This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Historic Wimbledon game in progress (9+ hour match!)

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
At the current moment, John Isner and Nicholas Mahut are engaged in a tennis match that I is actually epic. At the current moment, the score is 53-54(!!), with Isner having the advantage. With America playing today, this completely went over my head. The stats on this game is going to be insane. I have to wonder if there going to have to suspend play, as the longer this goes, the greater the toll it will take on the health of both athletes. My friend just told me that there's actually no rule that allows suspension for play. But then again, I don't think anybody ever thought that a game could go on for 9+ hours!!!

Comments

• But then again, I don't think anybody ever thought that a game could go on for 9+ hours!!!
    How the fuck can anyone still be going after playing tennis for 9 goddamn hours?
  • It would be more epic if these were star players that anyone cared about. Federer Nadal from a few years back, much more exciting.
  • How the fuck can anyone still be going after playing tennis for 9 goddamn hours?
    I was at a hockey game where, during the third overtime, the players on the bench were wearing oxygen masks.

I say that shouldn't suspend play. Go until one of them passes out.

Another option is to collude with your opponent to make your own game last longer, getting the record. Agree to play for real after x games.
  • edited June 2010
    How the fuck can anyone still be going after playing tennis for 9 goddamn hours?
    I was at a hockey game where, during the third overtime, the players on the bench were wearing oxygen masks.

I say that shouldn't suspend play. Go until one of them passes out.

Another option is to collude with your opponent to make your own game last longer, getting the record. Agree to play for real after x games.
    The previous longest was 6 hours. They crushed that, along with a crazy amount of other records. I just found out that the match was suspended due to darkness last night. That was around the 2 hour mark. So they've continued to play an additional 7+ hours today. It seems like it's never going to end, they can't break serve.
    It would be more epic if these were star players that anyone cared about. Federer Nadal from a few years back, much more exciting.
    While I agree a Federer and Nadal match similar to this it would be more amazing, this game is still pretty mind blowing, despite the lack of star power.
    Post edited by datruth29 on
  • While I agree a Federer and Nadal match similar to this it would be more amazing, this game is still pretty mind blowing, despite the lack of star power.
    I'm saying their showdown in the finals a couple years ago was more amazing than this match can possibly ever be. This long match will just go down in history as a weird anomaly. It's blooper reel material, not an epic for the ages.
  • Play was suspended due to darkness.
  • actually epic
    Not 'epic', you mean 'long stalemate'. Nothing epic about a stalemate other than it being infuriatingly repetitive. It's silly to watch the leg-count climb up. But I agree, a 7 hour long set dead-locked due to a lack of serve breaks is something for the history books, nothing more.
    My friend just told me that there's actually no rule that allows suspension for play.
    Your friend is an idiot. Tennis matches often get suspended due to various weather conditions, and when it gets too dark to play, they will suspend the match. ... as you have found out yourself.
    Wipe hands, racket, face after ever serve, be just as beat as your opponent thus every play lasting 3 or so swings, short breaks for hydration, and of course being a professional athlete.
  • and of course being a professional athlete.
    Well, there is that. Still, this is quite the staggering display of athletic prowess.
  • and of course being a professional athlete.
    Well, there is that. Still, this is quite the staggering display of athletic prowess.
    True, true, but they're both fucking beat. Neither had legs left, both had like 100 aces, double that were faulty returns, and then the rest were short volleys, with pauses interspersed in there for getting new balls/switching serve/switching side.

Tennis isn't that tiring a sport compared to other physical sports really, and they train hard on endurance because matches still take several hours normally. Great feat, but not too spectacular.
  • edited June 2010
    If no-one breaks at the start of play tomorrow, it might well go on forever.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If no-one breaks at the start of play tomorrow, it might well go on forever.
    What would make this epic is the two of them going on until they retire, passing the Eternal Match on to their heirs. This continues for thousands of years, and over that time the Eternal Match mutates Tennis into a martial art/religion, with the two players representing the collected wisdom of generations; Yin and Yang, forever holding the discipline's philosophy in balance as they continue their eternal deadlock. Then, one day, a young and reckless heir wins.

And everyone looses their shit.

The victorious heir, Tobias Nadal, using this as a symbol of Yang's dominance, leads a massive army which leaves a trail of burning Tennis players in his wake. All seems lost when Nadal declares victory and sits idly on his dark throne of bouncy yellow balls, but there are some who resisit. Petraeus Federer, descendant of the ancient Roger Federer, leads a cyberpunk rebellion composed of Tennis players, not to overthrow Nadal, but to lock him in another unending match, restoring balance to the Tennis once more.

Bioware, go make this RPG right now.
  • I think my brain just broke.
  • edited June 2010
    Whatwouldmake this epic is the two of them going on until they retiredie
    Also, that reminds me of "Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden", although I've only heard about that game, not played it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Whatwouldmake this epic is the two of them going on until theyretiredie
    Tennis is still a sport, mind you, it won't get to that level for another few hundred years.
  • If no-one breaks at the start of play tomorrow, it might well go on forever.
    Whatwouldmake this epic is the two of them going on until they retire, passing the Eternal Match on to their heirs. This continues for thousands of years, and over that time the Eternal Match mutates Tennis into a martial art/religion, with the two players representing the collected wisdom of generations; Yin and Yang, forever holding the discipline's philosophy in balance as they continue their eternal deadlock. Then, one day, a young and reckless heir wins.

The victorious heir, Tobias Nadal, using this as a symbol of Yang's dominance, leads a massive army which leaves a trail of burning Tennis players in his wake. All seems lost when Nadal declares victory and sits idly on his dark throne of bouncy yellow balls, but there are some who resisit. Petraeus Federer, descendant of the ancient Roger Federer, leads a cyberpunk rebellion composed of Tennis players, not to overthrow Nadal, but to lock him in another unending match, restoring balance to the Tennis once more.

Bioware, go make this RPGright now.
    David Foster Wallace would be so fucking proud.
  • actually epic
    Not 'epic', you mean 'long stalemate'. Nothing epic about a stalemate other than it being infuriatingly repetitive. It's silly to watch the leg-count climb up. But I agree, a 7 hour long set dead-locked due to a lack of serve breaks is something for the history books, nothing more.
    Honestly, I call it epic because it's something that I never seen, nor imagined would happen. I'm probably never going to see something like this again. Maybe 'bizarre' would be a better word to use.
    My friend just told me that there's actually no rule that allows suspension for play.
    Your friend is an idiot.Tennis matches often get suspended due to various weather conditions, and when it gets too dark to play, they will suspend the match.... as you have found out yourself.
    This is my fault, I was unclear with my original sentence. The context of the question had nothing to do with suspending play for environmental reasons and more so to do with time and physical exhaustion. They can't suspend time because players have been playing for 7 hours and just happen to want to take a break.
  • edited June 2010
    Whatwouldmake this epic is the two of them going on until they retire, passing the Eternal Match on to their heirs. This continues for thousands of years, and over that time the Eternal Match mutates Tennis into a martial art/religion, with the two players representing the collected wisdom of generations; Yin and Yang, forever holding the discipline's philosophy in balance as they continue their eternal deadlock. Then, one day, a young and reckless heir wins.

Bioware, go make this RPGright now.
    Shut up and Jam: Gaiden 2?

But seriously, any match for anything that goes on for 10 Hours with no resolution (LeMans 24h being the clear exception, but that's somewhat mitigated), whilst it's an achievement for the sportsmen, should be a big notice saying "Fix this shit!" in big bold letters in red ink and little magnetic exclamation marks slapped around it. Mind you, I seem to be alone in this mindset and apparently I am the lone person in this world that apparently has something better to do that watch Football and/or Tennis.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • The match is finally over. Isner defeated Mahut, 70-68. Match time was an absurd 11 hours and 5 minutes.
  • Wimbledon 2010 live blog for June 23:
    6.25pm: <...>
    I'm wondering if maybe an angel will come and set them free. Is this too much to ask? Just one slender angel, with white wings and a wise smile, to tell them that's it's all right, they have suffered enough and that they are now being recalled. The angel could hug them and kiss their brows and invite them to lay their rackets gently on the grass. And then they could all ascend to heaven together. John Isner, Nicolas Mahut and the kind angel that saved them.
    6.48pm: The sun is sinking and the court is a blur. It is at this stage that Zombie Isner starts to look like Zombie Mahut and the Zombie Umpire stops croaking and starts to chirrup like a grasshopper. In other words, we're here but we're gone. Is anyone still alive up in the stands or have they now all been eaten? It's 40-40. And that's games, not points

Still no sign of that angel either, the one that swore blind that she would come down and spirit the players off to Disneyland Paris where they could ride the Thunder Mountain rollercoaster forever and ever amen. I'm now starting to wonder if she really exists.
    It is full of win