This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Several major MMO's going to F2P model.

I was surprised to hear this, but several big MMO's are going to a free-to-play model, meaning you just buy the the game and can play online without having to pay additional fees.
Free-to-Play MMOs
Also surprising is that these aren't those low-quality Korean-style MMO's based on micro-transactions. LOTROL was a big deal when it came out, and so was D&DOL, and both have moved to a Guild-Wars style of "buy it once, play forever" model. The short article focuses on Bilzzard specifically, and weather or not they would consider making WoW F2P. Spoiler: They said 'fuck no'.

Comments

• AFAIK these MMOS, such as D&DOL do use the Korean model. They gladly sell you all sorts of shit.
  • When it went freeplay, I played D&D Online... for about two hours.

The big problem with the games that have recently gone free-to-play isn't that their pay model sucks, it's that they're all trying to be WoW and failing hard. If someone made a new kind of MMO that I'd want to play, I'd pay double WoW's monthly fee or more.
  • One MMO that I'm currently in the Beta for, Need For Speed Online, uses the Free-To-Play Model.
  • It's been announced that the Torchlight MMO will be free to play. The president of the game's developer has said though he wouldn't spend any real money in the game's store, since that's not the kind of gamer he is, which seems like a good sign to me.
  • It's been announced that the Torchlight MMO will be free to play. The president of the game's developer has said though he wouldn't spend any real money in the game's store, since that's not the kind of gamer he is, which seems like a good sign to me.
    They also said they want to make it so the single player game of the Torchlight MMO is playable, which makes me question it's massiveness.
    They also said they want to make it so the single player game of the Torchlight MMO is playable, which makes me question it's massiveness.
    I imagine it'll be like Guild Wars, where there are hub areas/towns where players can mingle and join up in groups. Then they go into instanced dungeons, probably randomly generated, that scale based on number of players or the player's level or whatnot.
  • edited July 2010
    I imagine it'll be like Guild Wars, where there are hub areas/towns where players can mingle and join up in groups. Then they go into instanced dungeons, probably randomly generated, that scale based on number of players or the player's level or whatnot.
    If that's an MMO, then the already existing Torchlight is an MMO. Internet multiplayer games have had machup-chat lobbies for almost as long as they have existed. Letting people have avatars in the lobby instead of just a chat room doesn't make the game an MMO.
    Post edited by Apreche on