This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Can chain restaurants be good?

edited June 2010 in Everything Else
I was reading over the staggering list of Chain Restaurants in the US and I actually like some of them. Five Guys, Shane's Rib Shack, and Moe's to be specific. The portions, price, service, and food quality are all above average. Shane's Rib Shack especially. I'm just looking for other people's input on the subject. Can chain restaurants be good, or does cookie cutter culinary arts lack flavor?

Also, I fucking hate P.F. Chang's, Olive Garden, and TGI Friday's. The food is bad, and the prices are way too hi.

List of International chain restaurants. It surprises me that Subway has more locations then McDonalds and is still the fastest growing.

Comments

• Capital Grill is a chain.
  • edited June 2010
    Capital Grille is a chain owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden.

Also, Chipotle.

If you want to open a new McDonald's, they will probably tell you no. They research locations a great deal, and they do not want you to open a new franchise that will fail. It looks really bad if a brand new McDonald's is built, and then disappears. Have you seen that happen? It's pretty rare, and they like to keep it that way. They also don't want you to cannibalize another McDonald's.

Subway, on the other hand, will let you open fuck anywhere. You got money, feel free to open a Subway in the middle of death vallye. Also, opening a Subway is really cheap compared to opening just about anything else. Think about the equipment and amount of real estate you need to open a McDonald's. Now think about a Subway. A Subway can be handled by a single employee. Most of the food there requires minimal preparation, and is inexpensive. Subway takes up only a little space, so rent is tiny. Franchising efficiency is pretty much the key to Subway's success.

P.F. Chang's is good food, even though it's pricey.

I don't like Five Guys. I wouldn't say it sucks, but I don't prefer it. The peanuts and potatoes are a good shtick, but the burger's are unimpressive. I think there are two reasons I don't like it. First of all, in NYC there are multiple other competitors that do not exist out in the uncivilized areas. When a Five Guys is competing with fast food, it wins every time. It's only when you have the likes of Good Burger, Island Burger, and the other amazing NYC burger chains that Five Guys gets beat. Even so, they are doing good business in NYC. Also, I don't like them because the default is a double burger. Not a fan. One patty only please.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yes, chains can be good.
  • I love me some Chipotle!
  • edited June 2010
    One patty only please.
    Blasphemy!!!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • One patty only please.
    Blasphemy!!!
    Fudruckers.
  • One patty only please.
    You can order it with just one patty, y'know.

Five Guys needs to 1) offer milkshakes and 2) give you alternate choices of cheese.
  • I keep hearing good things about Texas Roadhouse. I may have to drive to Kingston some day to check it out... This gives me an idea...

Has anyone been to a Joe's Crab Shack? I keep seeing the commercials but I don't think there's one in NY.
  • The only memory I have of Five Guys is when my grandma ordered a veggie burger and got a slice of tomato and some lettuce on a bun.
  • 2) give you alternate choices of cheese.
    They give you a choice of cheese! With cheese or without cheese. :)
  • The only memory I have of Five Guys is when my grandma ordered a veggie burger and got a slice of tomato and some lettuce on a bun.
    Why would a vegetarian visit a burger joint and expect anything remotely decent?
  • Why would a vegetarian visit a burger joint and expect anything remotely decent?
    Portobello burgers, for one.
  • You can order it with just one patty, y'know.
    But just one is tiny and greasy. It's not big and juicy.
  • Shane's BBQ = Yum.

Yes, chains can be good. Many people say a chain restaurant is bad by virtue of being a chain, and not because it actually has bad food. Those people are pretentious snobs. It's fine to say you don't like going to chains because you like unique places, but they shouldn't say they are Bad just because they are chains.
  • edited June 2010
    But just one is tiny and greasy. It's not big and juicy.
    It's a fast food place. Thick burgers require time and skill to cook well, thin burgers are much easier to cook well in a quick fashion.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • t's a fast food place. Thick burgers require time and skill to cook well, thin burgers are much easier to cook well in a quick fashion.
    Goodburger is just as fast, and serves real burgers. Thick and juicy. They also have good shakes and awesome onion rings (but only so-so fries).
  • Goodburger is just as fast, and serves real burgers. Thick and juicy. They also have good shakes and awesome onion rings (but only so-so fries).
    A New York only chain?
  • edited June 2010
    "Welcome to Goodburger, where we make good burgers!"
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • A New York only chain?
    I believe so. I've never seen one anywhere else.
  • "welcome to Goodburger, home of the good burger!"
    *facepalm
  • "welcome to Goodburger,home of thegood burger!"
    *facepalm
    Well it's the obvious joke isn't it?
  • One thing I've wanted to know for a while: Is Good Burger the chain in any way related to Good Burger the All That skit?
    Also, having tried Good Burger and Five guys, are there any other burger places in NYC worth visiting?
  • edited June 2010
    Goodburger is just as fast,
    Not if they're cooking their beef properly. How many ounces are in a standard Goodburger patty?

EDIT: Website says 5.5 oz. A single Five Guys burger patty is 94 grams. 188 grams for two. That's 6.6 ounces. They might be able to keep up if they cook their burgers to medium rare, but I doubt that.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • are there any other burger places in NYC worth visiting?
    Island Burger. Shake Shack (not the best burgers, but better than Five Guys, and with shakes and ambiance). Jackson Hole.
  • Not if they're cooking their beef properly.
    He he, physics are a bitch. ^_^
  • I keep hearing good things about Texas Roadhouse.
    Of all the steak chains, this one has the best quality-to-price ratio, in my opinion.

In other news, Olive Garden is overpriced fast food Italian. I do, however, like their soup.
  • are there any other burger places in NYC worth visiting?
    Island Burger. Shake Shack (not the best burgers, but better than Five Guys, and with shakes and ambiance). Jackson Hole.
    I know what I'm doing for lunch for the next several days now...
  • Has anyone been to a Joe's Crab Shack? I keep seeing the commercials but I don't think there's one in NY.
    According to their website there are no Joe's Crab Shack restaurants in NY state. A couple in Jersey, but nothing in NY. I've been there as there are a few within driving distance of me here in the Midwest. The crab was decent, but I'm not a huge fan of crab so I usually go for one of the mixed platters. The steampots are pretty good, too, but my GF almost tossed her cookies when I took to sucking the brains out of the heads of the crawfish in the Orleans-style pot, so I'm forbidden from ever ordering that one again. :D
  • Olive Garden is overpriced fast food Italianshit
    "Italian" should never be used to describe Olive Garden's food.
  • Not if they're cooking their beef properly. How many ounces are in a standard Goodburger patty?
    You realize that they have enough turnover that they constantly cook burgers (by hand) all day. So, if you order a burger, they've already got one cooking fresh, which they finish and give to you almost immediately. The use metrics to determine how many burgers to start at a particular time, and any "wasted" burgers (finished when there's no customer ordering) are turned into chili.

Cooking an individual burger from the raw starting when a customer ordered would be ludicrous.