This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Procaster

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
Scott has been looking for a live screencasting tool for a while, and I think I've found something that might do the job. Have a look at this, everyone. I might try it myself, but it looks to me like this is precisely what is needed.

EDIT: Damn, supposedly the free version has ads. A pity, but not surprising, considering this is probably the only tool of its kind.

Comments

• I've tested it and it works.
  • Is the resolution high enough to read text in a terminal? Also, does it record the screencast for later use?
  • edited June 2010
    You can manually adjust the broadcast resolution, though upload bandwidth is a limiting factor for me. You can also zoom the area being broadcast in and out, which could help with that.

The screencast is indeed recorded, similarly to ustream.

I recommend you try it to see if it will do the job for you.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I recommend you try it to see if it will do the job for you.
    I will do so tomorrow.
  • edited June 2010
    I use Livestream from time to time for streaming movies to my friends, and I have to say that Procaster is a pretty spotty piece of software. I mean, it works, and you can read text on the screen, but it's prone to a lot of crashes and failures. Everyone I know who uses Procaster has the same problems. Unfortunately, I don't think there are [m]any better options.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I didn't have any trouble while I was experimenting with it, but I didn't use it for very long. Nonetheless, if it's the only option and it mostly works, it's definitely worth trying.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, I'm about to broadcast myself getting pwned in "I Wanna Be The Tribute" to a friend of mine. I doubt anyone would want to watch me dying repeatedly except him, though, so this should serve mostly as a test of the software.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I was in some Procaster-fed anime streams a while back; they all went pretty well.
  • I've been broadcasting for 3.5 hours now, and I haven't really had any trouble. It seems pretty good to me.
  • I foresee FRCF Movie/Anime Nights.
  • I'm all for it. My stream went on for 5 hours without Procaster dying on my end, though supposedly the stream cut out for a little - but that may have been a problem on my viewer's end as well.

On the whole, Procaster is great so far.
  • I've been broadcasting for 3.5 hours now, and I haven't really had any trouble. It seems pretty good to me.
    Once you get it rolling, it rolls. The problems usually happen when you start it up.