding somewhere for fun, then that's normal riding.
  • I'm gonna buy that Vanmoof just to see the size of Scott's hateboner when it works just fine for City Riding in Chicago.

Glorious European City Bike Master Race
  • edited June 2013
    I'm gonna buy that Vanmoof just to see the size of Scott's hateboner when it works just fine for City Riding in Chicago.
    But, but, but... you are doing it WRONG!!!!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • And Scott has the statistics about the best bike for Chicago!
  • Alright lads, ease up. For all of the arse-backward way he went about it, he was trying to help. It's all over but the insurance paperwork now and we've all got our licks in, so let's leave it off.
  • I'm gonna buy that Vanmoof just to see the size of Scott's hateboner when it works just fine for City Riding in Chicago.

Glorious European City Bike Master Race
    A tricycle would work "just fine." If you wanted to, you could commute in NYC by horse. Old shitty technologies can still get jobs done. They're just way less efficient than what we have available. What next, going to forego smartphones for an Apple Newton?
  • edited June 2013
    A tricycle would work "just fine." If you wanted to, you could commute in NYC by horse. Old shitty technologies can still get jobs done. They're just way less efficient than what we have available. What next, going to forego smartphones for an Apple Newton?
    Okay, I spoke too soon.

Anyway, You tell us, you're the one using the old, shitty technology.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Could I have the numbers on "way less efficient"? I'm not kidding. I'd really like to see how much energy I'm using compared to a derailleur version of the same bike.
  • Could I have the numbers on "way less efficient"? I'm not kidding. I'd really like to see how much energy I'm using compared to a derailleur version of the same bike.
    I actually found a paper on this! Let's read it together.

http://ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp52-2001.pdf

"The mechanical efficiency of bicycle derailleur and hub-gear transmissions" Chester Kyle and Frank Berto - page 3