This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, I'm building this computer for college, see.

edited June 2010 in Technology
Here's what I've got so far

I don't need a new keyboard/mouse, so ignore that for now.

My budget is $1000, but I'd like to stick reasonably below that if possible. The computer's primarily going to be used for both high and low-end gaming, as well as Internet browsing and the usual staples. Suggestions/criticisms?

-EDIT- Oh, and plus OEM Windows 7 home premium.

Comments

• You forgot to get internal SATA cables. If that's a bare drive, it's not gonna come with any.
  • You forgot to get internal SATA cables. If that's a bare drive, it's not gonna come with any.
    The motherboards usually come with a bunch.
  • edited June 2010
    That GPU is weaksauce. Definitely get a better one.
    If you have tight budgetary constraints, you can save some cash by going with AMD for your CPU. Sure, Intel's CPUs offer better performance per watt, and AMD can't match their high-end offerings, but AMD is still better for performance per dollar, and the motherboards tend to be cheaper.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • That monitor is poop. If it isn't IPS, it's shit. It can only display 6-bits per color. That means 262,144 possible colors. Your video card is putting out full 32 bit color. That's 16.7 million possible colors. If you don't get an IPS monitor, what's the point of paying so much for fancy graphics cards and such? Dell Ultrasharp or bust.

There is no reason to get a separate heatsink and thermal grease. All Intel retail CPUs come with a standard heat sink that is more than adequate, and more importantly, silent. You don't need anything different unless you overclock, and you shouldn't overclock.

There's no reason to use an HDMI cable, use a DVI cable, which will come with your Dell Ultrasharp monitor. You should only use HDMI if say, you wanted to connect to your television. If you did, you should buy your HDMI cable from monoprice, where it will cost you less than $2. You could get 6 or 7 HDMI cables for the price of the one you are buying there.

What the heck brand of motherboard is that? It doesn't exactly have glowing reviews. Here's a tip on Newegg. You can't go wrong buying products that have little golden trophies next to them. How about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128437
  • edited June 2010
    It will be a struggle to fit an 8-bit panel in that budget, since the cheapest UltraSharp is ~$250 (incidentally, there's other types of panels apart from IPS and TN, and not all UltraSharps use IPS panels; however, it's only TN that's generally 6-bit). As for a decent graphics card not being worth it without an 8-bit panel, that's a load of crap. First of all, a decent graphics card gets you playable framerates in modern games, which is probably the most important factor for ProfPangloss. Besides that, if you think the eye-candy of being able to turn the graphics settings up somehow isn't worth it on a 6-bit panel, you're full of shit.
  • It will be a struggle to fit an 8-bit panel in that budget, since the cheapest UltraSharp is ~$250 (incidentally, there's other types of panels apart from IPS and TN, and not all UltraSharps use IPS panels; however, it's only TN that's generally 6-bit). As for a decent graphics card not being worth it without an 8-bit panel, that's a load of crap. First of all, a decent graphics card gets you playable framerates in modern games, which is probably the most important factor for ProfPangloss. Besides that, if you think the eye-candy of being able to turn the graphics settings up somehow isn't worth it on a 6-bit panel, you're full of shit.
    Well, you can at least turn off all the color-related settings, which should get you a nice frame rate boost, and thus you could get a much less powerful card.
  • lackofcheese, when you get back to Brisbane - Computer Alliance in Mansfield is the business.
  • Well, you can at least turn off all the color-related settings, which should get you a nice frame rate boost, and thus you could get a much less powerful card.
    What exactly are "color-related settings"?
    lackofcheese, when you get back to Brisbane - Computer Alliance in Mansfield is the business.
    I've used Umart and MSY previously. What's great about Computer Alliance? I doubt they're cheaper than those two.
  • It's nice to see Intel's heatsyncs have gotten better. That said, the Pendium D I've got does run kinda hot.

As for the monitor, Ultrasharps be expensive. Get a nice normal one. I've got a second hand LCD with VGA only and it's suited me fine. At that time in your life, the money is much more important.
  • It's nice to see Intel's heatsyncs have gotten better.
    They've been fine for as long as the Core 2 Duo has existed, and for some time before that as well.
  • edited June 2010
    I just launched L4D2 and I didn't see any settings in-game I would say are worthless on 6-bit as opposed to 8-bit. Hell, even if there was a setting for picking whether to use 6-bit colour rather than 8-bit, It would likely still be preferable to stick with displaying dithered 8-bit.

I rather think Scott is exaggerating the advantage of 8-bit panels here. Sure, they're better, and worth it if you've got the money, but for day-to-day use and gaming it won't matter much. Plus, TN panels have the advantage of faster response times when it comes to gaming. If you were going to do some kind of graphics work I'd definitely say 8-bit or bust, but that's not the case here.
  • They've been fine for as long as the Core 2 Duo has existed, and for some time before that as well.
    Yes, they've always "worked."
  • Yes, they've always "worked."
    Worked perfectly at that.
  • I've used Umart and MSY previously. What's great about Computer Alliance? I doubt they're cheaper than those two.
    I'll get you some discounts up ins, if need be. But I've not used Umart and MSY before, I'll check them out.
  • On that note, StaticICE is a very handy tool for checking Australian pricing.
  • On that note,StaticICEis a very handy tool for checking Australian pricing.
    Shit, that's handy - Thanks, I'll be needing to replace my old rig when I get back - It's on it's last legs, this laptop.
  • It's nice to see Intel's heatsyncs have gotten better. That said, the Pendium D I've got does run kinda hot.
    Nothing wrong with the heat sink. The Pentium D is just shit.
  • edited June 2010
    Really? It seems like a processor to me.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It's both, actually.
  • edited June 2010
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=2209WA3

Is $309 really that expensive? Back in the olden days I paid like $550 for a 17" LCD because it was the only one with a 12ms refresh rate, and thus was the only one that didn't have the ghosting effect while gaming. None of the other monitors at the time were even close. Here is the same exact Dell I currently have on eBay for $180.

And if you think that the screen makes no difference, consider this. Why are Apple displays basically super amazing compared to any others, and even normal people can tell? They're all IPS, even the iPhone. If I VNC from my computer to a Mac, it looks just as visually stunning. Then if I drag the VNC window over to my old non-IPS screen, it's night and day.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yes, at 150% to 200% the price, yes. Dropping that much may not seem that much for an IT pro but it's the same reason I have a Bamboo and Funfetus has a Cintiq.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, at 150% to 200% the price, yes. Dropping that much may not seem that much for an IT pro but it's the same reason I have a Bamboo and Funfetus has a Cintiq.
    I bought the $550 monitor when I was a poor college student working an on-campus job for a few bucks above minimum wage. I bought my first computer, Pentium III 450mhz with a 16MB TNT2 graphics card (pre-ordered, paid full price on release, first TNT2 ever), when I was working part time at a dry cleaner's after school.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited June 2010
    Well, people buy crazy water-cooling setups at that age, it's your money. What was your alternative? to put it in perspective.

Ok, I'll be away for a while, gotta head over and help Churba pack, see you all in a day or so.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Lies, You'll be able to get on the net over here.
  • @Apreche: Ok, let me rephrase things:
    If you are going to sit around and play Counterstrike for 3+ hours daily, you may want to spend a more on a monitor. How much money you set aside for luxuries and what you spend them on is your choice.
  • @Apreche: Ok, let me rephrase things:
    If you are going to sit around and play Counterstrike for 3+ hours daily, you may want to spend a more on a monitor. How much money you set aside for luxuries and what you spend them on is your choice.
    Indeed, people are free to choose however they please. That doesn't make those choices any less good or bad. Just because someone has the freedom to make any decision doesn't mean they can not, will not, or should not be admonished for making poor decisions.

From my perspective, if you are lacking in the financial department, then it is even more important to buy something that is high quality, especially if it something you care about.

For example, let's say you're really into photography, but the $1000 DSLR is a lot of moneys. So you opt for the $500 camera. It ends up being inadequate. $500 is still a lot, and now you are stuck with something that isn't quite enough. So now what do you do? Do you suffer with the inadequate camera? Do you sell it and then buy the DSLR? That's more money than it would have been to just buy the DSLR in the first place.

Building a computer is especially important to get some quality, because there could be breakage. You don't have much money, but a computer is very important for you. You save up a bunch, and then you cut a bunch of corners to build a PC. Let's say you get the price down to $1,000. Those corners you cut might be a cheaper PSU or a crappy hard drive or mobo. The result could be a computer that breaks, forcing you to spend more later. It could mean suffering with a lower quality computer for years. If you had just saved a little more and spent $1,250 or $1,500 in the first place, you would have something far more reliable and higher quality.

Think of it this way. A rich person can buy a $500 computer and not care if it's shit because he can just replace it with another $500 computer. A poor person can't afford to have it break or be shit because they can't afford to replace it. Their dollars are more valuable. Even though the numeric price is the same, the poor person is effectively paying a higher price for the same product. The rich person wouldn't even consider paying for insurance on such a thing. For a less rich person, a cheap insurance policy wouldn't be such a bad idea. Think of buying the better computer not as being wasteful and anti-frugal, think of it as cheap insurance. Buying a machine for $1,250 instead of $1,000 is like getting insurance for $250.
  • Yes, some corners shouldn't be cut, especially the PSU. However, a 6-bit panel will do the job just fine for the majority of uses. For example, there are essentially no modern laptops that use anything but TN panels.
  • You're going to need some hard stats to back that up and show at what point the cost benefit ratio works out.

Also think about how college kid only needs to make it long enough to replace their PC when they have full-time job money and said money isn't such a big option. An ultrasharp for a college income doesn't seem like a very wise choice. Same goes for Macs if you're capable of keeping a PC in order.
  • Yes, some corners shouldn't be cut, especially the PSU. However, a 6-bit panel will do the job just fine for the majority of uses. For example, there are essentially no modern laptops that use anything but TN panels.
    Yeah, that is the only complaint I have with the Thinkpad I just bought. There are really no laptops out there with IPS except Macs. Thing is, I'm only coding on here, and I don't need 16.7 million different colors of text.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, I think MacBook Pros also use TN panels, albeit higher-quality ones. See here.

8-bit vs 6-bit only really matters when you're viewing static images, because you get the chance to look at the detail enough that dithering and FRC used by 6-bit panels would be noticeable. For gaming and watching movies, the contrast ratio is a much more important specification.

See here for a demonstration of how a 6-bit panel displays 8 bits of colour (this will only work if you have a 6-bit panel, though they do have .gifs approximating the effect). On my laptop screen I can see that all of the black squares except every fourth one are noticeably noisy, but that kind of effect is negligible for non-static images.