This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Iron Sky

edited June 2010 in Movies
Have you seen all this stuff about Iron Sky?

http://www.ironsky.net/

This is amazing. It's a movie about Nazis who left Earth at the end of the war, and went to the dark side of the moon. Then in 2018 they come back to invade earth. That's a fun geeky concept, though I don't know if the result will actually be high quality.

Anyway, the important part is not the movie itself, but the funding of the movie. They have mostly traditional funding sources, but they have a significant portion of investment from the crowd. Ok, that's not really new, it's just the same as kickstarter, right?

Well, the interesting thing here is that your investment is actually an investment, for real. You give them money, and it goes into escrow. The money can only be used for production costs of the movie. Then if the movie makes money, you make money, just as if you had invested in a stock. If the movie costs $100 to make, and you invest $1. If the movie has revenues of $200, you get $2!

If someone puts a movie on kickstarter, the best you can hope for in exchange for your donation is the movie itself, maybe a DVD. The fact that there is an opportunity to profit really changes the whole situation.

I would really like to see some technology projects try this approach. Imagine someone doing this to make a video game. What does a Dwarf Fortress donation get you? Nothing. Now imagine if it got you a share of the revenues of the eventual commercial release. I imagine there would be a lot more investment going on, and that it would provide necessary funds to hire more people and make the product better.

Comments

• I have been waiting for this since I first heard about it, two to three years ago.

Fun fact; The main people behind this movie are the same people who made the Star Werck movie.
  • I think the one problem they have is that in order to give money, you have to email them and fill out forms and such. It's not just as simple as Paypal, which is probably resulting in them getting less money than they could otherwise get.
  • I think the one problem they have is that in order to give money, you have to email them and fill out forms and such. It's not just as simple as Paypal, which is probably resulting in them getting less money than they could otherwise get.
    That's the difference between donation and investment. When you donate, you just throw money to people you like, but investment has all that getting money back from it and stuff you can't just throw money at someone and expect them to give some of it back. Tough they could and maybe should have also normal quick and easy donation system, using paypal or something like that.
  • That's the difference between donation and investment. When you donate, you just throw money to people you like, but investment has all that getting money back from it and stuff you can't just throw money at someone and expect them to give some of it back. Tough they could and maybe should have also normal quick and easy donation system, using paypal or something like that.
    They could also have an automated investment system. They just have to put the necessary documents online, have you fill out a bunch of information, and then take your money at the end.
    This is taxable, and subject to much more legal stuff than just a donation. It involves more paperwork and tracking on their side, so it shouldn't be too "easy" to become an investor: otherwise problems can arise.
  • This is taxable, and subject to much more legal stuff than just a donation. It involves more paperwork and tracking on their side, so it shouldn't be too "easy" to become an investor: otherwise problems can arise.
    You can still do it with online forms.

Actually, if Etrade, Ameritrade, Scottrade, etc. wanted to make money they could make a PayPal of investment. You get a free account with them to be an investor, or a non-free account to be an investee. The investee puts a link on their site that says "invest in us through *trade." You do a bunch of paperwork to get the free account from whoever it is, then you can use that account to invest in projects like this. They wouldn't do commissions, they would make the money by charging the investee for their account. They could also make money by handling the other services such as escrow and such.
  • Thanks Scott. Now I finally have a way to get the capital for an adult film studio. Now I need talent...

Girls: Whisper me a comment if you're interested.

Guy: Keep it in your pants.
  • Guy: Keep it in your pants.
    But...but...but...I wanted to work on the audio and video production....
  • But...but...but...I wanted to work on the audio and video production....
    Then keeping it in your pants shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless your production techniques are particularly unorthodox.
  • I'm actually considering making a not insubstantial investment in this.
  • edited June 2010
    Then keeping it in your pants shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless your production techniques are particularly unorthodox.
    It is on record from the old radio show that both "My job is easy, I just come in and spend two hours fiddling with my knobs on a sunday morning" and that in a great tragedy, "Shit, I broke me knob."

But really, I'm not kidding - I don't give a fuck about the acting, if I was that desperate to get laid, I'd go to a bar and lie to drunk girls. What I find exciting and interesting are the challenges that the production itself requires, from Actor wrangling, to Camera angles, the cameras themselves, the sound recording equipment and production, the lighting, the setting, the writing, the music, all that shit.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Same here. Now this makes me think of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where George and Larry are having lunch and Larry wants to know what George is tipping so he doesn't look like a douche.
    Do you still have the moustache? You would be the perfect B-movie producer if you are still rocking that moustache.
  • edited July 2010
    Minimum investment is 1000 euros. Only way to give less than that is to buy merch.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Minimum investment is 1000 euros. Only way to give less than that is to buy merch.
    I'm already in talks with them.
  • New trailer is out