This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Deus Ex Sale and Fail

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
So I logged in to steam today and saw that Deus Ex was available for $2.49. Now, this was one of the best hybrid FPS/RPG games I ever played, and with the new one coming out soon and it being so cheap, I figured this was a good way to replace my lost CD (I block out the second game, it is so bad). So I grabbed it.

I then went to play and it immediately crashed before even loading up, with the helpful message "Deux Ex has Stopped working". I even tried running it in 'safe mode', but that just generated a massive "General Protection fault". I've been looking around on the web for solutions, but I haven't found any mention of this problem (using google). I'm understandably pissed off; if Steam is offering a game, it should work properly. It's just like a used car salesman selling a car: by selling it, they take the responsibility that it works properly at the time of sale (not a perfect analogy).

So while I wait for steams notorious support to get back to me, I figured I would warn people and ask if anyone knows how to fix this problem. I am running windows 7 on an Athalon 64 X2 Dual 4600+ 2.41Ghz with 4GB ram and a Geforce GTS 250.

Comments

• I bought it a long time ago, and it works. However, I'm not a big fan of the game itself.
  • Working fine on similar system. Pentium D, 4GB RAM and 8600GT.
  • Well, here's a way to get it to look better.
    It's something you might as well do, and it might randomly fix some problems.
  • Every few months I try and get into that game and I fail every time... Not sure why.
  • edited June 2010
    Well,here'sa way to get it to look better.
    It's something you might as well do, and it might randomly fix some problems.
    I cannot make the game start!! Help Me!!
    Post edited by Void Dragon on
  • edited June 2010
    You should probably be posting this in the Steam forums instead of here. Others may be having the same problems.

[Edit] They are. Looks like the fix is to disable DEP.
    Post edited by Sail on