This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Glyde: Sell your crap for money. Real money.

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
So, I was reading the Coupons and Deals section of SomethingAwful, when someone started a referrer chain for this neat site called Glyde. Its a site where people can buy and sell books, cds, dvds, and video games they don't want any more. Even the recommended prices are pretty fair (especially for video games), and it's a little easier than selling on Amazon. They take between $1 and $1.75, and mail you the deally to ship the book to the person who bought it, then take 10% off the top as a transaction fee. However, this is all self contained to the sale; you don't have to drop any up-front money to sell something. If you think about it, it's kinda brilliant. They're getting people to pay to be a distributed warehouse for them.

The only pain I've found is that sometimes, you'll be trying to put in a book to sell, and they'll only have the hardcover, or the spanish translation, or whatever. However, beyond that, the site's got a snazzy, easy to understand interface, and selling stuff is, as they say, about as easy as throwing it away.

Gonna be totally scummy and leave my referrer link here.

Comments

• I think I heard about this site a long time ago. I don't know how trustworthy it is. I'll stick to selling things on Amazon, which is completely trustworthy.
  • I've had good experiences buying and selling from Half.com, so I have no desire to switch at the moment, but one some time passes let me know if this Glyde thing works out well for you, and then I'd take a closer look.
  • Bookmooch.com is way better for books. You trade books instead of selling and buying them.
  • Bookmooch.com is way better for books. You trade books instead of selling and buying them.
    I used to use Paperback Swap, which is similar, but it just felt sub-optimal.
  • I'll stick to selling things on Amazon, which is completely trustworthy.
    Wait, you can sell things on Amazon?
    yup, I find it to be more easy then ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html
    yup, I find it to be more easy then ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html
    Totally. I just sold a textbook.
  • edited June 2010
    Bookmooch.com is way better for books. You trade books instead of selling and buying them.
    I used Bookmooch for a while, until I realized that almost all the books on there can be had for about $.02 + shipping on Amazon, and they never had much that I wanted.

I'm gonna have to investigate selling on Amazon. My bookshelves are getting a bit crowded.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I'm going to be selling upwards of 70 used games, all in various states of conditions. Where is the best place to do this, Amazon? Ebay? Shipping will be primarily in Europe as shipping to America is too costly.
  • I'm going to be selling upwards of 70 used games, all in various states of conditions. Where is the best place to do this, Amazon? Ebay? Shipping will be primarily in Europe as shipping to America is too costly.
    There is a balance you must strike.

If you want it to be easy, and to just get rid of all the games immediately, then just take them to a game store that buys used games. They'll take them all, but you won't get much money.

If you want to make the most possible money, then you will have to do more work. That means selling each game individually for as much money as you can get. That means researching the values of the games and using Amazon/eBay and such.
    There is a balance you must strike.

If you want it to be easy, and to just get rid of all the games immediately, then just take them to a game store that buys used games. They'll take them all, but you won't get much money.

If you want to make the most possible money, then you will have to do more work. That means selling each game individually for as much money as you can get. That means researching the values of the games and using Amazon/eBay and such.
    I prefer to get the most possible monies possible, I'm just wondering what platform would be best to sell it on. I know enough theoretical knowledge about how to price games. I'm just wondering where it would be best to sell. Right now I see either Amazon or Ebay. I would also prefer to get rid of the games within 3 weeks if possible, but otherwise I'm sure I can still organize something.
  • If you want a mid-road option as far as effort is concerned, you could just put them up in one huge lot on eBay. I'd bet you get more than the pennies Gamestop offers for trade-ins.

The real source of work if you want to get the best price per game is going to be actually individually shipping 70 freaking games. I suggest buying 10-packs of self-sealing bubble-mailers and just dropping the game in one, sealing it, and calling it a day. When you enter a UPC code on half.com to sell the item, they give you historical min-max-mean sales data. It's not always the most accurate but if you've got to blow through 70 listings and you're pressed for time it could help. Other sites may do this as well but I haven't used any others in ages so I can't remember.

Also, I don't know what the popular sites for used products are in Europe. It may be the same exact websites but I've learned not to assume that. If you're shipping in Europe only, ask Europeans where they would shop.
  • I would also prefer to get rid of the games within 3 weeks if possible, but otherwise I'm sure I can still organize something.
    If you want maximum moneys it will take time.