This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Summer Sale

1202122232426»

Comments

• Walker said:

HMTKSteve said:

Banished? The built a town from nothing game?

Yeah, it is good though very slow starting. Also do not skip the tutorials, your people will die and you will have no idea why.

That's bullshit. I skipped the tutorials. They usually die because you didn't feed them enough or they didn't have fire wood.
    That was rude and unnecessary, sorry. Banished is a simple game when you get down to it. People need warmth and food. They eat a lot of food and it gets really cold, so you have to dedicate a lot of people to making food and shelter. There are variations in season temperature and random fuckery that impede you, and small mistakes can be catastrophic because the only real consequence in the game is death. So you spend a lot of time repeating fairly simple tasks to work with the rhythm of the game.

It gets more interesting when the population becomes significantly large. Growth rates increase with population size, so rapid expansion and resource distribution have to be addressed while maintaining the balancing-act-over-death-spikes that is food and shelter. Optimizing harvest and manufacturing rates, and careful storage and distribution planning is the really fun part. As the game goes on I expect I'll have to deal with severe scarcity as well. It gets pretty repetitive, in reality, but when the meditative process of working with the seasons evolves into a life-or-death struggle of economics and urban design against the environment it makes me happy.