This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's time to play lawyer.... (If you live in the USA)

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
Note: The facts have been changed somewhat in the interests of discretion.

I've got a question for anyone living in the United States. I have a situation where a person entered into a credit card debt consolidation program with a private company. It's one of those "debt relief" programs where the company gets paid tons of fees every month, and THEN negotiates the credit card debt. (With no assurance as to the result.) It's a fool's game.

Prior credit card statements are relevant to a particular matter. The person claims that the credit card companies will no longer talk to them, and are unwilling to provide copies of their prior monthly statements. The say this is because they are enrolled in the consolidation program.

They have not declared bankruptcy, to my knowledge. Any debt issues are still private.

Has anyone known somebody in this situation. It seems hard to believe. Before I hit the books, I was hoping to hear of an anecdotal story.

Comments

• I don't see any illegality here. Person had card debt, signed up for a consolidation service, therefore all debts are transferred and essentially no longer exist with the previous companies. The debt loan agency now holds all rights to the debt. Typically what happens is the consolidation company settles the debts and pays them all off, which is a good thing. Then they charge a ridiculous rate and have a ton of fees, which is a crappy thing, and often you end up paying more a month to them than you would have to all the card companies. It is, indeed, a fools game. The best bet would likely be a bankruptcy.

Having worked as a debt collector for a short stint, nothing seems illegal with that situation. It's been a while and I can't guarantee my answer, but that's what I think.
  • Yeah, I think Macross is right. That's pretty much the same story I've heard about the debt consolidation scam.

I would, however, look for illegalities in any attempts to collect the debt. I read lots of stories about people who have collectors come after them breaking the law, and they are winning suits when they fight back.
  • Yeah, I think Macross is right. That's pretty much the same story I've heard about the debt consolidation scam.

I would, however, look for illegalities in any attempts to collect the debt. I read lots of stories about people who have collectors come after them breaking the law, and they are winning suits when they fight back.
    Indeed. If they don't follow debt law protocol, it's time to lawyer up and sue the bejesus out of people.
  • This is not a matter of being illegal. I'm just skeptical that the person cannot get these records.
  • This is not a matter of being illegal. I'm just skeptical that the person cannot get these records.
    Let's say you bought a car from Jimmy's Auto Mall. You defaulted on the loan you had through the dealership. Rather than have the car repossessed, you let your best friend, Billy, take legal responsibility for the loan, and therefore the title of the car as well.

Now, even though you continue to drive the car, the dealership is doing business with Billy. You're not in the picture anymore as far as they're concerned. Legally, you're an end user. When it comes to matters of finance, however, most businesses have confidentiality rules -- some internal and some enforced by law -- to which they adhere. They are not about to release information about the loan to you, only to Billy. It's in his name now. It's his responsibility. You have nothing to do with it. You're no longer the customer.

This is most likely the attitude with which the credit company is approaching your friend's record request. Your debt has been sold to a third party (the consolidator), and the credit card issuer is no longer doing business with you. Any information about that debt is confidential between the credit card issuer and the consolidator. If you want access to that information, you would have to go to the consolidator to get it.

And that is most likely protected by both state and federal law, although I'm far from an expert in that area and have never dealt with consolidators myself.
  • edited June 2010
    Do you think the debt has really been sold? I figured that the consolidation company just negotiated a lower payoff amount. Keep in mind that while the client is paying the "fees" for the first 15 months or so, the client's debt stays in default and the credit card company knows nothing about the consolidation. It's only after the fee has been paid that the company negotiates the debt.

That would make sense, though, if the consolidation company actually assumes the debt. But I just can't imagine they would take that risk.

Keep in mind that this was not a consolidation loan. It's just some shady debt relief program. The type that Attorneys General sue all of the time.

UPDATE: I think I just found my answer. Here is a quote from an article:

But debt settlement is just the opposite. Debt settlement companies, sometimes called “debt negotiation” companies, do not negotiate with a person’s creditors directly. Instead, they wait until the debts have been turned over to a collection agency and only then begin the process of negotiating for a lower repayment amount.

If the credit card company has sent the debt off to a collection firm, they've washed their hands of the debt.

But... the issue is getting statements from BEFORE the time it was sent to collection. Surely someone has to be able to give these to the person. Maybe the person was not specific enough. This is not an issue of dealing with the debt, just getting statements to show the accrual of debt.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited June 2010
    But... the issue is getting statements from BEFORE the time it was sent to collection. Surely someone has to be able to give these to the person. Maybe the person was not specific enough. This is not an issue ofdealingwith the debt, just getting statements to show the accrual of debt.
    If you find out which bank issued the original auto loan, it is very likely that someone has the ability to log in to that bank's web site to check the records for the loan.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • But... the issue is getting statements from BEFORE the time it was sent to collection. Surely someone has to be able to give these to the person. Maybe the person was not specific enough. This is not an issue ofdealingwith the debt, just getting statements to show the accrual of debt.
    If you find out which bank issued the original auto loan, it is very likely that someone has the ability to log in to that bank's web site to check the records for the loan.
    I'm not too sure about the company and rules behind all this, but it seems to me that working with a consolidation company that intentionally waits for all loans to default before doing anything is phenomenally stupid. You're better off with a consolidation agency. Also, once someone else is assigned to managing your debt (as in, you've signed your debts over to them, and now owe them instead of the original companies) the accounts are no longer yours, period. You do not have the right to access an account that is not yours, AFIK.
  • edited June 2010
    In my experience at a firm that handled some FDCPA matters, the client has a right to their records/statements, but they may have to cover the expense for copying and shipping. Often, the request must be provided in writing and must note clearly what records are being requested (a range of dates). In most cases, sending the request certified with return receipt requested and signed by someone with an "Esq." after their name makes them (the creditor/agency) hop-to-it. Moreover, depending on the industry practices in the given State, they may only keep records up to a certain number of years. If the statements are more than 7-13 years old, they may not have them on record and subsequently may not be able to provide copies.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Thanks, Kate Monster. That was very helpful.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks, Kate Monster. That was very helpful.
    You're welcome.
    EDIT:
    Also, if the debt changed hands frequently, a request to the original creditor as well as a request to the current owner may cut the time between request for and receipt of the required documents significantly. Usually the creditor is responsible for verifying the debt (which may or may not include providing records) within (iirc) 30 days of receipt of a written request for verification. I cannot remember if that is part of the FDCPA or if that was just a State Law, though, so I do apologize if that is not accurate to your State.

Oh, and there is a key difference in the original creditor hiring a collection agency to collect on their behalf and a collection agency purchasing the debt. The individual's credit report will state who currently (w/in 3-6 months of accuracy) owns the debt.

Further, waiting until the debt is sold may actually help the consumer as the original creditor often sells the debt for pennies on the dollar, meaning that the new owner is significantly less "in the hole" for the debt and often has a lot more room to negotiate a settlement that both provides the debt collection agency with a profit and is within a budget the debtor can more easily afford. The only time this might be detrimental is if the original creditor is still compounding interests and fees to the sum of the debt. In which case, fast action is preferred over waiting for the debt to sell.
  • IIRC, the 30 day verification rule under the FDCPA deals with disputing the debt, not with a mere request for copies of old statements.
  • edited June 2010
    IIRC, the 30 day verification rule under the FDCPA deals withdisputingthe debt, not with a mere request for copies of old statements.
    You may be right, but I think it isn't specified to disputies alone. I think a debtor may request a verification for any reason, whether they intend to dispute the debt or not, and that the 30 day rule applies regardless of the reason behind the verification.