This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Summer Sale

Comments

• MoW bought, should be awesome.
  • I'm waiting until the last day for anything not in the sale.

They'll probably have another weekend sale the week after, just to spite me.
  • Dogfighter: worth it, or should I just stick to Oddworld for today?
  • Omnutia - you can buy me the Oddworld Pack; that will leave $5 left to pay back, but $5 should be a more common price than $7.50.
  • edited June 2010
    I also owe you a coffee but that will have to wait for later. Thanks man, You're awesome.
    It seems that next time I'll be in L.A. it will be in the airport for a short time on Thursday, so buying me a coffee next time I'm in L.A. won't work out. I guess the coffee will have to wait until the time after that when we happen to be in approximately the same physical location :D
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • it will be in the airport for a short time on Thursday,
    How short and when? LAX is really close to where I live, I could hop over there, give you a high five, and exchange a few words before you have to leave.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmmm.... Nothing very interesting this time around... Maybe Commando's since it's like 3 bucks (and GTAIV, SFIV and X-com if you don't already have them).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Hmmm.... Nothing very interesting this time around... Maybe Commando's since it's like 3 bucks (and GTAIV, SFIV and X-com if you don't already have them).
    ArmA2 50% off ~_^
  • OH FFFffuuu! They bring out all the big guns at once.
  • Meh, I don't know if I should get SFIV, mostly everyone migrated to the console versions with Super Street Fighter IV, and my geographical location would mean that no one would like to play with me due to possible lag.
  • Meh, I don't know if I should get SFIV, mostly everyone migrated to the console versions with Super Street Fighter IV, and my geographical location would mean that no one would like to play with me due to possible lag.
    Yeah, SFIV is basically completely obsolete at this point.
  • ArmA2 50% off ~_^
    Is that a good game? never really heard of it before this?
  • edited June 2010
    Argh.. If I hadn't bought OFP. Even with NS2 coming out so soon, it might still have been worth it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2010
    Is that a good game? never really heard of it before this?
    ArmA2 satisfies a very specific niche in the gaming community. At it's core, A2 is a multi-role combat simulator with it's main focus being infantry and ground vehicle combat. I say simulator because the game is focused on providing as realistic environment as possible. The game comes with two maps, with one being around 225 km² and the other slightly smaller (although there are several amazing community made maps). Personally, I only use it for multiplayer but the game does come with an extensive single player campaign.

The way that ArmA2 handles multiplayer is very innovative. It's provides a built in editor to create missions. These missions are the core of ArmA2 and come in two varieties. There is a cooperative and adversarial. A coop mission usually involves one team completing whatever objectives the mission maker put out for them against AI opponents. These missions usually feature extensive scripting for cinematic events. An adversarial mission has two teams battling it out.

I play with a fairly large community every weekend. We get around 60-70 people at a time in a server which means we have 70+ coop missions and often 30 vs. 30 adversarial games. This past weekend we got a game with 100+ people (we did a 54 vs 54 adversarial). It's a very special gaming experience for me and one that cannot be replicated elsewhere. The best part is that mission making provides a very easy and enjoyable way to create content to play with my friends. ArmA2 comes with it's own scripting language and is extremely mod friendly.

For example this is a video showing the group playing through a mission I created. The basic objective was for them to push through a peninsula and secure a compound. The catch was that I created a nerve gas script that I used to create deadly gas traps. When players walked in the area of the trap and triggered the gas, they would only have a couple seconds to put on their gas mask or they would die. I scripted in a dying animation as well as using some post processing effects to blur their vision.

HOWEVER, the game is not without it's faults. Many people find the animation system sluggish and intrusive. Also, the game can be quite buggy at times. Yet, despite all of this, I'm willing to put up with the difficulties because the experience is second to none. It's about as close to a MMOFPS as one can get these days without dealing with all the traditional MMO trappings.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm pondering GTA IV for $5. I mean, you can't really go wrong with a solid sandbox game for that price. Thing is, I'm not sure how much of it I'm actually going to want to play.
  • It's pretty bad. Given it's slow performance, shaky controls and the looming threat of grindy side missions turned me off that game pretty fast.
  • Cool, one less thing for me to buy :D
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks for that description Andrew, does that expansion work with the original game or next to it (I.E. if I buy the game will everyone have moved on to that arrowhead game>)
    It's pretty bad. Given it's slow performance, shaky controls and the looming threat of grindy side missions turned me off that game pretty fast.
    I didn't have this problem, I used a X-box 360 controller and my hot PC and only have a few issues in the normal GTA style controls (I.E. locking on to targets easily)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • After reading that, I felt like I could give it a try, doesn't sound like my kind of game, but could be interesting. Then I saw the price of 15€ and started to doubt. Also the demo is too big to just download and try it so I'm kinda unsure will I get it or not. Lucky there is (little) time to think about it.
  • My rule is that if it's military-themed and Andrew likes it, it's not my type of game.
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't have this problem, I used a X-box 360 controller and my hot PC and only have a few issues in the normal GTA style controls (I.E. locking on to targets easily)
    I had problems with the sucky controller (I also used the xbox360 controller) the camera is by far the worst thing, specially when driving. Some visual bugs here and there. The pace of the game is also really slow for a GTA game.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited June 2010
    I'm tempted by the Commandos collection and the X-Com pack. Not sure yet, though.
    GTA IV I'm skipping.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • X-Com pack.
    If not, at least buy the first one, its only like $1.

-Enforcer and Interceptor won't work on most current systems
    -Terror from the deep has a bug that makes winning the game impossible if research is not done in a very specific order and the ship missions are way long and sometimes bugged as well
    -Apocalypse is good, but not as good as the original.
  • That Call of duty pack keeps calling too me if it was only 20 bucks I would totally buy it now.. I also still pissed that 1C Company bundle which was going for 20 bucks disappeared...
  • I'm thinking of getting the Introversion Pack for $5, and Mount and Blade Warband for $15. I've wanted both of those for so long, and finally they are on sale. YES.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks for that description Andrew, does that expansion work with the original game or next to it (I.E. if I buy the game will everyone have moved on to that arrowhead game>)
    Operation Arrowhead is a stand alone game. However, you need the original to use A2 assets in multiplayer.
    My rule is that if it's military-themed and Andrew likes it, it's not my type of game.
    Yeah, I've come to realize that my video game tastes are...specialized.
    Post edited by Andrew on

• This video made me buy Arma. I had no idea it was that realistic.
  • it will be in the airport for a short time on Thursday,
    How short and when? LAX is really close to where I live, I could hop over there, give you a high five, and exchange a few words before you have to leave.
    As it turns out, I arrive at 4:30pm and leave at 9pm Thursday; I have more time than I thought.
  • I'm tempted by the Commandos collection and the X-Com pack. Not sure yet, though.
    GTA IV I'm skipping.
    I ended up buying both packs.
  • Nothing of interest to me today, it seems. I already bought Mass Effect 2 at 40% off in a previous sale.