This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geek stuff to do while visiting NYC (...this weekend!)

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
It turns out that I will be in New York this weekend. Some of my friends are driving down (from Montreal) so I'm taking the opportunity to visit for much less than the cost of a bus ticket. However, this will be something like the 5th time I've been there (3rd time not as a little kid) so I'm not doing any sight-seeing. At least in the standard way. I know at least a few of you forumites are familiar with the big apple so I ask for suggestions of things to do as a travelling geek. One thing that came to mind is to check out that Kinokuniya book store. I also happened to notice this on the adafruit blog.

What say you, oh wise internet?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I approve of the link, NYC Resistor is awesome. It's basically a large community workshop (they call it a "hack space") where anyone can come in and make cool gadgets with a shared set of resources. I met two of the guys that run the place at Internet Week and they were legit so if that's your thing I'd say go for it.

It's a kung fu-packed weekend at the NYC Asian Film Festival! http://www.subwaycinema.com/nyaff10/films/schedule.php

Other things I would recommend outside of traditional sightseeing for an outsider? The Upright Citizens Brigade Theater always flies under the radar in my opinion: http://www.ucbtheatre.com/. You'll have a good laugh no matter what show you go to, but there is an ASSSSCAT 3000 show on Sunday night, which is a sketch group that often includes some big names trying out stuff. All shows are cheap or free.

Depending on where you are coming from, you may not have access to a lot of limited-release movies. You can see any movie you desire in the city, including all that limited-release and art house picture stuff, and it might be a good way to escape the balls-hot heat for a short respite.

Nightlife: SPiN is basically a bar with 16 ping pong tables http://www.spinyc.com/info.php
    Barcade is a bar with an arcade, but can suffer from overpopularity: http://www.barcadebrooklyn.com/

Shopping: Kinokuniya is a good book store. For a non-geek book store check out the Strand. It's a serious used book store and the prices are quite good. It's one of those stores that will suck you in, but you can find good deals if you dig. Your geek shopping options exist but I'm not necessarily blown away by NYC shopping. Do not get fooled by the "Video Games Hall of Fame" at Video Games NY. The shop is a hole in the wall and really doesn't have that great of a selection for old used stuff. Yes, before eBay, places like that were probably the shit. The Compleat Strategist blows away most people's local game stores in terms of tabletop gaming selection, but don't expect to get something below full sticker price. Still fun to browse if you don't have a big game store by you. I suggest Jim Hanley's Universe for comics although some are big fans of Midtown Comics. Hit both if that's your speed.

Make sure you get some good food while you're in town. NYC has no shortage of fantastic food at all ends of the $ spectrum, just don't wind up eating at a tourist trap (Times Square). This post would get way too long if I started talking about food.

Finally, check out this thread from my other favorite forum, "Weird Things to do in NYC": http://nerdnyc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46113

Hope you have a great weekend in the city! Let us know how everything goes.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • OK so I HAD to throw one food suggestion in. If you are comfortable with spending waaaaaay too much money on a meal, you need to go to this place with your friends: http://www.ninjanewyork.com/ where you will be served by ninja waiters and waitresses. Took my wife for her birthday once and it was just a really fun time. Yes, it's cheesy, but they do a really good job with the place.
  • Barcade A bar in Brooklyn with vintage arcade games, all still playable for quarters.

Bookoff + Cafe Zaiya East 41st Street They're just about next door to each other, near the big Library at Bryant Park Bookoff is a japanese book store that does trade-ins. It has a lot of stuff Kinokuniya has but waywayway cheaper. Cafe Zaiya is an excellent Japanese bakery with delights ranging from hot bowls, onigiri, and curry-pan, to mont blanc, mochi donuts, and melon pan. Try the sesame icecream if you're feeling adventurous.

St. Mark's Place: It's worth seeing; a little street full of Japanese things, from snack food, to booze, to other random stuff like a comics store and a sock store. The izakaya Kenka is very fun, but hard to get into if you have a large group. It's the one with a giant, red-eyed tanuki and a huge crowd standing outside.

Nintendo World is neat if you're visiting.

Jekyll and Hyde Club is fun, though the food is passe. They hire actors to go around and interact with patrons, while certain things mounted on the walls come alive from time to time.

The Algonquin Hotel at 59 West 44th Street , between Fifth and Sixth Avenues....is lovely and historical. This was the hangout of Dorothy Parker and other famous literary giants that founded the New Yorker magazine. It's also a very pleasant place to lounge and get a drink.

My favorite places in the city are the Met, the Library, Bryant Park, and Central Park...though I'm sure you've been there, they're so big they deserve a re-visit.
  • Apparently, there's this place called The Ginger Man on East 36th. It receives TheWhaleShark's Beer Snob Stamp of Approvalâ„¢. You should go. Have some draft Belgian ales, or something from a cask.
  • Don't forget Max Brenner's Chocolate Bar if you love dessert.

Also, Chinatown may be hectic and smelly, but it's a lot of fun. There's good food that's easy to find and a lot of little shops that sell (mostly bootlegged) anime things.
  • Apparently, there's this place calledThe Ginger Manon East 36th. It receives TheWhaleShark's Beer Snob Stamp of Approval™. You should go. Have some draft Belgian ales, or something from a cask.
    I've been there. It's pretty awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    Brokeback Strangers

Sorry the video wont embed for some reason.

EDIT

Whoops. I don't know why I posted this here. I had two forum windows open and made a mistake. Sorry.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Well its not this weekend or a weekend at all really. I have a friend coming up from Orlando and he is going to be in the city the 21-24. I'm going to spend the day with him on the 22nd. I plan on taking him to Cafe Zayia, Bookoff, Kinokuniya and probably the Nintendo store. Any other suggestions? It needs to be stuff to do during the day as he has plans already for the night. Isn't there a video game museum or something?
  • edited June 2011
    You might be thinking of the video game museum at Video Games NY, which is really the only non-Gamestop video game store in NYC. I would not make a special trip to this shop. It is a dive, has only a few small things worth oooh-ing an ahh-ing at, and all the old video games there can be had for cheaper on the interwebs. HOWEVER, if you do wind up going there, Toy Tokyo is right around the corner, and is a pretty damn cool shop.

Otherwise, although non-geeky, I always recommend that people visit the 9/11 Memorial preview site. A lot of people don't even realize it exists, but it is really well done. Also, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk through and read all of the information, so you're getting to see a lot of good stuff in a short amount of time.

Also, you seem to have an interest in books. Hit up the Strand for used books.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • MoCCA you say... Hmm. Sounds good.