This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Summer Sale

Comments

• I thought this was interestingI didn't realize that Steam nixes games that have a bad meta critic score...
  • I'm interested in Guild 2 and maybe Red Orchestra. Anybody have opinions on those?
  • I'm interested in Guild 2 and maybe Red Orchestra. Anybody have opinions on those?
    I quite like Red Orchestra, but the only populated American server plays one map constantly, and bad ping can really mess with your aim on larger maps. If you're really interested just wait for the sequel to come out.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah! A good day for patching up my collection. Going to need some more money in the bank though (Don't want to even risk going overdrawn.). Going to get Mars Asshole, Left 4 Dead and Flatout.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The Void is a really really trippy game. For $5, I highly recommend it.
  • Mars Asshole,
    Whaaa?
  • edited June 2010
    Whaaa?
    I believe he's referring to Space Asshole (Red Faction: Guerrilla).

This song is going to get stuck in my head again, but I'm OK with that.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited June 2010
    Correction: This is space asshole:

That is a surprisingly good song.
  • Plugging Idle Thumbs, the podcast Space Asshole originated from.
  • I finally broke down and picked up a few things - the Introversion complete pack, Shatter (think Breakout in outer space), Guns of Icarus, and Overlord II (it was cheap and I already own the first one)
  • I seriously considered buying Space Asshole: The Game, but then I realized that A) it's probably best played as a console game, and B) my computer is ill-equipped for gaming.
  • A) it's probably best played as a console game
    Why?
  • A) it's probably best played as a console game
    Why?
    I just get that vibe from it. I don't currently have a game controller for my PC, so I think it would dampen the experience somewhat.
  • I just get that vibe from it. I don't currently have a game controller for my PC, so I think it would dampen the experience somewhat.
    The mouse controls are as smooth as you could want them to be, if I remember correctly.
  • edited June 2010
    I just get that vibe from it. I don't currently have a game controller for my PC, so I think it would dampen the experience somewhat.
    The mouse controls are as smooth as you could want them to be, if I remember correctly.
    That's reassuring. As an aside, do you think they'll cut the price on Counter-Strike?
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • That's reassuring. As an aside, do you think they'll cut the price on Counter-Strike?
    Um, I think they already did.
  • That's reassuring. As an aside, do you think they'll cut the price on Counter-Strike?
    Um, I think they already did.
    EFF. Oh well, time to take a closer look at The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom and that pack with Multiwinia in it.
  • edited June 2010
    CSS really isn't worth buying now anyway, imo. I played a few hours about a week ago and it feels completely dated, especially gameplay-wise. It was like nothing else five years ago, but these days it seems horribly bland compared to other FPSes. CS has become obsoleted in the past two or so years of FPS innovation.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I believe he's referring to Space Asshole (Red Faction: Guerrilla).
    This is my Fault - I started calling it Mars Asshole once I played Force unleashed, because RF:G happens entirely on Mars(barring a cutscene or two) but Force unleashed is set, at least 50 percent of the time, in space, albeit on spaceships, but still, in space.

Thus, due to it's greater time spent in space, and it's greater potential for direct assholery, I dubbed it space asshole, and re-dubbed RF:G to Mars Asshole.
  • edited July 2010
    CSS really isn't worth buying now anyway, imo. I played a few hours about a week ago and it feels completely dated, especially gameplay-wise. It was like nothing else five years ago, but these days it seems horribly bland compared to other FPSes. CS has become obsoleted in the past two or so years of FPS innovation.
    It is a good test of skill. Modern FPSes are more about the levelling and special new perks, almost like an MMO
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I'd like to hear more detail from that argument, particularly as to how the gameplay is dated.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about The Void and Shatter. I considered some others like Torchlight, but it was quickly dismissed because I wouldn't touch an Action RPG without co-op.
    The Guild 2 is pretty good, IMHO. You start with a single character, a crappy house and some money, and you have to rise to power. You get married, have children, buy yourself titles of nobility, apply for public office, and maybe one day, if you make enough allies/kill enough enemies, and you can become king.

The money-making aspects are the game are OK. You choose what class you want to be at character creation - Patron (farmers, bakers and pub owners), Craftsman (carpenters, blacksmiths and jewelers), Scholar (doctors, arcanists and priests) or Rogue (soldiers and thieves), and then make money in your chosen field.

The awesome and unique aspect of the game is how you use that money - the political system. You can bribe people to vote for you, or charm them, but once you hold office you are given powers to influence members of your town. For example, the low-level office of Guild Master gives you control of tax inspectors, who can shut down businesses for quite a while - very useful when used against your opponents. At the top of most cities is the Soverign, who votes on all positions in the council (rather than just the level below, as is the case for all other offices), and that's what you should aim for - because the Soverign votes on all appointments, bribery becomes a very lucrative source of income.

You can also charge your enemies with crimes and prosecute them in court. Somebody stole from your business? Take them to court, bribe the jurors, and see them executed for stealing a few loaves of bread. Also, doesn't hurt if you or a member of your family is the Chief Magistrate, who both sets the severity of punishment, and presides over all court cases.

If any of that seems interesting, at $6 it's worth checking out. And if enough people buy it, we should do some multiplayer political carnage. First to become king wins!
  • edited June 2010
    I am now very, very intrigued. Might grab just the first game.
  • edited June 2010
    I am now very, very intrigued. Might grab just the first game.
    Noonononono, grab Pirates of the European Seas, it has The Guild II built into it. The first one is worthless.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • The Void and Space Asshole.
  • edited June 2010
    How so? You keep all the game-play but loose the setting?

Holy fuck, this game looks so far up my alley it's got it's own parking space.

What!? There is a game where one of your unit types is Pirate Wench and I have never even heard of it!
  • edited July 2010
    How so? You keep all the game-play but loose the setting?
    Nope, here's the deal:

Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas = Guild 2 vanilla (has no campaign) + a campaign and some extra maps, buildings and political positions. It's a completely standalone expansion that includes all the content from the original.
    Holy fuck, this game looks so far up my alley it's got it's own parking space.
    Yeah, that was my reaction when I first played it.

EDIT: If you want to see how it plays, look to none other than the Let's Play pimp supreme, one f jeff (sadly, he's playing the original, not the expansion):

Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • So, RF:G is a good use of $5?

Also, how's FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage? I liked the first FlatOut game, but didn't really care for the 2nd. Worth $2?
  • Anyone played Plain Sight? I've been eyeing it, and it's part of a package along with Crayon Physics, which was fun.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone played Plain Sight? I've been eyeing it, and it's part of apackagealong with Crayon Physics, which was fun.
    I have both games. Plain Sight is super fun, but servers are relatively empty except at peak times of day, which sucks. But I enjoyed both Crayon Physics and Blueberry Garden greatly, so I'd say that's a pretty solid combo of games.
    Post edited by Sail on