This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grades don't matter anymore?

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
One day next month every student at Loyola Law School Los Angeles will awake to a higher grade point average. But it’s not because they are all working harder. The school is retroactively inflating its grades, tacking on 0.333 to every grade recorded in the last few years. The goal is to make its students look more attractive in a competitive job market.
In Law Schools, Grades Go Up, Just Like That This is wrong on so many levels.

Comments

• While I do think that grades are pretty much not actually important as a standard, since I've failed things I knew and gotten A's on things I didn't know shit about, this is retarded. Its the same damn reason that we can't just print more money so no one is poor. If the school has to do something like this then maybe they just need some better professors.
  • Wow. I bet public schools wish they could pull that shit.
  • Um, wow. And our school has a hard curve; they distribute you to the bell curve, so even if you know almost everything from the class, you can still get a C if everyone else has a good test day. Whatever; I'm not relying on my grades anyway. Networking and practical skills FTW.
  • Wow. I bet public schools wish they could pull that shit.
    The government in the UK figured out they could do this a long time ago, hence state schools improve year on year without any other signs that kids are getting smarter.
  • edited June 2010
    I honestly think that most (if not all) grading systems should be pass/fail with "B" level working being the pass mark. What should distinguish students should be any high level work or achievements they garner in addition to their basic work.
    I understand that is breaks down at the highest level of scholastic achievement, but I think "scholarship" and learning are two very, very different ideas. Scholarship, particularly in higher education, is just learning to game the system and being incredibly patient when that system poops all over you.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2010
    So you mean they don't have to pad their resume with a second bullshit lib arts major? What the fuck am I studying Eastern European Sci Fi for!?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • On one hand, I understand that this is totally messed up because of how it allows people who shouldn't get into high-end workforce, get into the high-end workforce.

On the other hand, I do badly at tests and I know loads of other people who do badly because of tests. Hell, I see so many college students who hardly have ANY interpersonal skills, so many people are like...good at one half and bad at the other. We need specific retooling, but.../sigh. Who knows.

Schools always need moneys and there are just never enough.