This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do all of you think of the Zune?

edited June 2010 in Technology
I know iPod is the de-facto standard these days and I own a 5G one along with an iPhone but if I buy a Windows Phone 7 next year, I'm thinking of getting a Zune to go with it. I just wonder what the general feeling is around here about them.

Comments

• I don't have a Zune, but I do have some questions: If you're going to get a WinPhone7 handset, why would you want to go chunk down cash on a Zune as well? WP7 is supposed to have built-in Zune capability, so why buy another piece of tech to carry around that duplicates the features in a piece of tech you already have? I can understand having both an iPod and an iPhone if you bought the iPod and then later upgraded your phone to an iPhone, but why duplicate the current situation?
  • I think that it's fitting that they released it in brown. :P
  • Yeah, there's no reason to have an iPhone AND iPod or Windows 7 phone AND Zune. The iPhone IS an iPod. The Windows 7 phone IS a Zune. The whole point is that you can carry one less thing around with you. That's the primary reason I stick with the iPhone despite AT&T's crap and Apple's evil is so that I don't have to go buy an iPod nano. All the other phones suck ass at media.
  • IMHO it's a worthless piece of electronic junk. There are better, cheaper devices that do more. Namely any of them.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, there's no reason to have an iPhone AND iPod or Windows 7 phone AND Zune. The iPhone IS an iPod. The Windows 7 phone IS a Zune. The whole point is that you can carry one less thing around with you. That's the primary reason I stick with the iPhone despite AT&T;'s crap and Apple's evil is so that I don't have to go buy an iPod nano. All the other phones suck ass at media.
    See, I'm not so worried about the first point - I'm used to carrying far more and heavier than that for longer in the first place. But the second point is spot on - love it or hate it, the iPhone does media really, really well.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • IMHO it's a worthless piece of electronic junk. There are better, cheaper devices that do more. Namely any of them.
    Have you ever used a Zune? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If you don't have a smart phone that already has a media player in it, the Zune HD is actually pretty freakin' amazing. If you're interested in watching video, I would definitely pick that over the iPod.
  • The idea is to a have another device that can hold my whole media library, which is good for long trips. The Win7 phone would be my everyday device but I have over 40gb of music and there's also audiobooks to think about. I want to avoid being on a plane and feeling like listening to a song that's on the computer at home out of reach.
  • edited June 2010
    IMHO it's a worthless piece of electronic junk. There are better, cheaper devices that do more. Namely any of them.
    Have you ever used a Zune? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If you don't have a smart phone that already has a media player in it, the Zune HD is actually pretty freakin' amazing. If you're interested in watching video, I would definitely pick that over the iPod.
    Every place that I've been that has advertised or tried to sell me a Zune talks about how awesome it is to be able to share music and videos, but only with other people who own a Zune. That's all I ever here anyone talk about, ever. They made it sound like a fancy social-networking toy. Hence my low opinion.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited June 2010
    Every place that I've been that has advertised or tried to sell me a Zune talks about how awesome it is to be able to share music and videos, but only with other people who own a Zune. That's all I ever here anyone talk about, ever. They made it sound like a fancy social-networking toy. Hence my low opinion.
    So you admit you've never touched one. Yes, the original Zune had some dorky sharing feature. It's also a complete portable media player. The Zune HD is even more than that.
    The idea is to a have another device that can hold my whole media library, which is good for long trips. The Win7 phone would be my everyday device but I have over 40gb of music and there's also audiobooks to think about. I want to avoid being on a plane and feeling like listening to a song that's on the computer at home out of reach.
    Gerald from AWO recently said something similar. He has an iPhone AND an iPod because he has some need to carry around multiple gigs of media with him. This, frankly, is completely moronic. How about you manage some fucking playlists. My iPhone is 16GB. That is enough to hold an entire 26 episode anime series with room to spare. I think I might actually be able to get two whole series on there. In terms of music, it's insane. If my math is correct, 16 gigabytes is enough to hold 1367 MP3s at 320kbps that are each 5 minutes long. That's 6835 minutes, 113 hours, of audio. Even if you are going on a long trip, there is no way you are going to listen to more than 113 hours of audio, and you will have no chance at any point to resync or anything. Audio books are long, but they are far less than 320kbps, so they actually buy you even more time.

Unless you're an iPod DJ, there is absolutely no need to have a separate player in addition to a smart phone. You are not going to listen to all that music. 75% of it is just taking up space and never being listened to, ever. Take five minutes, make a few clicks, and manage your music and your playlists. Then you can save a bunch of money because you won't have to buy an entire separate gadget, and you can free up a pocket.

This doesn't even include the fact that if you have a smartphone you can rock Pandora/Last.fm, etc.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, there's no reason to have an iPhone AND iPod or Windows 7 phone AND Zune.
    I agree. For what it's worth though, my brother is pretty happy with his Zune.
  • Unless you're an iPod DJ, there is absolutely no need to have a separate player in addition to a smart phone.
    When I go on trips I take an iPhone plus an iPod Touch. If I read books on the iPhone, the constant-on screen runs down the battery something rotten. The iPod Touch is perfect for reading on long flights, then switch to iPhone for listening to books or music or podcasts when I arrive.
  • edited June 2010
    I tend to like to have a backup mp3 player for times when I am camping (or just away from easy power) and I don't want my cellphone to run out of battery because I was listening to music.... (convergence devices are all well and good until you run out of juice because of one aspect and need the other).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited June 2010
    @Luke: Why not get a Juicepack? Sheer decadence.

Though I can see why you'd want the iPad.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @Luke: Why not get a Juicepack? Sheer decadence.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • @Luke: Why not get a Juicepack? Sheer decadence.
    My thoughts exactly.
    How much do your monitor and chair cost again? Oh, and that keyboard?
  • How much do your monitor and chair cost again? Oh, and that keyboard?
    Yeah, but I use them and they aren't redundant. It's not like I have three keyboards on my desk for no reason.
  • It's not like I have three keyboards on my desk for no reason.
    Well, you gotta have your everyday keyboard, the fancy keyboard for when company comes over....
  • @Scott: You both paid a lot more than usual for a somewhat improved experience and I'm sure Luke gets plenty of use out of the touch.

Though, thinking about it. Not only two of something, but two Apple products has gotta cost.
  • edited June 2010
    @Scott: You both paid a lot more than usual for a somewhat improved experience and I'm sure Luke gets plenty of use out of the touch.
    You are vastly underestimating the experience. It's not somewhat improved. It's vastly improved. Also, desk chair and keyboard are things I use for multiple hours every single day of my life. Though the ones I have are relatively expensive, they will last for many many years. I'll probably have the chair my entire life. My previous chair, that was 1/10th the price, fell apart. This chair will definitely last more than ten times as long. Previous keyboards lasted but a few years. My Happy Hacking keyboards haven't been replaced yet, and I've had the same ones so far for over 5 years.
  • Don't mind me if I'm skeptical. Anyway, the point still stands.
  • I'm not sure I can even remember a time when a keyboard actually broke on me.
  • Only changed keyboard because PS2 to USB converters that work are crazy expensive. Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, I will miss you.
  • I actually had the same keyboard and abandoned it for the same reason. Still have it, still works great. I replaced it with a microsoft natural keyboard. Same basic thing, but in USB.
  • I have an iPod Touch and an iPhone already. Why bother getting a Juicepack?

To be clear, I wanted an iPhone, but didn't want to commit to a 2 year contract plus the cost of the phone itself (about 700 euros over two years) without being sure it's what I wanted. So I bought my iPod Touch to test out the platform, both the hardware and the software. I liked it. Then I waited until the iPhone 3GS came out, and bought that. The idea was to give the iPod Touch to my girlfriend when I got the iPhone, but she dumped me, and I kept it for book reading, internet in bed, etc.

Also, I still use my old macbook, even though I have a new macbook pro. The old one is great as a living room computer, for playing DVDs, music, and couch internet. Also it's great for when I have guests, as they can use it for internet without needing to go into my bedroom/office.

My plan is that when I get an iPad/other tablet it'll replace both the iPod Touch and the old laptop, and I can then lend those to friends who need them.
  • Thing about the Zune is, the device itself is great, butthe fact that you have to sync it with a shitty piece of software like WMP is not. Everyone I know who has gotten a Zune had so many problems with the software that they returned it or replaced it with an iPod.
  • That's 6835 minutes, 113 hours, of audio. Even if you are going on a long trip, there is no way you are going to listen to more than 113 hours of audio,
    This is why I didn't think I needed an iPod at first, and why I was wrong. It's not that you're ever going to listen to 113 hours of audio. It's that you're always going to have whatever album you feel like hearing right there when you want to hear it.
  • That's 6835 minutes, 113 hours, of audio. Even if you are going on a long trip, there is no way you are going to listen to more than 113 hours of audio,
    This is why I didn't think I needed an iPod at first, and why I was wrong. It's not that you're ever going to listen to 113 hours of audio. It's that you're always going to have whatever album you feel like hearing right there when you want to hear it.
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.
  • edited June 2010
    It's that you're always going to have whatever album you feel like hearing right there when you want to hear it.
    How about you just think about it a little before you leave the house.

Oh woe is me. I want to hear this very specific song at this instant, and I didn't sync it! Woe. This is almost as bad as the time a grain of rice was under my mattress.

No matter how many gigs you have, that problem will always happen. There is more music in existence than you can hold on any device. I can pretty much guarantee that if you look at the actual play counts of the songs on your iPod you will see the vast majority at or near 0, and a relatively smaller percentage with very many listens. It will be a classic long tail graph. Just delete all those with zero listens, and see how many gigs you really need. I can guarantee it will be far less than 16. Even so, the new iPhone comes in a 32 gig size, which I selected. Not because of the music, but so I can record video and use the iMovie and such. Almost very other non-Apple smart phone has an SD slot, which can definitely hold a 32+Gig card.

Trust me, I learned from experience. In college I had a huge MP3 collection. I still do. It was such a pain to reorganize it, I deleted a bunch of it, but not all. I then switched to a strategy of downloading entire discographies to rebuild. Discographies were full of so much extra stuff I would never listen to, so I switched to only getting all the studio albums. Then I realized I should really just get greatest hits albums.

I still have a huge pile of many many gigs of MP3s on my hard drive somewhere. I haven't listened to any of it in probably a year. Pandora is more than enough. I really don't miss it at all.
  • This reminds of the time when Scott tried to convince me I didn't need a large hard drive in my laptop. His reasoning: I don't, and so you shouldn't.

I am, however, not Scott, and have different needs.
  • This reminds of the time when Scott tried to convince me I didn't need a large hard drive in my laptop. His reasoning: I don't, and so you shouldn't.

I am, however, not Scott, and have different needs.
    Laptop hard drives are insanely unreliable. Nobody should ever store that large an amount of data on them. You have to assume a laptop hard drive is about to crash at every moment. I don't store any data on my laptop hard drive, even though it is 128GB Solid State. The only stuff on there is applications. Absolutely everything I never want to lose is backed up on magnetic discs, USB sticks in a drawer, the cloud, etc.