This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Natal virtual reality and AI

edited July 2010 in Video Games
'Virtual human' Milo comes out to play at TED in Oxford
This is both amazing and disturbing at the same time. I can see a lot of "quality" products from Japan with this technology.

Comments

• 'Virtual human' Milo comes out to play at TED in Oxford
    This is both amazing and disturbing at the same time. I can see a lot of "quality" products from Japan with this technology.
    How is it disturbing?
  • I can see a lot of "quality" products from Japan with this technology.
    I can see there being a very interesting market for grieving families. Imagine if you could construct a convincing "enough" AI of a dead person using existing media of them. Pictures, videos, diary, audio recordings, etc... It could be a very lucrative service as a way for families to say their last goodbyes.
  • How is it disturbing?
    The whole interacting with something not sentient like it is. The uncanny valley. The more lifelike it is, the more disturbing. Its like someone is actually trapped within a virtual world. Just me?
  • How is it disturbing?
    The whole interacting with something not sentient like it is. The uncanny valley. The more lifelike it is, the more disturbing. Its like someone is actually trapped within a virtual world. Just me?
    That's how they make it. They take babies and shove them into DVD's.
  • edited July 2010

"Let me say, friendship is where we commune together to accomplish something important, like building a better future... or conspiring to take over the planet."
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • The uncanny valley. The more lifelike it is, the more disturbing.
    To a point, at which we go up the other side of the valley!
  • Memo to self: File patents on teledildonics hardware and software for the 360 in the morning...
  • Jules is pretty cool. I can't wait for androids.
  • 'Virtual human' Milo comes out to play at TED in Oxford
    I looked into that video and it actually was shown on Xbox Live a wile ago. I also found out that it was basically an illusion, since the software didn't actually work and the woman was only acting along with Milo's pre-programmed path. It wasn't actually reacting to her. I find the entire concept pretty interesting, but in the extended features of Natal, I can see my arms getting pretty tired by having to wave them around to navigate menus or hold them up to play a driving game.
  • "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo." - Old PC salesman's take on Clarke's law
  • I can see my arms getting pretty tired by having to wave them around to navigate menus or hold them up to play a driving game.
    See, this is what I don't get - People seem to be assuming Natal is an either or situation, rather than being able to be combined with a controller. How about this - You're sitting down, using your racing wheel, and as you turn your head slightly, your view in the game changes some, as if you were looking around the corner? Or, you're playing modern warfare, and you can give hand signals to your squadmates, and point to where you want them to go?
  • How about this - You're sitting down, using your racing wheel, and as you turn your head slightly, your view in the game changes some, as if you were looking around the corner? Or, you're playing modern warfare, and you can give hand signals to your squadmates, and point to where you want them to go?
    The same could have been said for the DS touchscreen/dual screen and the Wii controller. And yet, the vast majority of games included boring, gimmicky garbage or made only the most utilitarian usage possible.

Will this be any different?
  • Will this be any different?
    Well, that's the thing - to the best of my knowledge, it's not something that's been demonstrated so far, only the wavy around dancy stuff.
    After all, there have been games which used the Wii and DS controls well, and a ton of shovelware games for them. I'm under no illusion that this will be any different, really, but it's hard to tell till it comes out.
    Also, Microsoft is playing it up big about the whole "WOAH, MOTION CONTROL WITHOUT A CONTROLLER" angle - but realistically, we're not going to see non-shovelware racing games where you play without a controller, because they know that people won't go for it - remember Mario cart wii's control scheme where you used the wiimote like a wheel, And how much that sucked?