This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

Comments

• Yesterday, it was 30 degrees ambient, but due to the shitty design of my house, my room was 41 degrees. Aircon, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    You'll get yours. Tilt you fucking axis!
  • Everything here is covered in ice. They canceled the Winter Storm Warning, but the sidewalks are treacherous enough to keep me from going to campus.
    At least you have sidewalks, mine are still buried. >_<</p>
    Yeah, nothing in Troy is plowed except for a few select streets, and my campus. My own street is sort of plowed in, as it dead ends on one side, and the first cross street has been plowed. Walking on the hills/slopes in this soft snow is both tiring and treacherous. There were a dozen or so people shoveling or snow blowing their sidewalks so I'm hopeful for when I have to go back.
  • It will probably be a "snow day" for me tomorrow. ^_^
  • Apparently Rochester is going to have a huge snow storm tomorrow. I can't wait!
  • If I didn't have air conditioning, I'd definitely be bitching about the heat.
  • If I didn't have air conditioning, I'd definitely be bitching about the heat.
    Rather, yes.
  • Columbia's sidewalks are covered in ice. It makes for good impromptu skating, but it's surprisingly dangerous to go outside right now.
  • 1 inch of Ice outside and looks like I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow.
  • My dad got a sunburn the other day, because he spent the afternoon on the porch. In his bathing suit.

It's cold and icky again, but goddamn was that a good day.
  • 0.7 degrees Fahrenheit outside this morning, not accounting for the wind chill.

Woman.
  • This snow storm is totally lame. I wanted whiteout levels of snow.
    Yeah, pretty much. I got out of ASL class for it, and the roads seem pretty un-fun to drive on, but it's not quite as big as I expected.
  • 72 degrees outside. In North Carolina. In the beginning of February. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Yeah, pretty much. I got out of ASL class for it, and the roads seem pretty un-fun to drive on, but it's not quite as big as I expected.
    Yeah, I know, right? Just think of all the people that won't be injured in car accidents and all the elderly/infirm people that won't die because of massive power outages. :P
  • all the elderly/infirm people that won't die because of massive power outages
    We need snowstorms just like the forest needs fires; we have to clear out all the old growth every now and again. :P

Yeah, I was definitely expecting a worse storm, though the wintry mix still made the roads pretty hazardous.
  • We need snowstorms just like the forest needs fires; we have to clear out all the old growth every now and again. :P
    Um... not how all forest fires work. Not even how the majority of forest fires work. However, I will spare you the lecture because I know it was just a smart-ass comment.
  • not how all forest fires work.
    I'm glad you said not all, because some definitely do enough to make a smart-ass comment about them :-p
  • not how all forest fires work.
    I'm glad you said not all, because some definitely do enough to make a smart-ass comment about them :-p
    Yeah, some forest systems work with a catastrophic fire regime, particularly coastal ones. It's not really so much to clear out the old growth though... those forests don't generally have what you'd call old growth because of the fire regime. Most forests that aren't specifically adapted to that regime are better off with frequent low-burning fires that clear out the underbrush, deadfalls, and debris, but leave the large, old trees. That's kind of the opposite of clearing out the old growth.
  • Yeah, some forest systems work with a catastrophic fire regime, particularly coastal ones. It's not really so much to clear out the old growth though... those forests don't generally have what you'd call old growth because of the fire regime. Most forests that aren't specifically adapted to that regime are better off with frequent low-burning fires that clear out the underbrush, deadfalls, and debris, but leave the large, old trees. That's kind of the opposite of clearing out the old growth.
    I knew you would wind up explaining it anyway. :P

<3
  • Yeah, some forest systems work with a catastrophic fire regime, particularly coastal ones. It's not really so much to clear out the old growth though... those forests don't generally have what you'd call old growth because of the fire regime. Most forests that aren't specifically adapted to that regime are better off with frequent low-burning fires that clear out the underbrush, deadfalls, and debris, but leave the large, old trees. That's kind of the opposite of clearing out the old growth.
    In fact, down here, we even have plants to which fire is an essential part of their life cycle - much like Scott, they pretty much can't reproduce without being set on fire.
  • I knew you would wind up explaining it anyway. :P
    I'm just too smart to keep it all to myself. I have to share.
    much like Scott, they pretty much can't reproduce without being set on fire.
    LOL. We have those too - that's the catastrophic fire regime. Usually they require high heat to open the seed pods or cones to release the seed. It gives them the best chance at success, since their seeds will basically be planted in new soil with very little competition.
  • I live in Austin, so take the following lightly.

It's 22 F here, an 18 F low tonight. Tomorrow is a 31 F high, and we have a good chance of an (Austin) snow day on Friday!
  • It's 60 and I'm stuck in an office working rather than driving my convertible. :(
  • It is indeed very nice out. I may rollerblade to work tomorrow if this keeps up.
  • It is indeed very nice out. I may rollerblade to work tomorrow if this keeps up.
    I know if I prepare my bicycle tonight that the sound of air inflating tires will awaken Old Man Winter, Jack Frost, Mr. Freeze, Frosty the Snowman, and the rest of the Cabal of Cold. Do I dare risk it?
  • I need to start bringing extra clothes to class if I stay extra long.
    I know if I prepare my bicycle tonight that the sound of air inflating tires will awaken Old Man Winter, Jack Frost, Mr. Freeze, Frosty the Snowman, and the rest of the Cabal of Cold. Do I dare risk it?
    Please do!!! Im sick of this warm weather melting all my snow. We need another good 3 snow storms tbis winter.
    Please do!!! Im sick of this warm weather melting all my snow. We need another good 3 snow storms tbis winter.
    Shove it.